My Q89 Quest on Craiglslist

mistaVR4

Hello, all

I have to sell my 89 Quest, I'm asking $2000 because for some reason it stopped running but I just went over with a couple interested parties to look at it. When it died on me it essentially felt like the fuel pump may have gone out and it just started slowing down and then stopped? Absolutely no mechanical noise whatsoever, it just acted like it ran out of gas, when it stopped on me I was afraid to try jumping it because if there was major damage I didn't want to make it worse. However, when we went over to look at the car I did bring jumper cables and it turned over just fine and almost started, There was no noise of any kind which was a big relief.

What I'm hoping is if some of you experienced folks can tell me if you think the price is fair?

Please, any insight would be great as they are about to make a decision this evening and I just want to know if my asking price seems right?

Thanks in advance!

-Steve

Here is the link to my add:

my quest add

Edited by mistaVR4

I am sure you could get that.It wouldnt take much to put in a inline fuel pressure gauge to see if the pump

went out .

could be clogged fuel filter......that's a $20 fix....you could spray a small amount of starting fluid in the ovcp pipe and see if it runs for a second...

Also put the key on position then go to where your muffler ist to hear if the pump is going. I would check the fusible links by the battery and make sure they have good contact..

Thanks a lot for the advice on checking the problem! I really appreciate it:)

But if anyone has anymore input on the price that would be great!

Thanks,

-Steve

Thanks a lot for the advice on checking the problem! I really appreciate it:)

But if anyone has anymore input on the price that would be great!

Thanks,

-Steve

2k for a rust free car, clean paint, decent interior is worth it if it runs...If not 1500 to allow them 500 for ant repairs...BTW why are you selling it?

Yes it is for sale. Although, there is a tiny bit of rust on the lower front left fender (small angled part by the door seam) which is very minimal, otherwise the car is rust free...it has always resided in Colorado which helps a lot with rust.

I did update the craigslist add with a few other small details if you want to check it out, I also have a lot more pictures, unfortunately, I don't think I have any of the engine bay (I'm sure I do somehwhere but it might take a while to find them) but it looks just like a stock 89 engine bay would that's pretty clean except for the old ugly battery, I did end up taking out the red top......

Fly out drive home...

It doesn't run :D ;)

It is a nice car though and most definitely should not be parted. To check the fuel pump, you can make an easy jumper by soldering/crimping a male spade on the end of about a 3 foot wire and use it to test the fuel pump. It plugs into the harness near the inner passenger fender right near the aircan and you touch/hold the other end to the positive of the battery. It will run your fuel pump and you will hear fuel flowing if its working. It might also be your primary injector. You can check this by connecting the harness of the injector closest to the driver side to the other injector and see if it starts.

Hows the transmission? Slipping between shifts at all? Any service done to it?

Ive got relative int he Springs but unfortunately I don't have the room here. That interior would probably convince me to buy a red car ;)

Good luck with your sale.

Edited by 89PalermoSHP

You tried jumping it, so you are considering spark as a problem? A good test Phinko taught me was to unplug the wire between the ignitor and the distributor (on the distributor end), and then lay the unplugged end of the wire against the frame of the car (probably with the hood open where you can peer through under the hood from the driver's seat and see it laying against the frame. Then attempt to start the car. If you see a bright blue/white spark jumping from the end of the wire to the frame of the car then you know you at least have spark all of the way to the dristributor (ruling out ecu, knock box, ignitor, and various cables connecting them).

Air, Fuel, Spark = what's needed to combust the engine. I know sometimes I have thought an issue was in one of these areas and it turned out to really be in another.

Right on fellas! Thanks a lot for the input! I'm going to try everything!

I'm going to try for the $2000 weather I can get it started or not?

Thanks!

-Steve

Thats exactly what I think as well! I'm going over today to tinker with it using all of you guy's advice.

Thanks a lot. I'm really gonna miss this place and that car. Who knows maybe in the near future I'll find another one? Ya never know..

Peace fellas!

-Steve

with it not runing you'd be realy hard press'd to get $1000 for the car,, buyer has to be alert to the fact the car may have major problems and procede on that asumption

your lack of intrest in finding the real problem just reinforces that asumption

with it not runing you'd be realy hard press'd to get $1000 for the car,, buyer has to be alert to the fact the car may have major problems and procede on that asumption

your lack of intrest in finding the real problem just reinforces that asumption

This I understand, and I would never sell the car to someone without them knowing the possibility that at the worst it may need a new long block. But when you say I have lack of interested in finding the real problem my guess is you didn't read any of the above posts? I'm going to do everything in my power to find the real problem. Plus being on disability and barley being able to move make it a little more difficult for me to work on the car. I do agree that $1000-$1500 would be fair (IMHO) The car is in really nice shape cosmetically and they are getting harder to find.

But as far as lack of interest, your way off...just sayin....