Still have rattling towards center of engine now with video

BADBAJA

It had been rubbing on that nub but I did not know you were supposed to grind it all the way off.

I did not do the bse so I was not aware. Does it have to be ground down totally flat?

oh, i presumed when you said you replaced chain and dont have BS i thought you did the BSE, not all the way flat just dround slanted from pics ive seen

My neighbor who likes to tinker with small engines thinks

That if the chain was rubbing that it would be a faster buzzing sound.

He said it seems to be in time with a cylinder firing.

We noticed it does it under harder acceleration and under a load like driving up the road

Retarded the timing and it seems less but still there. Advance the timing and it gets LOUD

:blink: ... ummm ... I hate to say it ... but that doesn't sound like top end noise to me. I have heard collapsed lifters before and they didn't sound like that. And the lifters were constant once they failed.

Grab a piece of hose and hold one end to your ear while moving the other around the engine. You should be able to find a spot where it's loudest. Report back ;)

If you think its lifters all you have to do is take off the valve cover and mash the end of the rocker arm when the cam lobe for that rocker is on its base and the rocker shouldn't mash down.

Sounds like rod knock to me, sound is too low pitch and rod knock happens under load starts out you can hear it at certain rpms then gets worse. Point is, when its at this earlier stage all you do is pull the pan and rod caps and replace all the bearings.

Why did you put on a timing chain? What else did you do? You had the pan off and didn't look at the bearings while it was off? Bearings are cheap.

The cover I did NOT grind the whole nub off just some of it at a angle.

I did not see any fresh rub marks but I imagine a bunch of fine pieces of fine

aluminum dust was in the oil. I have changed the oil 3 times.

It does sound like a rod knock to me as well. I am just hoping for the best and preparing for the worst

Just pull the pan off and change the bearings its not hard. Inspect the mains also.

You can use one of the old inserts to push the upper mains out too:

http://www.b2600turbo.com/changing_rod_bearings.htm

and align the #3 cap too since its your thrust surface:

http://www.b2600turbo.com/thrust_bearings.htm

Well after searching through 8 plus pages of rod knock issues just to educate

Myself some more on this issue. Well I read where you can pull the ug wires to

narrow down the culprit. Sure enough I pull #1 plug wire and no knock under load.

Try #2 (putting plug wire #1 back on) and the knock comes back. I try it again and same

knock. So it would seem the knock is coming from #1. More often than not it's that

connecting rod on the big end.

Now I have NOT gone crazy driving this thing except out the drive way and back down. It only knocks under load. I know a bunch of posts have said to just swap bearings.

Is this a ok method? I am of coarse going to check them over as close as possible to look and feel for out of roundness. Is there and tools while the engine is in the car to

check the roundness? I have calipers but no mic that large.

If it just started you can replace the bearing it will be fine. Stop driving it, do not run it. Don't change just one, do them ALL. The crank is hardened, you aren't going to hurt it from what you did and the rod isn't so soft that it won't still be round. You run it to keep hearing this noise its getting worse and pumping more crap thorugh the oil. You need to remove and dump out the oil cooler too. Hot soapy water will remove the debris from the pan under the baffles, solvents will not. If you find you have a balance shaft chain when you pull the pan off then you need to eliminate those too. The #1 main bearing feeds the #1 rod and the upper balance shaft so when you lose oil pressure it flows down the main galley to #1/2/3/4/5 etc and while 2/4/5 feed a rod bearing too, its only #1 that also feeds the balance shaft so it takes longer to pressurize and this is the problem that causes the shafts rear bearing to fail when it should have got oil from the main galley not where they put it. If you run out of oil breifly its the #1 that it goes to first so its the one that gets the air bubbles while the rest of the oil in the galley and block remain without aerated oil and its common for the #1 rod bearing to knock before the rest and when ignored they all end up knocking then you get to tear the motor all apart and your head gets ruined.

(of course you can change this oiling path if you want to)

Edited by Indiana