About to change an 87 car over to an 88 igniter, questions...

JessN16

I've read the post on the FAQ board concerning putting an 88 igniter on an 87 car, but I can't really tell what the exact piece of advice is. Do I need to cut the harnesses on both sides (88 igniter, 87 car), or is there a way to modify the plug where they'll plug in?

I do not have a the 88 car-half of the igniter wiring harness.

Basically, what's the easiest way to do this?

Jess

Well you need the 88 tail from the car to switch the knock box over. Since there is no female clip on the 87 knock box like the 88 you really cant really use that. only thing you can really do is cut out the clips and wire it straight to the knock box but then you wont have a clip to disconnect it. IMO I wouldnt do that, I would just search around for a 88 tail part for you to wire it in. I have one but Im still unsure if Im gonna be using it yet. Look for people junkin 88 89 cars or someone with a spare harness outta a 88 89.

the connectors have the same wire lay out the 88/89 just have 2 extra wires

the two wires you realy need to pay attention to are the 2 white wires,, their location must stay the same, one is the coil neg trigger and the other the ecu and dash tach signal

the connectors have the same wire lay out the 88/89 just have 2 extra wires

the two wires you realy need to pay attention to are the 2 white wires,, their location must stay the same, one is the coil neg trigger and the other the ecu and dash tach signal

Shelby,

So are you saying to cut the harnesses and match wires to each other one at a time? Or is there someway to make the plugs fit? (It's raining like crazy outside right now, so I haven't looked closely at what's on the 87).

Jess