Turbo Swap Question in 4x4 montero

monty87

i have done a 4d55 swap into my 87 raider and successfully mounted a starquest I/C in between the front fame horns with 2 small lip extensions and 2 long carriage bolts. i had to relocate the auto trans cooler but it fit right in there without affecting the front bash plate. i did drill some holes in it for better air flow and piped both the supply and return behind the passenger side head lamp. i just enlarged the a/c tunnels there and ran the piping in. it is all flex pipe but,,,,,beggers cant be choosers lol. btw that ac still works too... Edited by wrngwae

So the new turbo is in, I had to bore out the stock hot side but was no problem, on the first test run I did notice a little loss in lowend but seems good after 1500 rpm. The front bearing was toasted as you can see.

the turbo on the right is a lot larger then any 14g thats for sure

Man its really cool to see you guys doing the same thing, The turbo combo swap is so fun to drive and not real hard to do. To bad mitsu didnt do this from the factory. But in a way its better we have one of a kind rides!!

Also if anyone needs help with the change over id be glad to assist!

Mitsu trucks in either form its still in the front, its the MAZDA 4x4 that uses the rear pickup :) and the pan extension

Starion on top, Montero on the bottom.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1201/1444685583_6188a33141_o.jpg

I ran my pick up tube from the oil pump, My stock starion pick up tube came from that location as well. Not sure what year that one is in the picture but mine was an 87.

I just fabbed up a 1.25 extention from the starion tube and used its pick up screen, Worked out good.

I have pics somewhere Ill find them and post a few.

Everything seems to be working as planed, I was told to get some more boost is to find a three port wast-gate actuator.

I do notice iv lost a little low end torque but not much.

• 4 weeks later...

Everything seems to be working as planed, I was told to get some more boost is to find a three port wast-gate actuator.

I do notice iv lost a little low end torque but not much.

So I have good news I removed the jet valves and did valve stem seals and wala No smoke...

Also had it smoged and it passed with flying colors...

So stoked right now. Thanks for all your help, Time to go 4Wheeln.

The next step is my ram air I/C with a subaru impreza wrx sti hood scoop!