High Flow Cats, Ceramic vs Metallic

Cobalt60

I have received a 3" Mookeeh cat-back exhaust. I brought it to an exhaust place and they suggested it would be easier to get a new 3" cat, and adapt that to the stock down pipe, than it would be to adapt the 3" cat-back to the stock cat. So, I have started shopping for high flow 3" cats. Most of the ones I have come across are ceramic core, but I have seen it suggested that a metallic core is better suited to "high-temp" and "high performance" turbo applications. So, should I really try to get a metallic core unit, or should a ceramic core be fine?

Thanks

-Chris P

So you got a Mookeh exhaust. I see what you're trying to do, from the secondary cat, adapt the Mookeh 3" piping. Do you need a cat for emissions in your state?

There is no emissions testing where I am (Virginia), so I assume that would mean I dont require a cat to pass inspection, not sure though. I think I would rather run with a cat though, since they are good at what they do, and are relatively unobtrusive. I do take emissions into consideration even though it may not be legally required. I plan on eliminating the pre-cat and deleting the EGR system, so a 3" cat would be the sole emissions control device on the car.

Right now my old school 2.25" cat-back is detached from the cat, and from the muffler, theres a whole lot of rusted piping just dangling around back there. So my motivation for getting this cat-back was primarily as a repair with consideration to be compatible with future performance mods.

Ceramic, way better suited to the job. Being a chemist I find it odd the distinction is even made as these catalysts are metallic supported by ceramic. I can't fathom platinum and palladium supported by a metallic structure but hey, I am open to new ideas.

Scott

Cool so I was probably going to get the Magnaflow then. Seems like a reputable brand, and its onlt like $75, others are $100 or more. Im doing my cat converter shopping on eBay, so if anyone wants to suggest something other than the Magnaflow, thatd be great. But I already did get one recommendation for it.

Magnaflow $73

Yonaka $50

OBX Turbo $200

Why the price difference? And do I really need attachments for anything?

Thanks

-Chris P

Just go with the Magnaflow. In Cali we have strict smog laws so what some tuners do is go with an OEM cat. The aftermarket cats don't have 1/4 of the material of an OEM. I've had cars not pass emmissions because the aftermarket cat doesn't have what it takes.

But you don't have that problem where you are at. So Magnaflow is a brand name, you can't go wrong.

I blew my magnaflow apart because I used my step with it install which was a BIG mistake, I purchased another 3" maganflow cat and only install it when I go for emissions tests and I can really tell the difference in power it makes not having the cat installed

• 4 weeks later...

So you got a Mookeh exhaust. I see what you're trying to do, from the secondary cat, adapt the Mookeh 3" piping. Do you need a cat for emissions in your state?

It's not only a state law to have a catalytic converter....It is a FEDERAL LAW also.Up to a $50,000 dollar fine if your caught without one.Here in Montana we don't have any Smog inspections. But, if I get pulled over and the MHP wants to push it, I can end up in Federal court and be fined $50,000 for not running one. Fair warning to all !!!!

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

So, I guess I would want at least one bung if I ever want to use a Wide-Band, correct? Do I need a 2nd bung for any reason?

If you want to run a Wideband O-2, Yes, you will need one installed at least 36 inches downstream from the turbo outlet. If you use the one right after the turbo you will eat up your sensor real quick.

CALIBER 308