getting hot on warmup.

kyle's89quest

I started a thread a while back when it was 100 plus outside. I cant find my old thread to revisit, so im making a new one. Now it is in the 50's and 60's outside and my car is full of coolent, ill get about 3 miles down the road and it starts getting hot. like almost to the "H" mark. but a little under it. Then it hovers for a while and just as im about to pull over and check it out, the temp starts going down to normal and stays there for the rest of the drive. Im going to advaced auto to buy a new thermostat and try that out since it is cheep. Anyone have some input it would be great. oh and no compression problems or bad hoses.(that i know of)

Thanks,

Kyle.

thats another thing. IF i park the car when it gets hot and shut it off, (like at the royal farms where i get a coffee every morning) i get back in the car and the temp is down to where it should be. witch is quarter gauge. I feel like it shouldnt cool down that fast if it was that hot. I guess i have to wait till tomarow when i put the new t stat in.

I am having the same problem, just takes about 10 minutes before it gets that hot. The temp rises, I get nervous, I hear the fans and say "what the f", then it cools down. Its driving me crazy because I know its clean, full of coolant, no leaks and fans work fine. I'll be watching this

thats another thing. IF i park the car when it gets hot and shut it off, (like at the royal farms where i get a coffee every morning) i get back in the car and the temp is down to where it should be. witch is quarter gauge. I feel like it shouldnt cool down that fast if it was that hot. I guess i have to wait till tomarow when i put the new t stat in.

This sounds like an electrical resistance problem - the longer the engine is run and the sensor is reading engine temp, heat is being built up causing increased resistence in the sensor and/or it's wiring.

Or it may be that the engine temperature sender for the engine temp guage has decided that it has had enough. Pull it and check it IAW FSM page 8-165 and the guage itself 8-167.

Also check the sensor's electrical connector metal terminal for evidence of corrosion/dirt or green corroded wiring.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot

Here is a link to FSM Chapter 8. I can not give you a direct link to the individual pages. :unsure:

http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/service/conquest/1988/88_conquest_service_manual_-_group_26_-_electrical.pdf

For What It's Worth.

KEN

test the alt voltage when first start'd at say 1800 rpms, then test the voltage at the oil temp sender wire,,it should pulse to aprox 6-7 volts in a pulseing fashion not a steady reading,, the voltage controler may be sticking and sending too much voltage to the sender ,do the other guges act normal al lthe time

a small hole in the thermostat will elim any air pockets in the system

I just replaced the t stat and. presto. problem solved. It didnt look like it was bad, but now my car starts up and hardly gets 1/4 of the guage. Also, the fans kick on wayyy earlier now. Shelby, thanks for the extra input. i might try that anyway because i have a voltage problem to the dash. Battery charges at 14.6 but volt meter says 10 on a good day. But thats another problem.

Thanks for the help guys.

hey just a heads up, letting your car guage get all the way to the H is really bad because if i'm not mistaken that is 250+ degrees F and if it continuously does overheat, you will get some serious head warpage. so in the future, i dont reccomend even driving it if it goes abov half the guage. Edited by DSMvirus1