does anyone here do CAD drawings?

I drew up some simple CAD wheel centers and I just need someone to sorta check them to make sure i did it right. they are 3D and i think its done correctly.

If you just draw a circle in your desired diameter- then "extrude" it to your desired thickness, thats all you need to do. What program are you using?

autocad 2011.

i have the drawing done I think. but i'm not sure if it's correct. in 3D line view it looks proper. but i can't figure out how to make the whole center section a single piece with the bolt holes removed from the mass. i think my bolt holes are actually cylinders, not holes. I can host the file if someone is will to check it. I can save it as an older version if need be.

but i can't figure out how to make the whole center section a single piece with the bolt holes removed from the mass. i think my bolt holes are actually cylinders, not holes. I can host the file if someone is will to check it. I can save it as an older version if need be.

i think you can do like a poly line function to make it all one peice, im not sure how youd trim out the bolt holes. maybe use some typr of grid. its been a few years since i used autocad and never really did any 3d stuff. i think solidworks is easier to work with for solid modeling like that.

probably is. but, i already have it drawn up in autocad so i'm pretty much stuck with it. well, actually, i think solid works can read autocad files so if someone wants to convert it that would be cool too.

there must be someone here with enough experience to check my drawing and maybe fix it. it's all there, i just don't think it understands what is solid and what is a hole.

autocad 2011.

i have the drawing done I think. but i'm not sure if it's correct. in 3D line view it looks proper. but i can't figure out how to make the whole center section a single piece with the bolt holes removed from the mass. i think my bolt holes are actually cylinders, not holes. I can host the file if someone is will to check it. I can save it as an older version if need be.

When you drew up the holes, did you extrude it or extrude cut it? In your isometric view, it should be clear as day that the holes are in fact holes. If you extruded them, they will show up as cylinders that can be seen in line view, but not in full iso view. If that's your problem, go back, delete the "extrude" feature, then "edit the sketch" and this time "extrude cut" it.

I work with solidworks, the wording might be a little different between programs but same concept.

Also, if you want to send me the dimensions I can draw it up on solidworks. Converting it is a PITA.

I've got AutoCAD Inventor 2007 on my computer at home, went to school for it and used it at work for a year and a half. Email me the file (dmyers151@yahoo.com) if you want and I'll check it out for ya. Just save it down to 2004 or something.

The guy above me is right also, you want a cut extrude, not an add. It will very clearly be holes. Also, I'm not sure what you intent with these drawings is, but you can make the wheel in multiple pieces and assemble them. Make the drum as one drawing and the spokes/faces as a separate.

Edited by dmyers151

If i understand what exactly you are doing- it sounds like you want to start with a solid shape and (like the others said) extrude cut your features. If its say a 5 lug pattern, you can specify the dimension for the first hole (ie the diameter and the extrusion depth{"through all" i assume}). You should then be able to revolve the hole (create 4 others just like it) and dimension each with a specified distance from each other.

you can send your drawing to me also. If it's saved in an industry standard, i'll be able to open it. I can read solidworks autocad ect..

theworldforx@gmail.com

i do a fair bit of 3d modeling so i might be able to help. Let me know

Garrett

well what i did was draw it in 2D, then extrude upwards the different sections (the center gets more than the edge, because the wheel shells need to rest against something.)

I can't seem to find a way to "unextrude" in this version. I tried "subracting" the 3D intersections but that didn't work

I'm going to have Dymers check it out first. I'm email you or just PM you a link to my server in the morning dude.

well what i did was draw it in 2D, then extrude upwards the different sections (the center gets more than the edge, because the wheel shells need to rest against something.)

I can't seem to find a way to "unextrude" in this version. I tried "subracting" the 3D intersections but that didn't work

I'm going to have Dymers check it out first. I'm email you or just PM you a link to my server in the morning dude.

Yeah, that all sounds right. With my program it list my work steps on the left side. When i create an extrusion, it will show it on the left. If i right click it and can select delete or edit. If it was a 3d shape and i delete the extrusion, it turns back into a 2d shape. anywho..

Later

Garrett

Sounds good Clay. I'll do what I can with 'em.

I did these for a project in college:

This one ended up being my final and I cut it on a CNC mill:

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr71/dmyers151/wheelfinal2.jpg

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr71/dmyers151/0302002117.jpg

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr71/dmyers151/ConquestWheel.jpg

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr71/dmyers151/OtherWheel2.jpg

I emailed you back dude. My program only allows me to view your drawing, I can't modify it. Can you get a dimensioned drawing or sketch? I'll draw it up from scratch for ya. Edited by dmyers151

yeah. I'll see if I can get you the drawing with the dimensions. I'll work on it after work. I wonder why it won't let you modify. I could try saving it as a different format. let me know either way. check your email later tonight i guess. thanks

Probably just because of the different versions and whatnot, AutoCAD can be a pain like that. You can try saving it to a different version if you like, mine is AutoCAD Inventor Professional 2008. Either way, a dimensioned drawing would be cool.