Holset HX35

Greeny

So I've been reading through the archives on different turbo set ups, from GT35r to 16g. Ive recently Found a Holset hx35 through a friend. The HX35 has a mitsubishi Hot side. Not sure which one but should find out today, The guy had intentions of running it on a SVO. I've read places that this HX35 will flow like 60-61lbs per min, and is capable of over 30psi. Now i will probably not be pushing any more than 18psi. does that sound right. I'm trying to figure out which turbo will give me the most bang for my buck. I can get this hx35 with receipt from fresh rebuild it was never even installed (his build stalled as most do) for 150. the darn rebuild reciept says 375 alone. I've seen a few write ups on the hx35 from a LONG time ago but no real #'s on the outcome, does anyone have idea of the capabalities (hp/ 1/4mile times)? My setup is TBI for now, but has the fuelsystem set up to handle it as well as the intercooler piping and Maf Translator, so don't worry about the car not being set up for it, I'm more intrested is it worth it compared to say a GT35R or GT40.

Also if I posted this in the wrong section i apoligize early but it wasnt a real advanced mechanic question seemed like more of a BSing throwing around ideas

Thanks

Johnny

For $150 you'd be a fool not to jump on it! I paid more than that just for the BEP hotside on my HX35.

FYI if you plan to run that on a stock exhaust manifold you will need a spacer of roughly 1.5" because the large compressor will not clear the manifold.

itll grant you easy access to mid 400whp realm. 18psi with proper supporting will net mid 300's. Be sure of which HX35 it is, there are many different variations of compressor blade setups/sizes. the 7blade late 90's cummins HX35 measure in a little smaller than a GT35 but that doesnt mean much. supposed to be good for 500ish. Edited by phinko

I love the holset turbo's. If you do a search on www.dsmtuners.com, there is a BIG BIG write up on them.

Believe it or not, these big turbo's spool almost as fast as a big 16g turbo. I helped install one on my friends 93 Talon, and it reaches 25lbs by 3900 rpm's, and doesnt stop pulling!

For $150, I'd jump all over that. If you dont wanna use it, I'll buy it off of you for more than that!

• 2 months later...

I have to chime in on this one....I have been out of the Starquest scene for a few years. Back in 2004 or 2005, I did a lot of research. I settled on a HY-35 due to the smaller hotside. I built a header and ran it for a bit on the TBI setup. I was really impressed how it spooled. If I remember correctly I was hitting 14psi around 2700-2800. It came on hard and strong. I then changed to MPI with stock ignition recurved and then later stand alone ignition. When I parked the car 3 years ago I was running 20 psi with out a problem. I was at full boost around 3000. I would like to stripp off my 2.5" exhaust and run a full 3" with a Hx-35. Bang for the buck you can't go wrong. They are easy to come by, cheap and take a beating. I was setup to launch with a 2 step, which I was anti-lagging to build boost off the line and the turbo took the abuse. All and all I was super happy, jump on it if you can!

Shawn

My ride sports a 7blade and I'm still tuning it but when it blew the intercooler pipe off at 16-17psi @ 4k in 3rd my log was showing 36lb/min airflow. I think with more rpm and boost 60lb/min should be possible. But I'm running the stock 12cm housing I modded.