A little info on surface conditioning discs.

Dad

Perfect example of someone NOT cleaning the block and parts thoroughly before assembly.

Attention do detail is key when building an engine. CLEAN THE BLOCK. Use soap and water, rifle brushes, pressure washer, ect. My rule of thumb on building an engine is the white glove test. If you wipe a white glove or white rag on your block and you see any dirt, it's not clean enough. That goes for all the parts. Then in a clean/dry enviroment lube and assemble. If your rag lands on the floor leave it there, go get another clean one. The cleaner and more detail oriented you are the longer your engine will last.

Edited by ucw458

I have heard that over 50% of engine issues are with media in the engine.

I know of one machine shop that cleans the engines in a different building, and than moves the engine parts to a "clean room" to be put together. After the customer picked up the engine it failed. In analysis of the engine components it showed signs of silicon (sand). BTW the engine machine shop was so clean you could eat off the floor. Well found out that the customers truck had a little sand in the bed. It's believed that the wind picked up some of the sand and blew it into the engine.

Point is clean your engine well and keep a bag around it until it's completely sealed.