Lets talk about flywheels shall we

MiniSRT4

My car is an 87,crank is from an 88. I have an 88 flywheel BUT the clutch in the car is pretty close to new, I dont feel like replacing. When I picked up my motor and everything from DAD, we tried to get the dowel pin out with no luck. He suggested I line up both flywheels and drill a hole through the 87 flywheel. I do not have access to a drill press, and I would prefer not to do it with a drill due to Id like it straight as humanly possible.

My question is, would I be able to just take a hack saw to it? :lol: Hope I dont get flammed for that question, but I really need this car together, everything is there and this is the only thing stopping me at the moment. Or better yet, could the pin be drilled out?

Thanks guys

Mike

yup i would bake it in the oven at 200 for an hour or so and then try and yank it out. :D

when you put it back in put the dowl in the freezer over night then first thing take it out

of the freezer and tap it in to the flywheel.

Edited by importwarrior

Get a propane torch and put it on the outside area by the dowel for a good 15-20min and then put a vise grip on there nice and tight and it should get it off by moving it slowly back and forth and out at the same time. DON'T have the vise grip on there with the heat not good I know!!!

Did you try vise grips & heat?

Randy had a special tool at his shop we tried with heat, didnt work

yup i would bake it in the oven at 200 for an hour or so and then try and yank it out. :D

when you put it back in put the dowl in the freezer over night then first thing take it out

of the freezer and tap it in to the flywheel.

Cranks already in the block, plus it doesnt have to go back in, flywheel goin on is an 87

Get a propane torch and put it on the outside area by the dowel for a good 15-20min and then put a vise grip on there nice and tight and it should get it off by moving it slowly back and forth and out at the same time. DON'T have the vise grip on there with the heat not good I know!!!

well Ill try this, but Ill wait to put the vice grips on :lol:

Thanks though guys!

If you drill the hole in the 87 flywheel it can be over sized. It will not do anything, but that way you still have the dowel for when you are ready to step up to and 88 flywheel. Provided the dowel is not already buggered beyond doing its job in an 88.

Another option would be to try and drill and tap it so you could put a screw in it to hook a puller to.

If the dowel is not to buggered to bad, bite the bullet and buy a cheep 88 clutch,

Edited by StarquestRescue

well I havnt gotten over there to try any of this yet. BUT, drilling a hole too big isnt going to harm anything I assume correct?

And Joe, if you want to, bring the clutch up with ya..and the quest...I havnt seen what you traded the blood sweat and tears neon for