Stock boost level

flaatr

It is my understanding that the stock boost level on a stock G54B StarQuest was around 8 PSI... I've been talking to a local guy who claims his car boost 12 PSI and it's all original i.e. no aftermarket boost controller, fish tank valve, etc.

Is he full of 'stuff' or am I mistaken?

-Raffi

ive had my orig 12A hit an astounding 17psi with a manual boost controller "NOT RECOMENDED' since then i backed it down to around 12. 12psi is the safest psi for these turbos . if you want more boost get a bigger turbo!

stock should be 7-8 psi but you really need an aftermarket boost guage to know accurately. I have heard of changing some vac lines around on the stock 3 port wastegate to attain more, but have never tried it. The stockboost guage is just the ecu's educated guess. I can attest to removing the stock very restrictive exhaust and running a 2.5 turbo back setup helping boost, it has me peeking at 10 psi and creeping back to 8 psi on a 89 shp with stock 12a.

BC_99

83-87 cars were 8 psi stock

88-89 cars were 10 psi stock

That sounds right. Ive always heard 7 1/2 psi on stock boost but I know for the 88's and 89's the boost was raised to about 10psi (sounds about right). My stock gauge on my STOCK 89 reads about 10-12psi at full boost.

Still I wouldnt trust the stock gauge at all.