No Ignition Signal

Not yet. Apparently the tach adapter works as a pullup resistor which one has already been installed to "help" the signal to a point where the MS ECU can read it.

I only had enough time to attempt installation, not troubleshoot...I'll be diving back into it on Friday.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not yet. Apparently the tach adapter works as a pullup resistor which one has already been installed to "help" the signal to a point where the MS ECU can read it.

Mine too, but i still ended up needing the tach adapter LOL - try it and let us know. The tach adapter can be purchased at just bout any local oreilly's or autozone i believe. If it doesnt work, take it back :)

Just trying to help you get it on the road again

Not a problem. At this point I've exhausted all my funds available for the project besides that for paint and I would rather not tap into that as I'm afraid if I don't treat that money like it doesn't exist I'll never end up finishing the paint on it.

I'll try a couple other things and if it doesn't work I'll move on to the tach adapter. Scott told me exactly how to troubleshoot the entire ignition system so I'm gonna try that first since it's free, lol.

At least I'm not the only one who has had these issues.

Not a problem. At this point I've exhausted all my funds available for the project besides that for paint and I would rather not tap into that as I'm afraid if I don't treat that money like it doesn't exist I'll never end up finishing the paint on it.

I'll try a couple other things and if it doesn't work I'll move on to the tach adapter. Scott told me exactly how to troubleshoot the entire ignition system so I'm gonna try that first since it's free, lol.

At least I'm not the only one who has had these issues.

Done testing and being stumped? Here you go; http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MSD-tach-adapter-8910-/260835895249?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cbb07e7d1

35.00 and you get to fire up your mpi for the fist time... worth every penny IMO :)

Yeah I'm just trying a few more things before I do that. I'm going through the engine grounds and whatnot in the car to make sure they are all in working order and doing a couple more things. All of the tests I performed per Scott's guidance show that the signal should be getting from one point to another and there's no good reason why not. Worst case scenario I spend a little more time working on tying up some loose ends and eventually try the tach adapter out...Either way my electrical system will be in better shape anyway.

lol. One of the tests I did was looking for the signal, it's supposed to be 0-5 or 0-12v and I did have 3.xx volts there...It just wasn't oscillating. I need to make sure it's grounded and stuff properly before I do that, otherwise I'm just throwing money at it that I don't have. Give me til the end of the week. :P

lol. One of the tests I did was looking for the signal, it's supposed to be 0-5 or 0-12v and I did have 3.xx volts there...It just wasn't oscillating. I need to make sure it's grounded and stuff properly before I do that, otherwise I'm just throwing money at it that I don't have. Give me til the end of the week. :P

hmm, does sound strange. is the red light on the ms controller come on at all while cranking?

Edited by NotStock88

All 3 of them flash once dimly when the key is first clicked into the "on" position. Nothing after that.

All 3 of them flash once dimly when the key is first clicked into the "on" position. Nothing after that.

3 ? My controller only has 1 light. I will have to check but i believe the light is supposed to come on that 1 time to show its got power. The light should be blinking while cranking if it has signal. I am 99% sure you just need the tach adapter and you will be all set.

While that's a strong possibility, the tach adapter just intensifies the signal to a 12v one IIRC--I'd like to see if I can "find" the signal first and see if that's the root problem or just a band-aid.

Originally mine wouldnt read either. I tried EVERYTHING and the ms controller would just not find signal to spark. As I said before, I was stumped for quite awhile trying to "find" the signal. I even hooked my signal wire from the engine side to a 12v pos and then measured the v at the controller side- it was showing 12v so i kept looking and looking. Finally Phinko said "mine doesnt work without the tach adapter" so i added it in, tried it... an PRESTO - magically the signal is there.

If you said you were getting readings from the controller side of "something" chances are its just not seeing "enough" of the signal without the tach adapter. I could be wrong in all this but its just strange to hear you are having the SAME issue as I had(and PDodson had same issue too, he was building at the same time I was).

<subscribed>

You can rub it in my face and call me stupid if that's the reason--I just want to check around a bit more before continuing to spend if I don't need to.

I have had a MS2 fail once on the tach input pin. I bought a used MS2 and after getting everything setup and hooked to a stimulator, I found I had no RPM signal. After doing some testing and eventually probing the pin coming into the ECU with an oscilloscope, I found that once a jumper was connected that connected the MS2 pin to the circuit inside the ECU, the tach voltage would pull down. Now with a normal ignition setup, you wouldn't see the voltage pull down as there is too much current available. However, if something like a 10 KOhm resistor was wired in temporarily, that would likely clamp current enough to see if something is up.

I was also tipped off by the fact that the main chip on my MS2 daughter board was hot to the touch. After banging my head for a while, I bought another MS2 and it was fixed right away. No idea why the original one failed as I didn't have to change anything in my ECU.

My issue is that on the stim it did produce an rpm signal and when it was hooked up to another car it produced a signal as well. The only thing I can think of as an issue is with the wiring harness installed in the car it may be causing more electrical interference and that's why it won't work when its installed on my car?

Either way I'm giving the tach adapter a try to see if that'll work and another thing to try is the caravan ignitor, just trying to get a part number on that.

• 5 weeks later...
Lol yeah just got back today. Gonna spend some time on the car tomorrow trying to get it to test-fire and do the final install at some point in the coming week. I'm limited to 32 hours at work this upcoming week and am fully ready to install this badboy.

Nope. He said it worked just as well as when it left him--that being said we believe it's due to something in my factory harness. Either way that won't be an issue anymore as the whole system is completely stand-alone now and the entire engine harness can come out.

Got the wiring diagram all drawn up, just gotta bring everything to work and get stuff crimped/soldered together for the final install. Doing it right the first time, this time (lol). With any luck, the last time.

Yeah, I know, sorry lol. Another boring update--I took an hour off work today and got all of the stuff crimped together and soldered. Fuel pump V+ line complete with fuse is taken care of as well. I would have put it all on but ran out of daylight when I got home...Gonna try to get at least some of it done tomorrow.