17c turbo compressor wheel

87Mitsu

While browsing Ebay I came across a 17c compressor wheel. The owner states "used but good,fits TD05 shaft,upgrade for 12A CONQUEST and STARION TURBO,also 14B TURBO on 1G DSM because they both have flat backs, Compressor housing must be machined to match wheel." Is what the owner of the compressor wheel is saying true? Because I am looking at purchasing it. Or is this something to stay away from.Thanks for your help

17c is not garbage i had one on my 88 with 68k all it had was the 17c on 15 lbs and a 1g maf THATS IT and i beat a challenger RT 17c is a really nice turbo im looking to get another one and swith from the t70 on my mpi to the 17c and run 22 lbs amazing off the line power all the way up to 6500

well we ran a 12.9 too without any translator of any kind with a little 16g

the sucky stock fuel pump

the sucky stock intercooler

the sucky stock hardpipes through the radiator support

the sucky stock injectors

and everyone is quick to throw those 4 things in the trash can these days

I guess people forgot

Just because you can machine cartridges and housings that doesn't mean it should be done.

You're right, we need not forget the "standouts". It'd be nice if these 'proven combinations' were archived/detailed in one thread (like turboford.org).

well we ran a 12.9 too without any translator of any kind with a little 16g

the sucky stock fuel pump

the sucky stock intercooler

the sucky stock hardpipes through the radiator support

the sucky stock injectors

and everyone is quick to throw those 4 things in the trash can these days

.....along with the stock cam, stock manifold/stock turbo config

didn't that car run a DSM 16g on a custom header & DP ? ....and what cam ? how much psi ?

what were the A/F ratios like throughout the rpm band ?

I'm wondering what sort of impact piggyback tuning, pipes & intercooler upgrade might have had on that car at that power level.

Many roads to the same destination.... always good to have more options

I believe the idea here, is that a 'bolt-on' 17C has proven quite capable, even on a stock motor

I have done the "bolt-on" 17C, via machining the stock housing. IMO it is not worth the trouble. In my experience it would have been easier/cheaper to start with the Sy/Ty housing. The performance on the machined out housing was compromised as well.

Yes it ran a stock cam and the boost was around 18psi and the air fuel was crap and it was from that race fuel. There were about 8 runs that day and the 12.9 was the best and most were all low 13s but there was no way to get that crap out of the tank and the day was long enough. Yes that was a DSM compressor housing using that 16g wheel and the pressure & cfms it flowed were through a hot stock intercooler using a mbc and it just couldn't hold higher pressures than that after it was hot but out on the road where it could cool off it worked and it worked earlier in the day.

Who knows what the air/fuel was, that was before we had used a WB but it was all over the place but with pump gas this is where it was again with a heatsoaked IC and a MBC that couldn't hold high pressures. Wish it had an EBC and some different spark plugs it would have been better but the point was to see what could be saved of a stock system that was usually thrown away too soon.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/238.9.jpg