So I found out the issue with my rear end... WTB parts!

speedyquest

So before i had left to head back home from the last time i was down working on my car (its currently stored at a buddies house about 1 hour away) i had become aware of an issue where the car couldnt move under its own power for whatever reason. After jacking the back of the car up off the ground so that both tires were not touching i gave it some gas and only the rear passenger tire moved. At that point i had to head back home.

Fast forward to tonight and im back down and having some time to look at the car, so using some info that a few friendly people in chat suggested i take a look and find this.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/mangledbmx/IMG_20110814_225957.jpg

Ok so that explains why the drivers side tire wont go anywhere... lets pull that bad boy out and see if there is any damage.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/mangledbmx/IMG_20110814_231557.jpg

After looking at the service manual and confirming my fears that infact im missing part of the end of that axle i look up in the diff and see this little gem...

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/mangledbmx/IMG_20110814_232828.jpg

So here is my dilemma, do i get the diff fixed and gone over? or do i get a good used one from a member here? Im open to suggestions, comments, anything really lol.

Sell me your extra diff and axles lol

Edited by speedyquest

get a screw that fits that hole in the broken piece of the axle and screw it in. Then get something to attach to the screw and that won't slip off and pull it out. It will come right out. Done this before lol. Your rear end will be fine, just get a used axle off someone on here and your done.. If you ever did suspension work on the rear and pushed down on the a arm to get the strut loose thats probably when it happened.

Thanks for the info guys, one question though, the flatty and widebody axles are different correct? yes my car is a flatty but it has a 5 lug and lsd conversion on it. Otherwise ill definitely try your guys suggestions for getting that piece out of there. Ill update you guys as i figure it out.

You can push the stub out fron the other side to with a rod or 3/8 extension. That is about all that will fit through the hole in the spider. I have 4 bolt flatty alxes, if the yard does not have them. The fatty axles are different on the hub end, though many have reamed the holes.. The fatty axles are shorter and thicker as well. Edited by StarquestRescue

So its quite apparent to me that is exactly what happened ( lower control arms dropping ). Basically a dumb mistake on my part but I guess its a learning experience too. I just got back from going up to meet D_Venable and he was gracious enough to give me a set of half shafts so I should be all set. To get the broken section out of the diff I plan on using something to pull on the back of the piece due to that hole you see in the pictures going all the way thru. I'll be doing that very soon and will give you guys an update.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions guys. I appreciate it.

Allen

Edited by speedyquest