Flatty Brake questions

Robert_n_family

OK it's time for me to redo my brakes. I want to do a complete replacement of rotors/pads on all 4 corners. I have yet to tear into it to see what else may be needed. I see that I will need the tool to turn in the rear calipers, no worries. I had that since I had my '01 Mustang. Now, when I look for rotors, I get wayyyyyy too many examples. My car is an 87 technica, 4 bolt lug pattern. Some sites like RockAuto specify. Others dont and only specify 83-86 and 87-89. Now I know that an 88-89's and my 87's are NOT the same. Sooo...dont get from them I guess. Who is the best supplier of rotors/pads for a DD? What are the best pads that people have used for DD's (minimal dust, quiet, not $100 a set)? Also, on my Mustang I replaced my rubber brake hose with a steel braided line and felt an instant improvement in pedal feel. Does anyone make one like this for our cars? (LSP?)

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.

Robert

Its best to order your flatty parts as a 84 4 lug rotor car which is what i did when ordering for my 87 Technica flatty (FLATTY LOVE :wub: ) , this will save you much hassle as vendors get very confused over this issue ,So far ive found Rockauto to have been very much "on the ball" when it comes to stopping my 4 lug flattys. :)

Jolyrgr on here and Brain at lowershores performance both have the SS braided lines and will fab custom sets for you if need be. As for pads I ran whatever they gave me at Advance for a few years of hard driving with no complaints.

Are the flatty brake lines different than a widebody?

Thanks Scotty. I was looking at their Quiet shimmed pads, around $25 for the set. Have you used these? Not looking to stop on a dime, I don't drive like that. Just wanting to make sure when I press on the pedal she slows down and doesn't make that horrible brake sqeal.

Jolyrgr on here and Brain at lowershores performance both have the SS braided lines and will fab custom sets for you if need be. As for pads I ran whatever they gave me at Advance for a few years of hard driving with no complaints.

Are the flatty brake lines different than a widebody?

No idea about the lines, I don't have a widebody to compare them to. I don't see why they would be any different though. I was hoping maybe they did a GP or something a while back and maybe a few dozen of you all were running them and were going to swear how great it made the pedal feel. I'll shoot Brian a PM when I get my parts ordered and see what he has to say. Thanks for the tip! I forgot about JolyRgr...haven't seen his name in a little.

dood, the advanced pads will work fine. flatty brakes are different than the flabby's, and unless your rotors are thin you should just get them turned. check ebay for some slotted rotors as sometimes you can find a deal and rock auto ROCKS !!! right now they have a sale on starion stuff , you can get front loaded calipers for $23 bucks :blink: get the SS lines, yours are cracked :huh: Edited by IntercooledFlatty

Flatty rotors are smaller than widebodies, as well as bolting to the hub in the front. The calipers are the same as well as the lines, and the pads are the same as well. You have the option to upgrade to performance pads, I'm using Porterfield R4-S pads, light track duty/autox type, carbon kevlar.

I can't recall for sure if the 83 rotor is smaller than the 84 rotor... but I remember reading the specs 8 years ago, and it showed the 83 was slightly smaller than the 84 rotor. Like Scotty said, stick with the 84 for ordering parts.

-Robert

dood, the advanced pads will work fine. flatty brakes are different than the flabby's, and unless your rotors are thin you should just get them turned. check ebay for some slotted rotors as sometimes you can find a deal and rock auto ROCKS !!! right now they have a sale on starion stuff , you can get front loaded calipers for $23 bucks :blink: get the SS lines, yours are cracked :huh:

:wub: Always coming through with the savings. Thanks Harry! 47 bucks for 2 new calipers, loaded even...um....yea I think I can do that!

Like PSU crash said pads from the likes of Advance get the job done and well at that but with Rockauto rocking that sweet loaded caliper deal you just cant go wrong at the price as for JR / Jolyrdgr he works long and wierd hours like myself , send him a p.m he will get back to you, his lines are well worth the wait, an excellent product. :)

as for JR / Jolyrdgr he works long and wierd hours like myself , send him a p.m he will get back to you, his lines are well worth the wait, an excellent product. :)

I agree 100% having his SS lines throughout stiffened the pedal up nicely

Somewhere I have an extra set of fronts SS lines. But I haven't seen them in years ...

The flatty and wide use the same calipers. The caliper brackets are different as well as the hubs and rotors but the pads/calipers are the same so the lines should be the same.

Rotor on the left is a flatty front. right is a wide front. The wide body rotor mounts between the hub/wheel. Flatty rotor goes on the back side of the hub.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/Starion/4v5side.jpg

I got a custom set of braided lines from a member on here.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/Starion/Brake%20Conversion/brakeline.jpg