Many of you overlook one of the most important parts...

Coke

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this idea/thread. I didn't really think about this while making sure my DD stays in good health, so next weekend when I change my exhaust manifold and some other stuff I'm going to regrease/clean my dist. Called the dealer and ordered a new pick-up coil to replace mine with. Pretty sure mine's ok but without testing it, and it only costing like 15 bucks, I figured I'd go ahead and change it with the cap seal. Guess I need to do pretty much everything in the I-X site. Oh well, gotta love em :wub:

I was gunna b*tch out and just buy another one but now that I get a "how to" guide I think I'll just do it myself. Things with little parts scare me when I start tearing them apart. I've been told I have sausage fingers lol. :huh: Edited by TexasTieaga

Don't forget to check your boost retards!!

-Robert

One comma away from being offensive, lol...Funny how punctuation changes things.

Good call, I should probably put my rebuilt distributor in there in the spring when I pull the cam.

well i started taking mine apart last night, and i noticed that one of my springs for the fly weights is loos, as in it slides forward and backward without the spring compressing, like it's stretched...is that how it's supposed to be? i can't imagine so. If that is bad, where would I get a new one?

for the lubricant, could i possibly use white lithium grease or just bearing packing grease? we have this grease at work called Super Lube aswell, i think it's just silicone grease. would that work?

Paul, if you like you can send me your distributor and I will rebuild it for you. I am about halfway complete with the how-to write up on how to do it yourself but if any of you are uncomfortable doing so, i'd be more than glad to do it for you. I think white lithium grease should be more than sufficient. I personally use black chassis grease, the stuff you pack into balljoints and tie rod ends. It's thin enough to where it will not be too gummy for the small parts to function.

sounds like a plan=) i read through the How To and know exactly what to do. It doesn't seem very hard at all. You just have to be careful of small parts, like the e-clips and that washer. Now if the main seal for the shaft is bad, could i get it at an auto store, or would i have to order from mitsubishi? and could the bearing for my shaft possibly be shot? just thinking ahead=D

i would still replace the seal. Its more than 20 years old. It is only a matter of time before it wll give up the fight. Why not replace it ow while you've got it apart? I have seals incase Mitsubishi cannot get one. The bearing, while it is possible for failure, as would be the case for any bearing, but I've never seen one fail.

I ran into a problem. i go to check my mechanical advance by turning my rotor clockwise, and i can keep going and going and going, no stop or anything.It's supposed to stop and then snap back correct.....what am I supposed to do? Mine is off an 86 if that says anything, darn oddball=P

lol well I've never done a distributor before or know where the mechanical advance is or what it looks like=P by looking at the how to, would it be possible that the teeth are eaten off?

I ran into a problem. i go to check my mechanical advance by turning my rotor clockwise, and i can keep going and going and going, no stop or anything.It's supposed to stop and then snap back correct.....what am I supposed to do? Mine is off an 86 if that says anything, darn oddball=P

Mechanical advance is the whole top piece under the rotor.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/DzG54BNutz/RMSQ/Dizzy%20Rebuild/3.jpg

with the springs and weights...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/DzG54BNutz/RMSQ/Dizzy%20Rebuild/5.jpg

When checking be sure to hold the heli gear on the bottom from turning.

This pin in this slot should keep it from rotating too far

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/DzG54BNutz/RMSQ/Dizzy%20Rebuild/9.jpg

Edited by DzNutz