suspension options that aren't D2 expensive

Lance_S

Springs, shocks, struts, etc.

What is out there and what isn't a grand! I would like to lower the car a little bit but I dont' want it slammed. I want it to handle well and ride well.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Lance

Your best bet for the rears is prolly gonna be the mr2 strut conversion with your choice of tokico or gr2 inserts.

For the front you can still buy replacement inserts.

So that leaves the lowering - most seem to like the cosmo "sleeve overs" because they are cheaper than eibach lowering springs and with the sleeve overs you have adjustability.

Installing a set of Front and Rear lowering springs and some KYBs is the cheapest way to go.The Adjustable Coilover set ups out there for our cars are limited. A Canadian company (Cosmo) and Mooketh when it comes to Adjustable Coilovers. AND!!!!!!!! D2s at $940.00. I have a set of the D2s, And I am very happy :D I have also had a set of the Mooketh Adjustable Coilovers on my car. There is a BIG difference between them and the D2s. I have never had lowering springs on my ESI-R, although I did have a set of Z28 Lowering springs on my 1979 Camaro..I liked them. You might want to post a question to members who have run Lowering springs and aftermarket Struts on their Starquests to get some feedback.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

scooter LOL

Looking at the s13 coil-overs;

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/wm.php/images/greddys14coilover.jpg

it looks as though it might require more fabrication that what i am capable of. :(

Edited by NotStock88

It wouldnt take much more then installing d2s I bet the struts nuts are the same size as the d2 so mookeehs camber plates would work.

So, is the plan to cut the bottom of the Front Aftermarket Coil overs off and fit them to our strut tubes??? Just Curious. The Fronts on those look a lot higher than D2s. So, if you cut them off too short you would lose the full adjustment feature, correct. Do you know what the tube ID/OD is on them? Scooter, All the Fully Adjustable Greedy Type-S coil overs I have seen are appox: $1300.00 to $1700.00. Seems to me that the D2s at $940.00 are a steal :D

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

So, is the plan to cut the bottom of the Front Aftermarket Coil overs off and fit them to our strut tubes??? Just Curious. The Fronts on those look a lot higher than D2s. So, if you cut them off too short you would lose the full adjustment feature, correct. Do you know what the tube ID/OD is on them? Scooter, All the Fully Adjustable Greedy Type-S coil overs I have seen are appox: $1300.00 to $1700.00. Seems to me that the D2s at $940.00 are a steal :D

Bill

I have not done any actual measuring but yes that is what I would like to do. And I would spend the extra money on a quality coilover from japan then some junk from china/korea that couldn't be rebuilt. And I did say used coilovers you could pick up a set of tokicos for 500

I would love to do D2's don't get me wrong, I just don't have the jack set aside for that right now. I was just starting to think about it though. The mechanical side of the car is getting really close so it's time to start looking at the suspension. I have an EBC and a 6al yet to go and then the mechanical side is done. So just starting to try and put a list of all the suspension options that are available and what type of money they are.

Truth is, if the next best thing to D2's cost $500.00 I will save another $450 and get the D2's. But if I could put something on that would be a serious improvement over what is currently on (stock old worn out crap with 100K miles on it) that might be in the 250 to 350 range it might be worth looking at.

So keep the ideas coming,

THanks guys,

Lance

For easy, you have one option, find a set of the discontinued (for the rear struts, fronts are still available for both) for a couple years, and impossible to find Tokico Blues or KYBs, and lower springs or Cosmo sleeve-overs. NO fab work.

Option 2, MK1 struts (if he still sells them), lower springs (I heard the MK1 struts don't last that long, ESPECIALLY when lowered).

Both of those, roughly a minimum of ~$400. The first with the Tokicos and KYBs is gonna be more $$$ since you can't buy the rears anymore, so you'll have to get them second hand, or you'll pay more because someone set aside a set.

Then you have the MR2 insert option. This will require fab work no matter what. There are a couple options on which way you go, I won't go into them, I'll just summarize. Non-adjustable inserts will cost less, expect $200 minimum for the inserts. Then lowering springs (you might be able to use them if you plan it right), OR Cosmo Sleeve overs, both are another $200. so minimum of $400 if you don't use camber plates. And this doesn't include any fab time you do, or have someone do. (spacers or shortening housings, welding on the rear struts, which is necessary unless you buy mookeeh's casings, new springs perchs for the sleeveovers, etc.)

MY MR2 suspension is a bit more. I have Tokico Illumina adjustable inserts ($500 for all 4) with the Cosmo Sleeve-overs (another $200) and pillow ball camber plates all around ($100 for the front, GP price, $200 for the rears that you can't buy anymore) So I have over $1000 into my setup.

So if you want to go lower than stock, and have ANY sort of adjustability it's gonna be hard to beat the bargain that the D2's are.

I did not include the Ground Control sleeve-overs because they're twice the price of the Cosmos.

scooter LOL

it looks as though it might require more fabrication that what i am capable of. :(

Those look amazing.

d2s are a bargain when u see what you get, and dial them in. I learned a long time ago, do things right and you get further. Hence i started the whole d2 project. Trust me you wont be disappointed in them. And now that we have D2's we can go up higher in quality with better suspension options from them. Because they do offer 3 different kinds of coilovers, if there was ever a high enough request for higher end product with more adjustability they can do it, because they have all our specifications.

• 4 months later...

you can go the MR2 route, with non-adjustable inserts, and Cosmo coilovers for $400-500, but that's just for the sleeve-overs and inserts. Then you either need to cut the front housings down, or make spacers to take up the extra length, and for the rear, either grab a set of mookeeh's empty casings (more $$$, and stay away from his strut inserts), or mod stockers (can be done with SHP housings, or non-shp with the top threaded portion from an extra set of fronts).

But in all honesty, the D2's are a HUGE bargain for what you get. I also recommend waiting and saving up for them. If I didn't already have a completed MR2 setup, I'd be saving up for the D2's myself.

-Derek

Edited by D_Venable

• 2 weeks later...
scooter LOL

Slightly off-topic, and a fee months after the fact, but I felt the need to add my two-cents to this:

Theres a company in Canada (Vancouver I believe) by the name of SerialNine, who specializes in parts for x73, x83, and x90 Cressidas and Chasers. The x73 Cressy in particular uses the same strut tube/spindle combo as our cars, with what I believe to be the same tube diameter. Now, SerialNine is a Stance coilover distributor (awesome coils BTW), and can order S-chassis components if needed, but heres my thought - buy two pairs of their threaded tubes (meant for the Stance coilovers to be used on the Cressida) and an S13 Stance coil kit, and modify them to fit into our cars. I may go this route with the Conquest. It's just an idea, but a very viable one it is.

• 4 weeks later...