CONQUEST IS RUNNING!

asap

finally got the quest running the tap is the hydrolic lifters im running sea foam through the motor so it should hopefully calm down. but yeah just an update. im so effin happy. its like getting out of prison or something lol. thanks everyone for the help, there will be more questions when i get around to working on the starion though so be prepared.

That foam is only going to put more air into the lifters and make them louder. Get that stuff out of there. There is no way to let the air out of the lifters once its trapped in there without bleeding them, sometimes they come and go how else did they get noisey? You added that crap to your oil? Yech.

That foam is only going to put more air into the lifters and make them louder. Get that stuff out of there. There is no way to let the air out of the lifters once its trapped in there without bleeding them, sometimes they come and go how else did they get noisey? You added that crap to your oil? Yech.

How would you go about bleeding the hydraulic lifters properly anyways?

If you loosen up the rocker assembly and have the cam lobe at its base for the one you are bleeding that takes the pressure off that ball you are trying to depress and its much much easier. Piano wire works, just what ever hard wire will fit through that hole. When you do this, and you have to do this any time the rocker assembly is remove to be certain the lifters pump up properly and don't end up prevents valves from seating, after the wire is inserted and you feel that little ball move down the lifter will mash down about 1/8" and pushing it down forces out the air, and the oil that's in it. When you put them in a motor after they have been out you should do the same thing under the level of some thin oil so they are already filled and don't have to fill with air before oil is pumped all through the engine.

The cleaning TSB has you flush then fill them with diesel befor they go back into the rocker arm. Unles a lifter is chewed up or stuck there is no reason to replace one. Here's that TSB link:

http://www.b2600turbo.com/lash%20cleaning.pdf

http://www.b2600turbo.com/TSBs/noisy%20lifters.jpg

Here's the bleeder tool, you get two of them in the package and extra wires.

http://miller.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=459

http://miller.spx.com/img/addtoorder.jpg Tool Number 8351 Your Price (USD) $43.68 Tool Name RELEASE PROBE Description Use this special release probe to bleed the air from the hydraulic lash adjusters in 3.2 & 3.5 Liter engines during valve train servicing procedures. 1999 thru current http://miller.spx.com/img/clear.gif http://miller.spx.com/PARTIMG/8351.gif

If you do loosen the rocker assembly you break the seal on the rear plug so you might as well loosen it all the way and remove the lifters then you can do those in a dish pan or something and use a paper clip of some other wire its just you need that tiny wire, and its a very hard wire and the holder is crisscross cut so greasy fingers can hold it, so it fits through that end of the rocker arm so you don't have to remove them. The finger tips off rubber gloves do hold them from falling out and be careful you don't drop one especially in the back driver side corner where the oil drain to the pan is.

So I think I have to bleed mine. Just to be straight, I should remove the Rocker arms. remove each Lifter and stick a paper clip inside it upside down releasing any built up air in there and then replace them in the rockers and replace the rocker arms on the head right? Edited by jwrape

Yep, pretty much.

What I did was remove them and rinsed them in diesel. Then turned them upside down while fully immersed in new diesel in a small tin and pressed with the paper clip until the bubbles stopped coming out. At this point you shouldn't be able to squeeze the lifter, it'll be full of fluid, no more air. Then just replace and fire up.

Just make sure while your taking it apart not to lose a lifter down the oil drain holes in the head, or the timing chain cavity. Also make sure you put the lifters back in right side up, I let my buddy do mine the first time and he put half of them in backwards. <_<

Yep, pretty much.

What I did was remove them and rinsed them in diesel. Then turned them upside down while fully immersed in new diesel in a small tin and pressed with the paper clip until the bubbles stopped coming out. At this point you shouldn't be able to squeeze the lifter, it'll be full of fluid, no more air. Then just replace and fire up.

Just make sure while your taking it apart not to lose a lifter down the oil drain holes in the head, or the timing chain cavity. Also make sure you put the lifters back in right side up, I let my buddy do mine the first time and he put half of them in backwards. <_<

So Diesel Fuel, pump them out and fill them with Diesel fuel. Can I use anything else. Anything esle more available int he shop like WD40 or something?

I did originally soak them in oil but I don't think that worked. Cause is seems I have a lot of chatter.

Don't use gasoline! Gas mixed with oil ruins the engine oil. Anything you put into the lifters can get squeezed out and it then dribbles onto the cyl head and thus mixes with engine oil. Odds are the teeny quantity that could be squeezed out of lifters won't be enough to munch engine bearings but why take the chance? Diesel fuel works. Even a thin viscosity regular motor oil works fine.

mike c.

I took the valve cover off last night and stuck a paper clip in them and they would all compress really easily. Didn't seem to need bleeding although the top of the motor is rather loud. Sounds like a Mitsubishi motor but I'm not sure if it is loud or i'm just not used to hearing it.