A Little SPUTTER/BACKFIRE HELP PLEASE~!!

Heres the story, I bought the car from some mexican guy who had 20 inch rims on it... I saved the car just in time and im currently rewiring things.

I changed the plugs/wires (cap and rotor are fine)

when I floor the petal, I get like a loud churp kinda noise and i loose power and hear a pop... >??? lol turbo spools bov goes off.. but car doesnt take off like shes suppose to.

any ideas of what this could be???

Im thinking these:

clogged cat...

turbo manifold gasket blown...

something with the vacuum hoses...

Any idea or help would be greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance guys!

-Snowman3karrotz

Just to make sure check the vac advance...doesnt really sound like your problem but its worth a shot.

Its the saucer looking thing on the distributor. Disconnect the vac line on the Throttle body side and suck on it...use your tongue to make it hold vacuum. If it loses vacuum that will cause a bucking issue.

Just to make sure check the vac advance...doesnt really sound like your problem but its worth a shot.

Its the saucer looking thing on the distributor. Disconnect the vac line on the Throttle body side and suck on it...use your tongue to make it hold vacuum. If it loses vacuum that will cause a bucking issue.

ok man so i did the vacuum hose suck thing and tried to hold thE PRESSURE IN WITH my tongue but the pressure didnt hold... just to make sure..

(i kept the hose on the vac advance saucer thing.. disconnected the other end from the throttle body and did the whole suck and create pressure held it with my tongue and it didnt hold.. it just fell off my tongue.)

so im gussing it failed? so how do i fix it?

ok man so i did the vacuum hose suck thing and tried to hold thE PRESSURE IN WITH my tongue but the pressure didnt hold... just to make sure..

(i kept the hose on the vac advance saucer thing.. disconnected the other end from the throttle body and did the whole suck and create pressure held it with my tongue and it didnt hold.. it just fell off my tongue.)

so im gussing it failed? so how do i fix it?

R & R

(Remove and replace)

well im not sure if the vac adv helped the problem but something like that happend to me and it was my coil but it only happend when my car was running at normal temp not if she was cold my coil had a hair line crack in it so when she got hot it would open up and i would lose spark just something to look into

• 2 weeks later...

well im not sure if the vac adv helped the problem but something like that happend to me and it was my coil but it only happend when my car was running at normal temp not if she was cold my coil had a hair line crack in it so when she got hot it would open up and i would lose spark just something to look into

hey whats up, yea the vac advance didn't do s*** man. lol and i even replaced the turbo manifold because it had a crack, nothing, im gonna go with the coil tomorrow and see if that helps, thanks man! i appreciate it

The BOV is a 1g and stock eclipses were made to recirculate the air, meaning the air that came out of the BOV was routed back into the intake so it was quieter and the mass air saw that no air was lost so it didnt think it had a boost leak. Our cars didnt come stock with a BOV so when the air is released the ecu doesnt compensate for the lost air. The 1g BOV can open at idle periodically letting air out instead of making it into the throttle body. People take 1g BOVs and put them in a vice to crush the top down to put more pressure on the spring thus requiring more air for it to open now cuz there is more tension on the spring inside. On your car you should be able to rev it up and while doing that you can look inside the BOV and see the piston closed down. If while revving it up you see the piston going up you are creating a boost leak meaning the tension on that BOV isnt enough or you may have a vaccuum leak. Be sure that you used the third (closest to firewall) vaccuum port on the intake for you BOV. And also check your vaccuum line for rips or holes.