tranny won't shift dow after 60+ mph

Cole

Ok, i'm not to worried about the tranny for just daily driving for now but at the same time is really bugs me. The car will shift fine getting up to speed but once i have gotte past 60 and i hit it on the gas, it won't shift down. If i slow down to about 45 it will finally shift down but that's what it does.

A little bit of info is my car has a newly rebuilt engine that is still in the process of being broke in (almost half way done) and the tranny was supposedly rebuilt some 3000 mi ago and is leaking a little bit from the bell housing. I've been told that the CV joints r about to go out and my diff leaks very slowly.

downshifting due to hitting the gas is usually called "kick down". On these cars there is no mechanical kick down linkage, it mostly works using a vac/boost feed line.

Perhaps the vac/boost feed was not reconnected when the new motor was put in? Even it was, I'd still do a "suck test" on it to make sure it holds and isn't blown.

The feed itself starts at the intake manifold, on top of the #3/#4 runner there is a nipple. A short rubber line connects that nipple to a hardline that runs to the trans on the bottom middle drivers side.

mm

there is a switch on the gas pedal that needs to be cleaned.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/the_rabbit1/IMG_20110413_172009.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/the_rabbit1/IMG_20110413_172032.jpg

• 5 months later...
Thanks for the help, I'll clean those parts and check them tomorrow but there is one other thing that really bugs me, since the engine has been broke in, I noticed that my car has a really good acceleration until it's about to shift into second and then it seems kinda of slurred and the acceleration is kinda gone but i'm still moving forward. Part of that issue I believe to be is that the tranny decides to shift about 4300 rpm and it won't ever redline unless I physically drop the tranny to first. Any ideas on what the cause could be? I really don't feel like changing a tranny, but I would like to eventually switch to a supra tt tranny sometime in the future.

Alright so I looked at the switch at the gas petal and the switch almost looked new, so I didn't test the vacuum on the tranny but I went for a test drive and when I adjusted the switch to be closer to the gas pedal and I got my engine up to 5k this time before it early shifted, but I left the switch where it is now because the engine is vibrating and the oil needs to be changed before I try the test again. Do you think this was the cause of the short shifting? the tranny still goes in OD even with the OD off around 43 mph. But it does shift down when I mash the petal to the ground. eventually.

Alright so I looked at the switch at the gas petal and the switch almost looked new, so I didn't test the vacuum on the tranny but I went for a test drive and when I adjusted the switch to be closer to the gas pedal and I got my engine up to 5k this time before it early shifted, but I left the switch where it is now because the engine is vibrating and the oil needs to be changed before I try the test again. Do you think this was the cause of the short shifting? the tranny still goes in OD even with the OD off around 43 mph. But it does shift down when I mash the petal to the ground. eventually.

Sounds exactly the same as my starion if you figure anything out please let me know!!!

For sure I will Spooled, I'm just waiting for the experts to give me some feedback on my progress on here. I'll spend some time when I get home from work to take a look at the starquest faqs and starquestagarage.com for more technical information and assistance. Edited by Cole

So I was checking starquestgarage just now and it says that there is a kickdown solenoid that needs to function properly, but it requires to change the tranny oil. So I plan on doing that tomorrow and will test the solonoid along with the relay switch and sensor for the OD. The link for the kickdown solenoid is here:

http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/service/conquest/1988/88_conquest_service_manual_-_group_21_-_transmission_manual_automatic.pdf on page 70.