new car new problem

asap

so i picked up a VERY clean palermo 88 starion today but it has a few issues... i was trying to crank it today but it will run for a few secs and shut off and when it does run it barely idles as if its about to die then it does die... upon futher inspection i noticed a problem with the MAF the red wire i believe is torn, with the wire exposed.. the car will not crank and run, it is getting gas and it is getting spark. i already checked. the guy who sold it to me said that it ran like crap. his words were a guy who was intrested in the car came to look at it and while it was running pulled the radiator cap off and felt air coming out of the radiator a great deal i suppose and told him it was a blown headgasket. i checked the coolant in the rad its full, i pulled the dipstick and the oil looked good and black, which i know that doesnt mean the gasket isnt blown... i was gonna do a compression test tomorrow when the weather clears up and see what i read i was told it should be wround 140ish, with a 10 psi difference btw each cylinder max. im thinking the problem lies with that MAF though and i would need to buy one from someone because the wire is broke right at the sensor and i need the plug side that runs into the cars harness, not the actual sensor that is in the airbox.

SECOND PROBLEM:

i hit the headlight button for them to come on because i was checking them out the headlights will not cut on, weather it is on high beams or low. the foglights arent working either. when i have the headlight button pushed in the tail lights are on, parking lights next to the fog lights are on and the gauge cluster lights up like it should, and the two corner parking lights are all on, just nothing from the high/low bulbs... i think it would odd that both headlights be bad at the same time but you never know, any input on maybe where the fuse for the headlights may be, has anyone experienced this problem before and thoughts on the MAF. thanks

I said 10% not 10psi LOL

I'm leaning towards the MAS honestly. Have you SEEN how fast water flows through a radiator? It makes sense that it's going to create an air current.

As for your head lights, your fusbile links are beside the battery. Uh, probably behind a black metal cover assuming that yours will still have it. Beyond that, the relay could be toast. Also, the contact switch within the cluster could be dirty/bad. Have you tried hitting that switch without hitting the popup lights switch first?

On the second problem, the headlights won't come on unless the key is in the "run" position. Do they work when the car is running?

Really? I thought mine could of been turned on without the key in... hmm...

On the second problem, the headlights won't come on unless the key is in the "run" position. Do they work when the car is running?

well i havent got the car to stay running but one time and when it did run it idled at like 200 rpms and died, now it will not crank back up and it seems like that plug for the MAF is the cultprit. mr jimmy would you happen to have that plug laying around that you might have gotten off a parts car or anything? i just need enough left coming out the sensor to krimp into my electrical car harness....i know when the maf went out in my supra it wouldnt run it would just keep spinning over... i know when i tried the headlights the car was in acc. just before you would turn it to engage the starter...

I said 10% not 10psi LOL

I'm leaning towards the MAS honestly. Have you SEEN how fast water flows through a radiator? It makes sense that it's going to create an air current.

As for your head lights, your fusbile links are beside the battery. Uh, probably behind a black metal cover assuming that yours will still have it. Beyond that, the relay could be toast. Also, the contact switch within the cluster could be dirty/bad. Have you tried hitting that switch without hitting the popup lights switch first?

eh typo. i seen your dear asap thread. cute. rofl

I don't have the connector you need. Can you use electrical tape and cover up the bare spot?

On the headlights, turn the key to the position that allows you to roll up/down the windows. Do the headlights come on now?

I'd suggest you pull the spark plugs out and inspect them. Your culprit could be there.

Jimmy

after i get the conquest running tomorrow i am going to start messing with the starion more.i asked a guy in a part out thread if he had one he could sell me... i wish the bare part of the wire wasnt so close to that sensor. so i could solder it.

Can't you just touch it on there and hold it and have someone else start the car?

Cranking means the starter is just turning the motor over its not running.

If its running then its no longer being "cranked".

For some strange reason this is misunderstood many times by many people and I can't imagine why and I can't tell if you mixed that up or not but I think I understand what you are saying.

Your 88 won't run if the MAF isn't plugged in but it will start and then die that's normal.

Of the 6 wires to your MAF only one is red and that's the power wire so yes that must be connected.

Don't put 12v to it, that power wire is regulated from the ECU and powers others sensors like the motor position sensor, the TPS and the CTS and its only 5volts.

well then. that sounds like why it is not"running" only cranking. i mean i can try to see what i can do with that sensor as far as pushing it further down in there but i dont know.. its broke pretty much at the pin of the maf thats why i said it would just be easier to buy the maf plug with some wire left to kremp or solder it into my cars harness and plug it in and try again... i know for a fact it gets fire and gas. so it has to be plugs or maf or both. i will check the plugs and all out probley tomorrow.

Get some fine wire like speaker wire and poke it into the female end of the plug and don't let it touch to ground then tie it to your harness end and see if that is a temp. fix to get it running. Be a good excuse to cut it off for a 1G MAF plug and use one of those.

Get some fine wire like speaker wire and poke it into the female end of the plug and don't let it touch to ground then tie it to your harness end and see if that is a temp. fix to get it running. Be a good excuse to cut it off for a 1G MAF plug and use one of those.

yeah fanta was telling me about the whole 1g maf.. how does that exactly work as far as bolting up? never seen one used in person so yeah lol.it sits in the same spot as my oem on? he said something about the 1g having a extra wire that is unused or something like that