My daughter driving down from Northern Cali

I'm happy! My daughter is making the 11+ hour drive from Humboldt County to LA. on what is now HER '87 R04 Conquest.

In true StarQuest ownership fashion, she checked all the fluids before leaving, checked her spare parts bag and tools before hitting the road!! She's doing something he old man has wanted to do forever and that is drive the SQ through Cali! ^_^

"Like". Your daughter is a boss. In paranoid about driving my car to Vegas with a caravan of other cars and plenty of friends to help along the way. Btw she needs to GTFO out of Humbolt and figure out another mo betta place to go :P

Darn! Well, she made it home. After a small "break down" on the I-5 Goreman, a grueling uphill climb for many miles. The temp needle started climbing past the half way point and like a responsible SQ owner, she pulled over onto the nearest exit. She let it sit for 30 mins, then opened rad cap to check coolant levels, all good and so was engine oil.

So, I guess it's just a really hot day and the uphill climb combined with the 100+ degree weather didn't do the car any good. I initially thought it overheated, but no. She pulled over before any serious temps were reached. That's an SQ driver! :lol:

Now to go over the car before she leaves again tomorrow for another 12 hour drive!

OH, and thanks Jeff for volunteering to look at the car. I was kinda glad this happended a few miles from within another SQC member.

Edited by louswheel01

This thread is useless without pics....LOL

but seriously, who taught her that it's ok to open the rad. cap of a hot car? yowza!

Turborusty

No no no, she waited at least 30 minutes before opening it. She knows well.

I wouldn't have been able to do much if she had stopped by. My back injury is really acting up. The grapevine is known for overheating engines. There are water tanks every few miles on that road.

I gotta get a temp gauge with numbers installed on this thing so she knows exactly what temps she's looking at. I don't have time this weekend so it will have to wait on her next visit.

On a different topic, I've heard that marijuana fermented alcohol is good for muscular pain. Maybe some alcohol with medical grade marijane will help with the back pain?

I gotta get a temp gauge with numbers installed on this thing so she knows exactly what temps she's looking at. I don't have time this weekend so it will have to wait on her next visit.

On a different topic, I've heard that marijuana fermented alcohol is good for muscular pain. Maybe some alcohol with medical grade marijane will help with the back pain?

Nah I'm not a pot type of guy. I wont go near the stuff. The wife and I went to rite aid and found one of those vibrating massagers for a chair. I've been laying on that for the past 3 hours. It was only $25. I may buy a few more at that price. Have one in every car :)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs416.snc4/47912_158839807465111_100000172771031_562845_4016149_n.jpg

Time for an upgraded radiator? Living in New Mexico, I seems like most car cooling systems are at the edge of failure. I've gotten to the point of just replacing any questionable cooling. It seems like this is the cause for most breakdowns and I think it is even more of an issue with older cars. I'm building an 86 and I'm doing everything I can to make cooling a non-issue.

It's got a larger core on stock upper and lower tanks and all three fans are wired to come on at the same time. She showed me on the gauge how hot it got, it was just on the top of the thermometer symbol on the gauge. That's not exactly overheating status but it was abnormal enough for her to take precautions.

Today, on the return trip I followed her through the Tejon Pass/ Grapevine. The car was fine.

Well, now I know my old Conquest can make a 700 mile trip!!

My daughter calls me when she stopped to fuel up in Chico, "say Dad, what's with the vibration in the back after 80 MPH!!?" :blink: