fouling plugs?

BigGuyLittleQuest

ok, ive had these NGK BPR7ES plugs in for maby 300 miles, and i have a terrible miss at cruising speeds(fine under acceleration)

i pulled the plugs out yesterday and they were BAD!

not sure what to do, ive just had it with this car. i just need it to run right so i can sell the stupid thing

i hate hondas too, i daily drive one.

if your fouling plugs you have a underlined problem somewhere you just havent found it yet. black plugs are a indication your running pig rich.

have you:

1. verified cts is good

2. tps adjustment

3. isc adjustment

4. checked ignition timing

ya, i DD this pig lol

ok, not sure what cts stands for(brain fart)

and is isc idle speed control? i know tps and ill check that out today if my meter decides to work

---another thing it does is when i set the cruise or just have my foot steady at any speed, it will randomly start to build boost till about 7psi and kinda sputter and hold there

Does it smoke? Too much fuel fouls plugs and it appears to be carbon but carbon also comes from burnt oil. You car have the oil separator on and using an OEM PCV valve? Valve seals, how old are those? A light even layer of something wet/black on the plug may just be fuel. Might take the OVCP off and see if an injector is leaking. You have a stock fuel pressure regulator? Primary injector clip on the secondary injector? Unplug the blue/green injector and see if it starts.

everything is oem on this car except for the muffler and BOV.

it dosen really smoke when its warmed up(it does a little when its cold)

i just put new injector clips on, which seems to help it idle... i think im going to throw a coil at it just to see if that works

If it smokes only when starting it cold, it is likely the valve seals. (Oil runs by them and onto the head of the valve while sitting) Likely the cause of the fouling, and can be replaced without removing the head. But if you're running rich it is most likely an injector (they run rich as they fail - slow or incomplete closing). Both of these are very common problems as the cars age and relatively easy to fix.

A bad coil doesn't make a motor smoke or even a good one. I'd say someone has at some time replaced the PCV valve with an aftermarket one and it also has some old hardened up valve seals.

If the smoke is black and smells of raw fuel that's something different but that's still not a coil problem its either an injector problem or a CTS plugged in wrong or bad.

Edited by Indiana

CTS= coolant temp sensor, it tells the ECU when the car is warmed up and tells it to stop dumping extra fuel.

i agree with indiana, a coil is going to do nothing for you. does a 20yr old coil need replaced, YES, will it solve your problem, i doubt it.

honestly the best way to quick test if everything is working correct you can start by checking the ECU codes, its primitive but if the MAS,TPS,ISC,CTS are out of range its going to be tripping the code.

worst case, after i get back from branson next week since your in ohio your more then welcome to bring the car down this way and i will help ya see if we can find a problem.

CTS= coolant temp sensor, it tells the ECU when the car is warmed up and tells it to stop dumping extra fuel.

i agree with indiana, a coil is going to do nothing for you. does a 20yr old coil need replaced, YES, will it solve your problem, i doubt it.

honestly the best way to quick test if everything is working correct you can start by checking the ECU codes, its primitive but if the MAS,TPS,ISC,CTS are out of range its going to be tripping the code.

worst case, after i get back from branson next week since your in ohio your more then welcome to bring the car down this way and i will help ya see if we can find a problem.

well the car is in michigan for the week and im in ohio, so when i get back, im going take off the ovc pipe.

and i beleive the temp gauge wouldnt work if the cts is bad, unless there is a seprate wire going to the ecu and its bad

ill also take pictures of each plug when i get back to working on the car.

i just figured the little bit of smoke was from condensation in the exhaust

temp gauge ( in dash meter ) has nothing to do with the engine coolant temp sensor,,, one is a sender the other is a sensor

oh,, for now remove the BOV , (odds are your problem will leave with it :) )

it apears you need to do a bit of reading,, 30 min reading the fuel chaptor will save you 100's of hours yelling and screaming at the car ,,first part of the fuel section explains all the parts and how they work togather ,,need to know info for sure

also you can not build boost at cruise,,if you are you have some thing way out of whack with the timeing