Opinions/Experience with 3rd gen Eclipses?

Project83

I've been thinking about getting a new DD for a while now and instead of just giving up and going with a Civic i've been looking at other options and a 3rd gen Eclipse is at the top of the list so far but after trolling around on a few forums for them i haven't been able to come up with much real info about them as far as problems and what not other than the usual junk, so like topic says what do you all know about 'em?

Last thing i need is another turbo, I would just mod it and break it lol, besides i like the looks of the 3rd gens better and there supposed to be more roomy and comfortable.

Not really picky about the V6 or 4 cylinder other than if it was a 4 it would Have to be a manual. Definitely not a Spyder either my main "Plausible" reason for getting a different daily is it be FWD so i would be better in the snow than what i have now.

Edited by Project83

The V6 is a decent motor - there is one guy who put the twin turbos from a 3KGT onto a 3rd Gen V6 with over 300,000 miles and is still running great. Just be sure that the timing belt is done on both the I4 and V6.

For the guys who do mods, the preference is the I4, since you can just drop in a 4G63 Evo motor, and even a 2G drivetrain if you want to go AWD. Not many options for the V6 guys - there is a supercharger kit, and a few turbo kits (nothing in production as far as I know) - just stay away from the horrible e-Bay turbo kits.

My other car is an 03' V6 Galant - the 3rd gen Eclipse is basically a 2 door Galant :lol:

My mom has an 03 Eclipse 3.0 5spd, been a great car, no problems. Got about 80k on it now.

My wife has an 02 Galant 3.0 auto, also been a great car, no problems. It's got about 110k on it now.

My daughter has on 01 Galant 2.4 auto, been a piece of crap, but we did buy it used, and had NOT been taken care of, only paid 1k for it 2 years ago, if that gives you any idea of prior condition. It's got about 140k on it now, got it with 90k on it, and yeah, she drives the crap outta it.

Thanks for the input everyone, i looked at 3 yesterday from a torn up one at 2,500 to a couple way over priced ones. Seems like the Galants are a little cheaper though, no manual tranny but auto is ok for a daily so i'm thinking about looking at those to for sure.

My 03 Galant is manual ;)

The Eclipse 3G Eclipse transmission is a direct drop in for both the I4 and V6 (V6 just needs the passenger axle too) - the only cutting you have to do is for the clutch master cylinder, and there is already a knockout for it.

Edited by DryBear

The 2.4 motors are very reliable, but the auto trans attached to them blows. The V6 auto trans is not any better. The upper dash pad is most often broken or cracked, majority of the ones I saw come into the dismantlers around me have a cracked dash.

I think the v6 or the 4 cylinder are both good motors. I think the 3Gs are the same amount of room as the 2Gs. I have a 2G and love the looks but i would not get one for a daily driver because they all came with the 7bolt 4g63 and they all get crank walk and you dont want to deal with that on a dd. I would get a manual because then all you worry about is a clutch and throw out bearing and that is a lot cheaper than a whole new automatic. The galants are good and the 1G eclipse are easy to work on. But if you just want reliability for a dd either a toyota or Honda is your best bet.

Good to know about the auto's, i work in an transmission/mechanic's shop 2-3 days a week so i'm not worried about rebuilding one though well other than the headaches of getting it out/in and rebuilt between other stuff. Toyota's are a non option some reason i just can't seem to warm up to them at all (Except old carb'd pick-ups but that's a different story). Honda's i can do, my last one had to have been a lemon bad luck case, just checking out other options before i go with a Civic.

All the Eclipses i've looked at so far have been V6/Manuals... i'm going to drive by and look at the cheap one again tonight. Some reason i thought the 3rd gen's were bigger inside by a bit i've driven 1st and 2nd gens and they were a bit tight inside. '99+ Galants are looking better and better though.

Still stinging from being reminded yet again at the car lots if it's theirs it's plated in gold and if it's yours it's junk.

The reason I swapped a manual tranny into my Galant was because the original auto tranny died, so yeah, I would agree that the auto trannies for the 3G Eclipse/8G Galant/2G Stratus are not terribly reliable. The manual trannies, however, have a good track record. Edited by DryBear

The reason I swapped a manual tranny into my Galant was because the original auto tranny died, so yeah, I would agree that the auto trannies for the 3G Eclipse/8G Galant/2G Stratus are not terribly reliable. The manual trannies, however, have a good track record.

It's good to know that it's a fairly easy swap for the manual tranny, sounds like you've got a pretty cool Galant. Several of the ad's i've looked at on craigslist and autotrader have mentioned recently rebuilt tranny's and the mileage is fairly low around 100k-120k which is about right if they've never been serviced and/or driven hard at all.

Get the 2.4 with a 5spd, great cars. Should average mileage in the high 20's.

My buddy has a 2000, we built a backyard turbo kit for it like 6 years ago, untuned @ 5psi, the car is still running to this day and gets nothing but beatings.

Not being picky about the motor the pro's and con's i've seen so far is the 2.4l looks easy to work on with lots of space around it and it seems to be the choice to upgrade but i don't know if i want to mod it to much which means the V6 would be a better choice. Plus i haven't even seen a 2.4 for sale locally the three i've personally looked at are V6's. Hopefully i can drive the cheap one thats for sale in my tiny town the other two are 115 miles away and one looks like worse trouble for the money Bad. The run down on the three is as follows-

The local one - 2000 V6/5 speed, bright red, sunroof, and leather (Which is really what i want in options) BUT it has 177k a big dent in the front of the hood, assorted small dings, what looks like brake fluid on one fender, red duct tape holding up the spoiler, mismatched front/ rear tires, and a fairly dirty interior BUT they only want 2500 and i think they would go down from there.

The ricer- 2002 V6/5 speed, maroon red, cloth interior, No sunroof, Z style fenders, funky (but not big) rear spoiler, blown speakers, on off switch clutch, but only 62k miles... i'm sure they were silly hard miles to, this one really isn't an option especially at 6997.00 bucks.

Clean one- 2002 V6/5 speed, dark metalic gray, cloth interior, sunroof, Bone stock inside and out, and clean. 120k miles and also 6997.00 bucks.

They all have the same GT wheels and ALL of them need new headlights from yellowing. I'm going to try and catch the local place open and drive that one the three times i've went by they have been closed. If it runs acceptably well i might offer 2k i should be able to get 4k for my current daily and be able to fix the dings/dents and tune everything up and of course slap a magnaflow on it.

I sold mine for 6K with 150,000 but had some Mods.

4 banger is the same as the NA 1G, 2G.

Headlights yellow but can be cleaned up easy.

Hardest part of the V6 is changing the plugs. I can do it in about 30 min now but the first time was 8 hours. If you get it let me know I have a copy of the Service Man. you can have.

I have a magnaflow on it and it sounds good. Had a DP also but it got raspy.

need any help let me know.

also http://www.club3g.com/

Lots of info there and I am on there also same name.