im ready to hang up the keys

turbod88

i have had this problem for a few days now and its really pissing me off.excuse my french but really im ready to give up already.... so this morning i go in my garage and fire up my quest so i could leave i let her warm up so i left the garage and came back in 10 mins later.the garge was filled with light blue smoke.like i said i have had this problem after i changed my oil last thursday,but today it was really bad.on top of that my tranny is shaking violently,i need to replace the motor mount,and it leaks alot of oil.i know these cars are 20years or older and probly have been abused and not taken care of but jeez im ready to sell her already..

Help us help you.. where is leak coming from, if uncertain place a large piece of cardboard then pull it in the am so we have an idea? Oil weight? Filter type? This is with garage door open when idling correct? These are good cars ounce you sort it out they run well and for sometime..

the oil is 5 30,its leaking from the bak of the motor,filter is purealator,and the garage door was wide open.i understand i paid 1000 for the car and its gonna have problems but dam there is more to it then i expected.

the oil is 5 30,its leaking from the bak of the motor,filter is purealator,and the garage door was wide open.i understand i paid 1000 for the car and its gonna have problems but dam there is more to it then i expected.

Ok rear of engine most likely valve cover seal..you will see a half moon shaped rubber plug there they push out oil if the pcv is corked or the oil sep is clogged and not draining back to the pan.

You live in Blairsville is that PA or GA..if in PA run 10w30 or GA run 10w40 especially if the car has a few miles on it, things are loose and put oil in parts it shouldn't be..

Also check all vacuum lines you would be amazed how many issues that will resolve..

thanks for the quick responses,ill will be sure to do all this later on this morning.another question tho my car idles normal until it starts to get warm then shoots up to 1400rpm,could this be a vaccum leak or do i need to reset the tps like another member suggested i do?

thanks for the quick responses,ill will be sure to do all this later on this morning.another question tho my car idles normal until it starts to get warm then shoots up to 1400rpm,could this be a vaccum leak or do i need to reset the tps like another member suggested i do?

Do both...It will save on aspirin later

i just relized that your answer has not answerd my question why would my car be pouring out white smoke from the tail pipe....i guess i should have mentioned that part sorry.

i just relized that your answer has not answerd my question why would my car be pouring out white smoke from the tail pipe....i guess i should have mentioned that part sorry.

I thought it was blue smoke? Blue Smoke=oil burn and White smoke=water/antifreeze, as its idling put your hand or a rag at the tail pipe for a few seconds then smell it..

If its sweet smelling its antifreeze most likely a headgasket or blown seals on the turbo..

If its oil smelling then most likely what I mentioned above in regards to pcv, oil sep, weight of oil blowing past worn seals in the turbo or head, and so on..

o sorry my mistake its 4:30 in the morning and im dead tail tired.but it is blue sorry.

Its oil burn then..get some rest you will need a clear mind on this..Let us know what you discover, goodnight

My car had way more problems when I got it and no matter how much I fix/replace stuff that never gave me a problem goes bad. You gotta be ready to throw sme time and money at these cars, but its soooo worth it. Don't give up!

Get the 5w oil out of your motor and don't use it again. and it sounds like you have spilled some or its thin enough now to leak from the valve cover and drip onto the exhaust manifold and make all that smoke. You have a worn out 25 year old car that cost 1000 and you are putting oil in it so thin that is was not to be used when the motor was new. Why would you use such thin oil. Consider why there are all these different weight oils on the shelf. It doesn't make more power, its not going to make the motor rev easier or higher but it will surely blow all out the worn out valve train from every gap, it will pass through the relief valve opening in the oil pump much quicker, it will flow quicker through your turbo bearings and they aren't new or tight either. Don't use 5W oil in an old motor or any old worn motor parts.

http://www.b2600turbo.com//images/tsb%2009-17-85.jpg

Get the 5w oil out of your motor and don't use it again. and it sounds like you have spilled some or its thin enough now to leak from the valve cover and drip onto the exhaust manifold and make all that smoke. You have a worn out 25 year old car that cost 1000 and you are putting oil in it so thin that is was not to be used when the motor was new. Why would you use such thin oil. Consider why there are all these different weight oils on the shelf. It doesn't make more power, its not going to make the motor rev easier or higher but it will surely blow all out the worn out valve train from every gap, it will pass through the relief valve opening in the oil pump much quicker, it will flow quicker through your turbo bearings and they aren't new or tight either. Don't use 5W oil in an old motor or any old worn motor parts.

http://www.b2600turbo.com//images/tsb%2009-17-85.jpg

i bought that oil because the dude at advance told me so,i didnt think to look what to grab b4 i left.as far as dripping on the exhaust manifold its not coming from the bay its rollin out the tail pipe.

Then your valve seals are old and hard and its just easier for the oil to get past them. You can replace the seals in the car, you'll need to get an air compressor to keep the valves from falling in the cylinder or some poke a long piece of rope in the spark plug hole then you can rent a spring compressor at autozone and you get your money back when you return it, the seals you can push on with a socket of the right size so you are pushing on the steel ring but don't hammer them on, when the seal reaches the guide that's time to stop, it you hammer them on you'll end up pushing the ring on too far and that guide forces the rubber part of the seal up and it expands and then it won't seal well. This isn't hard all you do is remove the rocker assembly and if you have jet valves you'll have to adj. them again and if the lifters are hydraulic you'll have to first bleed them all down and flush out the chamber with some thin oil or diesel, here's how:

http://www.b2600turbo.com/stock_camshaft_id.htm

at the top you'll see a link for a pdf file, that's a factory TSB how to clean your lifters

using a non OEM PCV valve and having your separator system oily and letting oil into the intake and the turbine housing is all oily also makes your motor smoke but if those seals are old they will leak and make the motor smoke.

thanks for all the responses guys. friday i get paid and i will be sure to change the oil first to see if that gets rid of the problem,if not then i guess im putting in new seals.i will update friday.

I thought it was blue smoke? Blue Smoke=oil burn and White smoke=water/antifreeze, as its idling put your hand or a rag at the tail pipe for a few seconds then smell it..

If its sweet smelling its antifreeze most likely a headgasket or blown seals on the turbo..

If its oil smelling then most likely what I mentioned above in regards to pcv, oil sep, weight of oil blowing past worn seals in the turbo or head, and so on..

Sorry to hijack this thread. I have white smoke coming out of my conquest. I just rebuilt the motor and put almost 4,000 miles on it when she all of a suddon let lots of white smoke coming out. I know its either a headgasket or the turbo seals. Question is how can you really tell which it is? I checked compression in 3 of the cyl and got 135 lbs in each one. I do have a leak down tester but did not use it yet to see if I have bubbles in the radiator ( take it this would be a dead give away for blown headgasket? ) How do you test for blown seals in turbo charger? Hate to take my head off again.

Wizard

• 1 month later...
im breathing new air into this old thred,i changed my oil after i was told to get the 5w30 out so i did and that pretty much did not help.the smoke went away for like a week then it came back.on top of that after i let my quest warm up and shut her down i open the oil cap and theres some smoke rolling out of it.i also found a crack in the head today do you guys think thats the problem?? i will post pics shortly of the head. for the help in advance.

Where did you find this crack in the head? Sorry i havent followed the thread completely.

Is your oil milky after finding a crack in the head? A cracked head can cause all kinds of nightmares...pretty much sucks lol