strut inserts

with all the other types of cars out there, could there be other

strut inserts that could easily fitin to our strut assemblies?

i see a ton of inserts out there. are we only limited to the MR2

as far as dimensions?

pro's?

cons?

strut inserts a plenty click me!!!

on a side note this post seems interesting, dont know if something like this could work for our cars.

modified nissan strut koni insert

Edited by importwarrior

Alright, I got some measurments of similar struts...

Illumina BZ1093 85-90 VW GTi Front Insert TH=13.062, TW=1.660, CH=14.625 EH=21.375

Illumina BZ3126 90-95 MR2 Rear Insert TH=13.938, TW=1.705, CH=14.438 EH=21.563

Illumina BZ1085 87-89 MR2 Rear Insert TH=14.75

Illumina BZ4005 84-89 300zx Front Insert TH=13.75, EH=23.00

Measurement Abreviations:

TH=Insert Tube Height

TW= Tube Width

CH=Compressed Height from bottom of tube to top of polished area of rod

EH=Extended Height from bottom of tube to top of polished area of rod (height above polished area is not measured)

-Robert

trying to find a set of blown SHP rears is going to be a challenge.

anyone have a set for sale? PM me.

you can also use an extra set of fronts to modify the non shp rears to use other struts.

Edited by Garrett_M

that makes no sense... you can use front inserts by modifying rear shp housings.

or you can use rear mr2 (or various others) inserts in rear non shp housings by welding the top half of a front strut on.

Front struts have inserts, rear NON shp's dont. But they can be modded to... Does that make sense?

that makes no sense... you can use front inserts by modifying rear shp housings.

not entirely true Jesse....

You can use non-shp rears by cutting the top off, and welding the top threaded section of a non-shp front on to it. it's another way to do the MR2 swap

You can use non-shp rears by cutting the top off, and welding the top threaded section of a non-shp front on to it. it's another way to do the MR2 swap

Yep!!

-Robert

i get ya now... the wording was touch for me to catch the first time though :/

ok are there any inserts from a 2009 or 2010 car that might be a fit for our rear struts to use as an insert.

has anyone looked in to it?

the reason the front tokicos would be a good way to go is the top threaded portion will fit into either the stock strut mount or a camber plate made specifically for the car. that way your only modifying the bottom of the strut housing. i believe the mr2 struts have a bigger diameter at the top of the shaft. one of the smarter guys can confirm this.

now i dont know if the front and rear tokicos had a different compression rate and how this would affect handling...

so the threaded part that needs to go in the hole is bigger than the stock hole in the strut mount correct?

tell me the difference between the flatty front inserts and the wide bodies. for some reason the fact they are shorter comes to mind.

get that fricken airdam painted! :D

Edited by 89PalermoSHP

I'm not sure on actual insert length differences, but for MR2 insert modding, I noticed the casings are about 1/2" shorter on the flatties, plus the difference in angle at the spindle

p.s. I've got a lot more to finish up before I patch some spots on and paint the airdam ;)

Edited by D_Venable

Found this in the pics in my MR2 swap with airbags thread...

a front widebody KYB replacement insert sits 10mm above the top of an uncut rear SHP housing

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10030/DSCF6102.jpg

but if you cut the little cup off the bottom of that insert, it might fit, or come close depending on the gland nut

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10030/DSCF6081.jpg

Edited by D_Venable