Timing issues and spark knock

spooky1

I just installed my new vac advance on my car.I timed the engine to 10 before top dead center.Took he car own the road and it ran ok.I noticed though when i had the hood popped and was reving the engine about 1/2 throttle it started spark knockng.Sounded like a friggin diesel truck.When i pulled the vac advance hose off it went away.What am i doing wrong? It has new accel wires,msd blaster 2 coil,new cap,new rotor.Its running a small 16g with non jet head,225 walbro,and fuel pressure at 38-40lbs.The motor has less than 1000 miles on it.

Was it fully warmed up when you timed it?

Sure you had the right mark on the crank pulley and not a scratch or nick?

Sure you used the #1 plug wire?

I'd check that timing again, don't drive it like that.

I just checked it again waiting till the car was completely warmed up.When i checked it it was not at 10 but clser to top dead so i reset it.When i rev up the car it revs nice with no sounds. Its oly when i slowely rev up the car that it gets to a knock sound.Timing mark on the crank is correct because i used a metallic silver pen to higligt the notch,The tester was on the #1 wire. Dont know what else to do.When the advance is unhooked theres no noise when sowely reving so its def in te timing.

idk if it could be this...but the grease inside the distributors gets pretty bad after 20 years if it hasnt been done already. I would take the cap and rotor off and check to see if the weights are still moving freely. Again im not very smart with the whole timing bit...but i know i had problems with this in my car recently.