Apexi unit on my conquest?

I have an apexi safc2. And i have my conquest with 750cc injectors,fuel pump, the goods.

Its got a maft but thats it, 13psi untuned.

is there a way to wire up my apexi unit and tune the car using a wideband? Ive never seen it done but im sure it can be.

We have one yes it works but you have to allow for idle and starting if you change primary injector size and fuel pressure. As in the NEO? If it is and its the early one it will not work for our cars if its not been reflashed. Early ones didn't have correct software for Karman Vortex MAF sensors and give false readings and will not work an they don't read the same twice so you'll never get it to work. Look on the back and see if its serial # is less than 13800 or if you aren't sure call them. Its free to fix you just mail it to them and they send you back some surprises for your trouble, takes about a week. Call Apexi and they will send you an email with a PDF form to print out and mail in with the NEO.

The apexi safc2 did not have the problems the early Neo's did and has nearly the same capabilities of the Neo. To get the rpm input to work you may need a potentiometer to reduce the voltage range in the rpm signal to your afc.

http://www.radioshac...oductId=2062354

Try radio shack. Run the rpm signal to one outside post. Ground the other outside post. Connect the neo rpm wire to the center post. Turn the knob till the rpm reads right, and than a little more.

Look for one that is a low wattage. .5 or less should be good

You can use the safc 2 in conjunction with your maft. Connect to the air flow signal wire after the maft.

ECU pin info. http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/service/conquest/1988/88_conquest_service_manual_-_group_14_-_fuel_system.pdf

For the 87-89 stock oem injectors are about 580 for the primary and 1000 for the secondary. So the secondary is about 73% bigger than the primary. If you up size the injectors you should stay close to this size ratio between the two. Two same size injector on a 87-89 will never run right in the transition area where the ecu switches back and fourth between one or both injectors.

I have an apexi safc1 in my car with delphi 650/950 injectors, wiring was kind of a pain, but it was worth the effort. zero out all the maft settings and use the safc to tune. works nicely for me. Cheers,

BC_99

ps, this helped me alot.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41496

Edited by BC_99

I dont think the 750s will work right for you. I dont think you could tune it well enough with just the apexi. It would be pig rich in low rpm and would probably fall flat under boost, just my guess though. I think you'd need at least a larger secondary injector. Brianpaul98 sells delphis or theinjectorconnection.com i think is where i got mine. I would get in touch with brian as he is the guy who helped me through alot of that stuff. He is a great guy and lives over in Wilmington, NC so shipping them to you wouldnt take long. I ordered a st from him last year for a local friend and they were in my mailbox within 36 hours. so a couple days to you at most. The link I posted above has all the info you will need for the ecu pinout. It is just kinda nerve wracking for me cutting into the main ecu harness (I suck with electrical stuff) but its a pretty simple straightforward procedure. About 8-10 connections to make. Just do yourself a favor and cut, strip, solder, and insulate the connections. Dont waste your time with those silly wire clamp connectors, the wires are pretty small in the harness and will just keep coming loose and leaving you stranded. Good luck with it.

BC_99

On the 87-89 cars when the primary reaches about 45% duty cycle under light load, the secondary kicks in and both injectors fire at about 17% duty cycle.

Stock injector size is about 580/1000

580cc at 45% = about 261cc of fuel.

580cc at 17% = 98cc + 1000 at 17% = 170 cc = 268 of fuel. The result is a seamless transition from one to both injectors.

Now lets do the same math with same size injectors.

1000 at 45% = 450 cc

1000 at 17% = 170 = 1000 at 17% = 170 =340 cc of fuel.

450cc - 24% = 340cc. Your motor just went 24% leaner on both injectors than is was on just the primary. :( That's almost a 2 point afr change.

Dont hate, if you really have two 750's the fix is stock injectors or at least the 650/950 Delphi combo that works well with the maft. Either can support about 240 hp.

Edited by StarquestRescue

• 2 weeks later...
I just went through this project over the weekend. Installed 1g Maf, and then the SAFC 2. I am running stock injector's and stock Tb. The controller seems to work very well on my system, but I dont know how it would perform on large injectors.

• 4 weeks later...

The neo can add or subtract 50% fuel at 16 rpm points. The rpm points can be set in 50 rpm steps. It also has a low and a high throttle points. (tps setting) Different correction can be set at the low and high throttle points.

http://www.apexi-usa.com/info/download.asp?id=6107