workin on another members auto car, have questions

cyberquest

yes, that is a vent tube, nothing gets connected there.

can you tell for sure which side the fluid is coming from? the only things on the pass side are that tube, which should only leak if the trans is WAY overfull (doubt that...lol) or the dipstick tube is not in all the way (that would be my bet) and maybe the shift selector switch if that had a bad seal on it (again, very doubtful)

The other side however, has all kinds of little trinkets that may be prone to leakage.

My main concern is that some damage was done to the pump, and it's leaking out of the bellhousing area..... oh well, crap happens....lol

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best bet will be to wipe everything down and get a helper to slowly pour the ATF in while you observe from below. As Slowquest said, there aren't too many locations on the passenger side for leakage to occur...especially if it is leaking faster than you can pour the ATF in. O-Ring for the dipstick filler tube? (MD713850, page 21A-48, item 6)

http://www.starquestgarage.com/partsloc/conquest/1988/88_conquest_parts_locator_-_group_21a_-_transmission_-_automatic.pdf

If the leakage is from the bellhousing, could be the oil pump seal. Page 21A-54, item 8. Item 9 are the oil pump plugs, 2 required.

Edited by MidMoTSI

its the tube on the passenger side just as you guys discribed, 90% sure the fluid was coming out from there. at first i thought that the fluid was coming out the trans pan cause thats where i saw it dripping from. i grabbed my rachet to tighten the bolts on the pan and knoticed it dripping from the tube.

havent been out there this morning to see if the puddle is any larger or not. this is how much poured out last night.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/vcyberbob/larry/larry039-1.jpg

ok my brains kinda remembering things as i am waking up and thinking back on it. i only poured in two quarts cause i wasnt sure how much fluid still may be in the trans. the first quart poured in very fast, second qt went in a heck of a lot slower and i bet it was because it was full and slowly draining out that tube. it also made some weird noise when i poured in the second quart now that i think about it cause i was like "what the heck was that"

The system holds 7.4 qts. though all of it isn't in the tranny....torque converter, transmission cooler, hoses, etc.

When running, the ATF is pumped through the system. On my rebuild, I initially started with 7 qts. I filled the oil cooler and Mark at the transmission shop told me to put a half a quart in the torque converter before I installed it to ensure lubrication prior to startup. With 7 qts and completely empty system, I knew that I would be almost a half quart low after the ATF was pumped and filled the system.

If your system was completely drained and none added to the cooler and torque converter, adding 7.4 qts would exceed the capacity of the tranny body and it could leak from the relief tube.

None was "drained" but quite a bit came out during the engine removal. 2 quarts shouldn't have caused it to run out the vent. Unless of course it was way overfull to start with.....lol

I'd just leave it, the car will start and run with whatevers left in there. If it goes in gear, great, check the level then, if not, I'm guessing I'm doing another auto trans swap this weekend....LOL

on top of the gas tank swap...haha. cause it isnt gonna be able to start until we can get some gas in the tank cause that mother is BONE DRY :lol:

i dumped in 2 qts but pretty sure its not 2 qts that dumped out. like i say that first qt went in fast not sticking around in the funnel long at all, the second qt poured in very slow and was being backed up in the funnel.

larry are you coming down today at all?

on top of the gas tank swap...haha. cause it isnt gonna be able to start until we can get some gas in the tank cause that mother is BONE DRY :lol:

i dumped in 2 qts but pretty sure its not 2 qts that dumped out. like i say that first qt went in fast not sticking around in the funnel long at all, the second qt poured in very slow and was being backed up in the funnel.

larry are you coming down today at all?

NOT very likely, the thing I had to do today is at 3:30, probably take a couple hours for that, then the hour drive home, then the 2 hour drive to your place, then the 2 hour drive back..........Probably tomorrow, lol

Now I wish I'd have left that can of gas in the back of the truck. Or at least tossed a couple gallons of it in there to get an idea of where the leak would have been. I'll probably drop the tank outta the Durban tonight, and bring it up with me tomorrow.

Edited by slowquest

ok i was gonna wait and see if you were coming before i attemepted to dump some gas in this tank. like i say the patch job he did is right by the drain plug so its right on the bottom of the tank. i should know asap if its gonna leak, just wish there was a cheaper way to find out then $3 a gallon. :lol:

i just wanna get it started and let it warm up to temps so i can re-tourqe the head, set timing and just make sure everything is working correctly.

the 02 sensor in this thing is pretty ratty looking, gonna peak around and see if i have a better one but i had to tear the place up last night looking for a coil cause i forgot to grab the one off the duraban and your other 2 cars here dont have one. i finally found my old one in my tool box in the old msd package my new one came in.

ok i was gonna wait and see if you were coming before i attemepted to dump some gas in this tank. like i say the patch job he did is right by the drain plug so its right on the bottom of the tank. i should know asap if its gonna leak, just wish there was a cheaper way to find out then $3 a gallon. :lol:

i just wanna get it started and let it warm up to temps so i can re-tourqe the head, set timing and just make sure everything is working correctly.

the 02 sensor in this thing is pretty ratty looking, gonna peak around and see if i have a better one but i had to tear the place up last night looking for a coil cause i forgot to grab the one off the duraban and your other 2 cars here dont have one. i finally found my old one in my tool box in the old msd package my new one came in.

I've got a brand new generic o2 sensor, i'll bring it up with me. The coil in the Durban I don't trust after looking at it, the bottom is rusted VERY badly, and it looks like maybe the oil all leaked out, maybe that was part of the missing when hot issue?? That poor car......I really feel bad for it, for all the issues it had, it never left me stranded, made it anywhere you took it.

busted my tail to take it from this...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/vcyberbob/larry/larry025-2.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/vcyberbob/larry/larry026-2.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/vcyberbob/larry/larry027-1.jpg

to this...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/vcyberbob/larry/larry038-1.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/vcyberbob/larry/larry041-1.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/vcyberbob/larry/larry040-1.jpg

and now i cant start it cause the gas tank has a hole in it :lol: its freaking killing me i cant fire it up.

you know i was just thinking, is your bank statement gonna be able to handle a additional $5 for gas onto your bill? LMAO

i am laughin but i hope i have $5 in my bank to buy the gas to add to your bill.. :lol: :lol: man times are rough right now.

one last request? put the headshields around the turbo, I know you don't like them, but.........

I can probably dig around in the couches and chairs and find enough pennies to pay you back. LOL

Edited by slowquest

one last request? put the headshields around the turbo, I know you don't like them, but.........

I can probably dig around in the couches and chairs and find enough pennies to pay you back. LOL

yea i was going to put it back on but someone else installed the turbo :lol:

gas tank still leaks for sure, soon as i started pouring in gas it started dripping out the patch job. but i figure its got gas in it so try and start it and....

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/vcyberbob/Misc%20Quest%20Pics/larry045.jpg

better grab the line off the duraban car coming off the top of the engine bay fuel filter, the other white car and the 88 out back both have that line CUT OFF :rolleyes:

Edited by cyberquest

larry pulled the line off the car the motor came out of and was supposed to be down yesterday with that and the tank but he got busy and didnt make it.

hows the trans in the car, we are hoping that its good cause larry mentioned he busted the bell housing on the other car cause he had to unload it himself.

trans worked great for for 1 thru 3 but OD was never there sometimes it would shift in and out alot and then just stay in 3rd after that or when you would hit the button it wouldn't even try to shift in to OD i never got around to test things or adjust the band. but you said something was locked up earlier so maybe the trans went south on my wife and not the motor but it sure as hell sounded like a bad rod knock.

we got the donor tank in and the fuel line up front replaced, we have a leaky oil feed like that had a broken flare and i have to repair that. we got it up and running but for some reason the tach wasnt reading and it seemed like it was running pretty rough. got a few little bugs to work out and i should be able to take it for a test drive.

the trans seems ok and wasnt making any funny noises while it was running and wasnt dumping out any fluid so it may be ok.

just drove the car and got pulled over. :lol:

car ran and drove pretty good, i think i got all the bugs outta the motor. the shifter linkage needs some serious adjustment but as far as i could tell it shifted into OD just fine and was staying there. but i didnt have it up any faster then maybe 50mph.

the miss that the car had i believe was related to the injector clips. either larry had the injectors in the wrong place in the other TB or the injector clip with the longer wire is the primary wire cause i swapped the clips around and the miss went away. i am gonna guess it was running on the secondary cause idle seems to be smooth now.