'89 Starion

helrazr70

Not for sale yet. Just getting a feeler for interest and a decent price to ask.

For those new to the community or who never really cared, there were only 159 Starions imported in 1989. This is a TRUE '89 Starion as reflected by the June '88 build date, '89 title, and '89 Starion owners manual.

Of those 159 I am not sure how many had cloth interior, but I am willing to bet there weren't nearly as many cloth interiors as there were leather. That makes this car a little more rare. Also consider how many of the '89s were wrecked, parted out, or crushed. Who knows how many of those 159 are left today?

This car is R04 red with black/checkerboard cloth interior. It has 103k miles on it and is a 5spd.

Pretty soon I will begin swapping all the mods from the '89 Starion over to my '88 Starion--returning the '89 to stock condition all around again.

It has a litle rust on the bottom of the right front fender and right rear 1/4 behind the wheel. I will repair that with OEM sheetmetal patches before I sell it. The red paint it really pretty and shiny and the interior is in excellent condition as most cloth interiors are!

Here is what she looks like now and in ths pic you can see the rust:

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss56/helrazr70/IMG00005-20100719-17401.jpg

Any interest in one of the rarest StarQuests available? I will even sell it as a roller with or without the rust repair if you have your own drivetrain or want to fix it yourself. What do you think it would be worth in stock condition? (no mods and running/driving well)

Why am I selling it? It's rare and it's special, but I am not a fan of red StarQuests and I don't want to chance wrecking/ruining a rare car because I can be hard on a StarQuest! It's best that this rare car go to a collector/someone who appreciates it's rarity.

Not for sale yet. Just getting a feeler for interest and a decent price to ask.

For those new to the community or who never really cared, there were only 159 Starions imported in 1989. This is a TRUE '89 Starion as reflected by the June '88 build date, '89 title, and '89 Starion owners manual.

Of those 159 I am not sure how many had cloth interior, but I am willing to bet there weren't nearly as many cloth interiors as there were leather. That makes this car a little more rare. Also consider how many of the '89s were wrecked, parted out, or crushed. Who knows how many of those 159 are left today?

This car is R04 red with black/checkerboard cloth interior. It has 103k miles on it and is a 5spd.

Pretty soon I will begin swapping all the mods from the '89 Starion over to my '88 Starion--returning the '89 to stock condition all around again.

It has a litle rust on the bottom of the right front fender and right rear 1/4 behind the wheel. I will repair that with OEM sheetmetal patches before I sell it. The red paint it really pretty and shiny and the interior is in excellent condition as most cloth interiors are!

Here is what she looks like now and in ths pic you can see the rust:

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss56/helrazr70/IMG00005-20100719-17401.jpg

Any interest in one of the rarest StarQuests available? I will even sell it as a roller with or without the rust repair if you have your own drivetrain or want to fix it yourself. What do you think it would be worth in stock condition? (no mods and running/driving well)

Why am I selling it? It's rare and it's special, but I am not a fan of red StarQuests and I don't want to chance wrecking/ruining a rare car because I can be hard on a StarQuest! It's best that this rare car go to a collector/someone who appreciates it's rarity.

WHY IN THE WORLD would you sell that one!?

Why would I sell it?

Because while it is very rare, that fact really has no effect on me and I would rather it go to someone who WILL appreciate what it is.

Also, as with any rare car--excessive modification will kill it's value rather than increase it when you look at it's value from a rarity standpoint.

I will post more details when I get back to my hotel in NY.

SRT6: Newb sarcasm... it never gets old. Actually there are probasbly more '90 Starions in the world than there are '89 Starions in the US. Nobody here has any proof that Mitsu ever imported any '90s into the US. We DO have published #s of the '89 Starions imported into the US and that # is 159. If there are any '90 models here they were most likely imported by an individual and RHD. They do not count in the rarity equation of the US '89 Starions here by Mitsu's hand.

ekstatixx: I know your car has been a tough sale and it is worth every penny. Had you reposted your for sale thread sooner, I probably would have bought yours instead. I saw the age of your original thread and assumed it was either sold or no longer for sale. I think yours will sell soon. The price drop definitely will draw more interest.

PDodson: I see you deleted your post but I will respond anyway: Look ^^^^^^ :D

I think mine will be an easy sale. I will post 2 prices for the car. One price will be as a roller with complete interior and the other as a running sotck condition car. Both prices will be acceptable by most budgets.

smallblock12: This thread was to gauge interest in a '89 Starion and to determine if it's worth the effort to return it to stock or just sell it as a roller. I think the prices will be as follows:

$750 as a roller with factory cloth interior intact and a flat hood.

$1200 as a roller with the factory cloth interior intact and the '83 hood still on it.

$500 as a roller without the cloth interior and a stock flat hood.

~$2000obo as a running driving car with a stock flat hood.

It will be at least a month before I can start swapping the mods over to my silver car because I am in NYC for the next week and I am in the process of buying a house.

If anyone is interested, just drop me a PM and we will see what we can work out.

SRT6: Newb sarcasm... it never gets old. Actually there are probasbly more '90 Starions in the world than there are '89 Starions in the US. Nobody here has any proof that Mitsu ever imported any '90s into the US. We DO have published #s of the '89 Starions imported into the US and that # is 159. If there are any '90 models here they were most likely imported by an individual and RHD. They do not count in the rarity equation of the US '89 Starions here by Mitsu's hand.

ekstatixx: I know your car has been a tough sale and it is worth every penny. Had you reposted your for sale thread sooner, I probably would have bought yours instead. I saw the age of your original thread and assumed it was either sold or no longer for sale. I think yours will sell soon. The price drop definitely will draw more interest.

PDodson: I see you deleted your post but I will respond anyway: Look ^^^^^^ :D

I think mine will be an easy sale. I will post 2 prices for the car. One price will be as a roller with complete interior and the other as a running sotck condition car. Both prices will be acceptable by most budgets.

smallblock12: This thread was to gauge interest in a '89 Starion and to determine if it's worth the effort to return it to stock or just sell it as a roller. I think the prices will be as follows:

$750 as a roller with factory cloth interior intact and a flat hood.

$1200 as a roller with the factory cloth interior intact and the '83 hood still on it.

$500 as a roller without the cloth interior and a stock flat hood.

~$2000obo as a running driving car with a stock flat hood.

It will be at least a month before I can start swapping the mods over to my silver car because I am in NYC for the next week and I am in the process of buying a house.

If anyone is interested, just drop me a PM and we will see what we can work out.

FYI... I am not as new as you think. Except for the last 5 years I've owned a starquest since 1987 - bought with 7K on the dial. I was around when Jason Kolda had the Ultimate Conquest and Starion page, And i was formerly on this site back when Rydler originally put it up online and just never rejoined when this new site went up. Now... as far as '89 Starions go - none were brought into Ca. since the Eclipse Turbo made its debut in '89 and Ca. got the first of them. As far as 1990 Conquests go - I don't know the exact number but THEY DO exist, they are ALL Red and All 5-speeds. I worked in sales for a Mitsubishi dealership back in 1988-1990 so had my info. straight from Mitsubishi Corp. located in Cypress, Ca.

And... i meant no sarcasm, was just drawing attention to the rarity of both 89 Starions & 1990 conquests (there are no 1990 starions) for those that might not know.

Thanks for the NEWb comment... Remember, when ever you point a finger at someone there are always three pointing back at you :D

Scotty:

This is Jose Tobias' old car. (Jozel) After watching him build his car on here since 2002 I wondered what happened to this car. It turned up on CL. Jozel sold it to a younger guy who kept it about 9 months and then sold it to me.

SRT6:

There definitely are 1990 Starions. They just weren't shipped here for retail sale. As far as 1990 Conquests go, I would be curious to see proof of those. As far as I know and have heard only Starions were built after 1989 because the Conquests were mainly (possibly only) shipped tgo the US for Chrysler. I went to te dealrship in 1990 looking to trade my '89 Mustang LX 5.0 in on a new Conquest and was told that they weren't making them in '90 and they had already sold the one and only '89 they had ever had. They told me they couldn't order me a new one but they could find me an '89 that was left on the lot somewhere else and have it shipped in.

All we have are internet fodder links like these that show the end of production to be 1989:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5019411_history-chrysler-conquest-tsi.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_(division)

Go to the BS section and search back a few pages to a thread titled "1990 Starion". It has a link to a UK ebay auction for a SILVER 1990 Starion EX.

When you have only 15 posts on a site... you are usually considered a newbie to that site. ;) Your resume isn't visible but your post count is--therefore you appear to be a newb. I apologize for hurting your feelings.

I would be real intrested in it being stock and hows the stock rims and hood look like? Plus does it still have the stock radio and does it work cass and all? Would love to see some pics of the interior.You are somewhat close to me also and the timing would work out great too.

Scotty:

This is Jose Tobias' old car. (Jozel) After watching him build his car on here since 2002 I wondered what happened to this car. It turned up on CL. Jozel sold it to a younger guy who kept it about 9 months and then sold it to me.

SRT6:

There definitely are 1990 Starions. They just weren't shipped here for retail sale. As far as 1990 Conquests go, I would be curious to see proof of those. As far as I know and have heard only Starions were built after 1989 because the Conquests were mainly (possibly only) shipped tgo the US for Chrysler. I went to te dealrship in 1990 looking to trade my '89 Mustang LX 5.0 in on a new Conquest and was told that they weren't making them in '90 and they had already sold the one and only '89 they had ever had. They told me they couldn't order me a new one but they could find me an '89 that was left on the lot somewhere else and have it shipped in.

All we have are internet fodder links like these that show the end of production to be 1989:

http://www.ehow.com/...nquest-tsi.html

http://en.wikipedia....sler_(division)

Go to the BS section and search back a few pages to a thread titled "1990 Starion". It has a link to a UK ebay auction for a SILVER 1990 Starion EX.

When you have only 15 posts on a site... you are usually considered a newbie to that site. ;) Your resume isn't visible but your post count is--therefore you appear to be a newb. I apologize for hurting your feelings.

I was just about to ask if this was Jozel's car, then I read it was. This car has been around the forums for a very long time. Surprised he sold it.

Would you sell with stock motor, 83 hood and the aftermarket wheels?

Possibly... For a stock engine I have to buy a parts car to get the engine/etc which is why the price goes up. The original engine was replaced long ago with the monster that is in there now.

I had considered selling the wheels to buy a set I like better anyway and I was planning to sell the hood anyway. I was going to ask $800 for the wheels/tires and $500 for the hood.

kev: Yes, it did have that dorky shoppingcart/parkbench spoiler on it at one time. Jozel removed that long ago and replaced the factory rear spoiler because of the holes. I have pics of the car with and without it that came with the car.

• 2 weeks later...