if its not one thing its another!!!!

dannyseps

ok, my quest has been giving me problems starting, sometimes it will crank somtimes it will just click.

I took the starter to autozone ( on bicycle because my dayly drivers trany busted) to get it tested and out of the three test the solinoid read N/A.

So I let the guy talk me into buying a new starter(it was a long byke ride((yes I know autozone rebuilt crap) I got home installed it and

the same $h!t, click! click!

What could it be?

check to see that the ground cable that you hook up to the starter isnt dirty or coroded. i also had a problem like that with my starquest but it was my battery terminals were really dirty. sometimes its the simple stuff that can stump you

i would have to agree..if you hear the click then you are probably getting power to it but just not enough. need to check those ground cables and +cables as well. You should check your battery and make sure you have enough power to even crank.

A big fat wire from the positive battery cable goes down to that lug on the starter that had nothing on it. That little tiny wire plugs on to that male tab sticking out above the large cable. The other lug is the lead to the starter motor. You turn the ignition key to start, the control relay you hear clicking behind that passenger foot cover on the door post and it sends power out to that tiny wire. That tiny wire is for the solenoid to throw out and that moves a lever that bridges that fat positive battery cable to that lead to the starter motor. That little wire has nothing to do with the starter motor turning it only moves the solenoid and the solenoid acts as the switch to turn the starter motor on. IF that fat battery cable is DIRTY at the battery post it won't do anything, it its dirty at the starter it won't do anything, if that little tiny wire is all greasy and LOOSE and just barely hanging on that won't engage the solenoid either. There is a fat GROUND wire from the negative battery post to the side of the block. If that is dirty the start has to look for another ground and there might not be one, it might use the throttle cable or that wire on the intake manifold that is for the sensor ground. Its not the starter, its one of those connections or a dead battery. You can lay the starter motor on the floor, hook a ground wire to anywhere on the motor and touch the positive over to that lead to the starter motor and it will spin but its also needs the solenoid to throw that lever forward as that also moves the little drive gear out to the ring gear on the flywheel.

A big fat wire from the positive battery cable goes down to that lug on the starter that had nothing on it. That little tiny wire plugs on to that male tab sticking out above the large cable. The other lug is the lead to the starter motor. You turn the ignition key to start, the control relay you hear clicking behind that passenger foot cover on the door post and it sends power out to that tiny wire. That tiny wire is for the solenoid to throw out and that moves a lever that bridges that fat positive battery cable to that lead to the starter motor. That little wire has nothing to do with the starter motor turning it only moves the solenoid and the solenoid acts as the switch to turn the starter motor on. IF that fat battery cable is DIRTY at the battery post it won't do anything, it its dirty at the starter it won't do anything, if that little tiny wire is all greasy and LOOSE and just barely hanging on that won't engage the solenoid either. There is a fat GROUND wire from the negative battery post to the side of the block. If that is dirty the start has to look for another ground and there might not be one, it might use the throttle cable or that wire on the intake manifold that is for the sensor ground. Its not the starter, its one of those connections or a dead battery. You can lay the starter motor on the floor, hook a ground wire to anywhere on the motor and touch the positive over to that lead to the starter motor and it will spin but its also needs the solenoid to throw that lever forward as that also moves the little drive gear out to the ring gear on the flywheel.

Well I cleaned all those conections and boy were they greezy but it wasnt the problem , though it was needed, or it would of ended up being the problem later down the line. The battery was week, bought a new one and so far all is well.

thanks for the info though, it did help.