starquest down... Bad quest Bad Bad Quest

importwarrior

well for starters. i was driving down the highway about 70. i started to

hear this chiming slight squeel noise. then notice the temp gauge pass

the little Square after the H on the gauge. :blink: needless to say

i pulled over and the sounds got louder from the engine. pop open the

hood and noticed the pullies are sepperated on the crank. like the

dampner fell apart to pieces. also the water pump pully was wobbling.

i believe the engine is probably shot. sad sad very sad day. i dont know

what to do with this. the head is cracked and i dont think it is worth

saving. funds are tighter than ever and layoffs are monday. :huh:

Thanks for listennng.

:(

Im sorry man! I feel your pain. I just got rear ended yesterday. I just posted a similar thread with a similar title. I think youve got it worse though.

Sounds like it happened pretty quick.

Your motor should be fine, if the coolant blew out the gauge wouldn't have shown anything, if it only got up to the top then its not that big of a big deal. You heard it, you stopped. After the motor stopped the coolant temps did go up but so what, they do every time you turn the motor off anyway it was just hotter than it usually is. You realize how hot combustion temperatures are? The exhaust temp. gauges read up past 1200-1500degrees so what if it got 30 degrees hotter than it usually does. This is why you don't run motors without exhaust manifolds on them to get the heat away from the valves at least a foot or so but what about inside the combustion chamber? The cylinder walls? There's not a coolant temp. sensor in there where the jet valves were its way out on the intake manifold and even that manifold with air blowing on it can cool down the coolant temps. This is another reason the head is aluminum and not cast iron, the aluminum sheds heat. There are many air cooled motors out there. Don't get scared you hurt something. Did your alternator charging light also come on? It would have if the alternator stopped turning or was turning too slowly. At least the belt still turned if it were there it was just making allot of noise. You didn't mention that or if the belt came off but still I don't think it was as "damaging" as you think it was.

That really sux man. I say, check for coolant in the oil, if not then just throw on a different w/p and crank pulley and see what happens. I have an extra w/p here i can send to you if you just pay 7bux shipping.

thanks guys,

Indi you are correct. the batt light was on. oil pressure dropped to about 1/3 on he gauge.

probably because she was running so hot. When i got home i could turn the pulley with my

hands. the water, alt and crank pulley turned with ease. I drained the oil and it was black

as can be. needless to say there was no coolant in the engine. no rad fluid in the oil

either. I have no idea how long it was runing hot.

i did not have time to get a crank pulley yet. working on that right now. i had to do some

B~S~Engineering. i know this is not good BUT a friend welded the pulley for the alt,

water and crank to the outer AC pulley. Again i know it is not good to

do that. well i dont know how he ligned it up but there is virtually no wobble in the

crank pulley at all. when reving and at idle it is basically smooth as can be. if i did

not see the weld marks i would never known it was welded together. my car does not have AC.

The belt does not hit any welds. not even close. so changed the oil and filter. filled it

up with coolant. let it run for a while and no loss of coolant. oil pressure was back to

normal. no knock or clanking of rods or pistons. i drove it around the block a few times

and it held the temp at a little below half. let it sit for a few hours and no leaks.

then later took it for a 60 mile drive and it actually held the temp better now than ever.

the alt volts are higher than before. The oil pressure looked to be normal. well the same

as it was when i first got it. i hope to get a pulley this week.

i believe there is still an isue and feel it needs a rebuild. I dont think i will feel

right untill i get it rebuilt. just need to be easy on it. hope it lasts untill fall

when i can put it away and do the rebuild of the engine.