bsek degree of difficulty

marty

i have this rattling in my drivetrain which i believe to be a balance shaft going out; i have the kit, which contains very, very basic instructions, 1 sheet; after looking at my car, i did show it to a foreign car mechanic in town, who suggested i "just drive it until it blows" (he was serious)! mechanic wise on a scale of 1 to 5, i give myself a solid 3, i did a head gasket replacement with little difficulty years ago on a previous conquest, so my question; can the engine even stay in the car? Any special tools needed? sorry so wordy, it just looks a little intimidating, thanks for any replies

I did it in my drive way about 5 years ago. It took me two days cuz I took my time and made sure everything was right. And I replaced the rod bearings then cuz I had the oil pan down and wanted to look at 'em but I did not need to. I had "the just in case" replacement bearings in hand, so WTH took plasti guage readings & replaced 'em. One less thing to be concerned about later on.

I would suggest that you look at the below post which details what is involved in doing the BSE and you make up your own mind. I know that I used PQ's link to make sure that I did the BSE correctly. :)

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=944&sid=7157e75594c45aaa11a9d4985aeeb2fc

It's fairly straight forward and easy. Just be sure the engine is in time when you button 'er up.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot

On a scale of 1 to 5, it would be a 5. Out of 10, it would be a 9.

Don't dive into the job with a fistfull of hope and some basic tools. Just read the service manual, look up an FAQ about it and ask questions if you have them. Give yourself two full days.

I'm with Ken (starfighterpilot) on this. Follow the step by step on the IX link he posted and allow yourself 2 days if you've never done it before. The hardest part of the whole thing for me was scraping the 20+ year old oil pan gasket off the bottom of the block. I think it'd petrified on there. And the pan DOES need to come down to be able to get the oil pump and it's pickup off correctly. You'll be amazed at the pile of muck in the pan once you get it off. Also make sure to use a new OEM oring on the pickup when it goes back together. The aftermarket ones tend to not seal right. Everything else is pretty simple, just takes time and attention to detail. If you handled the head gasket you should be able to make this happen.

Oh yeah, radiator out just to give a little more room, and engine doesn't have to come out.

All that chewed up metal chewed up the other bearings, you have it torn down you need to do it right and replace the rod and main bearings at the same time. You should remove and flush out the oil cooler and you need new timing components you can't just put in a BSEK and think that this old tired motor will continue to run but only a few more miles then its going to need major work after its all chewed up inside.

That BSEK should have only been able to be purchased with a full rebuild kit it has caused most of these engines to be just shortly after destroyed.

• 2 months later...
I got around to installing the BSEK kit, & did a jet valve elimination while i was at it. the information you guys gave me was invaluable, thanks so much. & now, the aftermath: good news, & not so good. the noise is gone, that appears to have been the source of it; oil pressure is very high, that was another of my worries; a slight antifreeze leak, i'm hoping it is just a clamp i have to retighten, i have not yet located it; but upon driving the car, it backfires like a mother! it keeps blowing off intercooler hoses, & will not stay running. I tried to be meticulous upon re-assembly, but something is not right. suggestions? thanks again guys

All that chewed up metal chewed up the other bearings, you have it torn down you need to do it right and replace the rod and main bearings at the same time. You should remove and flush out the oil cooler and you need new timing components you can't just put in a BSEK and think that this old tired motor will continue to run but only a few more miles then its going to need major work after its all chewed up inside.

That BSEK should have only been able to be purchased with a full rebuild kit it has caused most of these engines to be just shortly after destroyed.

Isn't necessary! Reason why there are oil filters on the car.

Isn't necessary! Reason why there are oil filters on the car.

No, there is no oil filter that filters 100% of your oil 100% of the time. Oil is only filtered PARTIALLY and when there is crap from guides and chewed up bearing material it free flows everywhere over and over. Why would someone need to do a BSEK unless the bearings were ate up? Takes a long time usually for that to happen and the pan was off so why not spend another hour and 50 more dollars to get it over with? All oil filters have a bypass valves, some of those open up at very low pressures if not they would explode. Cold oil, thick oil, high rpms all just have the valve open all the time only filtering a little bit of the oil. The point is to have clean oil and that's why its changed frequently. You can't filter out what passes through the bypass valve. If the filter caught all the crap then no motors would ever be worn out would they? Be nice if that were true. So many times this same thing has happened and seems like the noise is gone, comes back worse a little bit later. You know, after you decide to drive the crap out of that tired old pos motor that had the crap pumped through it. Its also in the oil cooler laying in the bottom just waiting to flow out on a hot day at high rpms.

Then you get to rebuild the entire thing and it eats up the head too and might even kill your turbo.

Isn't that worth spending that extra time and money on?

I got around to installing the BSEK kit, & did a jet valve elimination while i was at it. the information you guys gave me was invaluable, thanks so much. & now, the aftermath: good news, & not so good. the noise is gone, that appears to have been the source of it; oil pressure is very high, that was another of my worries; a slight antifreeze leak, i'm hoping it is just a clamp i have to retighten, i have not yet located it; but upon driving the car, it backfires like a mother! it keeps blowing off intercooler hoses, & will not stay running. I tried to be meticulous upon re-assembly, but something is not right. suggestions? thanks again guys

did you hook the wastegate actuator back up? sounds like your overboosting

oil pressure is suppose to be higher with bsek

check the rubber hose that connects the metal line at the back of the water pump