MAP convert

megasquirt, sds, haltech, fox, motec, projection, wolf, there are alot of companies that make standalone engine management systems. you could also use starquest ecu and maft pro

uppon searching the box of random parts the guy gave me with the car. i found a rather huge MAF sensor. Unsure what it is but ill get a picture soon in hopes someone knows. and what seems to be a MAF-T. While this is great that i can use a more common MAF....

Id still like a MAP. so unless a MAF-T translates a MAF signal to a MAP.. that doesnt do me much good.

uppon searching the box of random parts the guy gave me with the car. i found a rather huge MAF sensor. Unsure what it is but ill get a picture soon in hopes someone knows. and what seems to be a MAF-T. While this is great that i can use a more common MAF....

Id still like a MAP. so unless a MAF-T translates a MAF signal to a MAP.. that doesnt do me much good.

stock ecu uses a MAF, you can upgrade to a eclipse 1g MAF or do a MAF-T conversion. I don't recall anyone converting to a MAP setup for the stock ecu. You'll need to a total ecu swap listed above which will require much more work and if your going to go with aftermarket ecu you might as well convert the tbi setup to a MPI setup.

Yes, you can run MAP with the Maf Pro. Why are you so desperate to run MAP instead of a MAF? Power wise, some high power TBI cars run a gm maf and a maf translator. You can run a blow threw maf sensor and place the bov behind the maf if the bov issue is your reasoning.

i saw the maf-t pro has the capability but i have no idea how accurate it would be.

As does e manage ultimate and some other systems out there. The learning curve on tuning those units is probably pretty steep. Scott87Star? is working on a plug and play megasquirt system for our car.

Edited by StarquestRescue

Yes, you can run MAP with the Maf Pro. Why are you so desperate to run MAP instead of a MAF? Power wise, some high power TBI cars run a gm maf and a maf translator. You can run a blow threw maf sensor and place the bov behind the maf if the bov issue is your reasoning.

Simply put. I hate MAF. On a second note. MAFs are expensive pieces of plastic/metal. Id rather spend 1300 on a standalone ECU and tuning than 400-700 bucks on a MAF depending where you get it around here and worry about when it'll go bad. which btw is not including the price of the MAF-T.

On top of that... with a standalone you can do some serious mods which is what i was looking at doing, the motor needs to be rebuilt so i figured screew it ill just build it.

My question for you now Scotty.... Why are you so into MAF over MAP?

Simply put. I hate MAF.

Why? The GM maf with maf-t conversition has proven very reliable and powerful.

On a second note. MAFs are expensive pieces of plastic/metal. Id rather spend 1300 on a standalone ECU and tuning than 400-700 bucks on a MAF depending where you get it around here and worry about when it'll go bad. which btw is not including the price of the MAF-T.

GM maf and Maft is very inexpensive when compared to the cost and involvement of installation and tuning a full standalone. A GM maf at a junkyard or ebay shouldn't cost more then $25 and the maf-t is only $200 new (up grade to pro or genII which can do MAP if so desired).

On top of that... with a standalone you can do some serious mods which is what i was looking at doing, the motor needs to be rebuilt so i figured screew it ill just build it.

If you plan to go mpi then this "MAP CONVERSION" thread is useless anyway as most stadalones run map based fuel maps anyway.

My question for you now Scotty.... Why are you so into MAF over MAP?

Who said I was so into maf over map? I have ran megasquirt on my car with a fully built motor mpi and a 16g, I just got tired of farging with the car and finally just decided i wanted to actually DRIVE IT! Back to tbi, maf-t and blow threw maf setup and I am happier then ever because I do not have to tune a thing. I just hop in my car everyday it starts right up and runs 13's no problem. It all depends on what you want, yes my car was faster with mpi but thats not all I care about I want something that will make it where ever I want to go without ANY issues.

Mass air flow is mass air flow, know that along with air temp and WBO2 and you know exactly how much fuel to add. They are much easier to tune but they have limitations. The early versions had bad pressure drop, largely fixed with the hot wire GM units but they still operate best within a fixed flow "window". Go outside of that and mayhem appears. MAP suffers no such window but is not a direct measure of airflow so it has to be tuned. Change something in a MAP system and you have to re-tune because you've just changed the flow dynamic so if you want to run MAP get some good tuning equipment/software. Like lots of stuff its a trade off and you base what you like on how involved you want to be.

Scott