Finally got the rollers in

Szester

Finally got the roller cam and roller rockers installed....missed a michigan meet and nationals, as much as I like working on the car I do wish it would stay running sometimes. Also, I bought them from a guy on ebay, anyone have any experience with him? His name was Larry.

to my knowlege there is only two sources for a roller cam,, one is the magna stock oem roller and the other is Tim C's cams , no usa company ,makes a roller cam for our cars

it may be that *DM has source'd one to copy but i haven't heard of them

idk if it was or not. The cam that was in it was a roller cam that was being used with stock rockers.

Uhh this makes no sense. Rollers rockers change the opening/closing timing... so they are NOT interchangeable with stock rockers. Yes they will physically work but they will change the opening/closing timing for the worse. Mostly the intake...late opening and a early closing IIRC.

So how do these "custom" grinders compensate for this difference using a stock cam and without a head or roller rocker to verify actual valve timing? Do they just Know? I bet most just assume the opening and closing points are the same, and just grind a roller type ramp and duration.

I'm having trouble following you guys. All I know is that there was a roller cam on the car with stock rockers and the rockers went bad so I purchased the correct rockers off ebay...

How do you know it was a "roller" cam? and why did it have stock rockers?

Yes, something doesn't sound right. a true roller lobe cam (cam lobe made for a roller to follow around it), will not run with stock rockers. I'm not sure if the cam will even turn with stock slip rockers on it. It will cause damage the first time around, even by hand, garanteed.

As for the head needing machined, it matters what condition the head is in and what cam it is. I have a split pattern roller cam that works with no machining on most heads.

As far as running a stock slip rocker cam with roller rockers, we have been over this many times before. It will function, but loses torque and horsepower.

The links zack supplied showed one example of how any hydraulic head can have issues when doing a simple mod such as adding roller rockers with a stock cam. If it has the longer valves, chances are very good they won't close.

Found it! It's a....street cam? So would that be a standard cam then?

Standard as in not a roller cam? Yeah. But you need to be more specific. where did it come from TEP? does it say "street cam" on it, or did the auction say that? Labels and names like street, race, drag, super duper stage six, etc. are meaningless without real specs.

and I would definetly take the rollers out. Its not a roller cam.

you see that funny shape'd lobe between #1 and #2 cyls on the cam that is the old na fuel pump operateing lobe,, a ROLLER cam lobe looks more like it then the sliper rocker lobe , a roller cam does not have a point'd lobe,, it's round on top

hmm, maybe I was wrong? The lobes on the cam looked wider then the ones on the stock replacement i was looking at. Is there something in between? I'm so lost right now

Don't feel bad. I've been reading these cam/head/rocker threads for years and I'm almost lost. I'd have half a chance if I had some need to get into it I guess.

you can measure the cam lift to see what it is. Multiply that by 1.4 and you get the overall lift. Stock cam lift is .295. The street cam is probably around .310. You take some calipers and measure the lobe base circle(sides of cam lobe, not the tip). Then you measure the lobe size. Subtract the base measurement from the lobe to get the cam lift.

Anyway, all that really doesn't matter. What you should do is put some slip rockers back in it.

or buy one of Tim's mild roller cams

what is going on we try our best to educate people that roller cams require roller rockers and the roller and sliper shall never mix,, and it keeps on comeing up , is it all over ebay that you can slap roller rockers on and go or what ,, i mean this has been going on for years now , or is it people think we're lieing to them and want to keep this big horse power secret from them , let me tell you something any one NOT selling any thing has little reason to lie about it,, but some one selling may streach the truth more then a little

or buy one of Tim's mild roller cams

what is going on we try our best to educate people that roller cams require roller rockers and the roller and sliper shall never mix,, and it keeps on comeing up , is it all over ebay that you can slap roller rockers on and go or what ,, i mean this has been going on for years now , or is it people think we're lieing to them and want to keep this big horse power secret from them , let me tell you something any one NOT selling any thing has little reason to lie about it,, but some one selling may streach the truth more then a little

Not to mention oiling issues. Can you even use roller rockers on mechanical rocker arms? I dont think so.

Someone on ebay says they are a bolt on performance upgrade for all G54B's and unfortunately thousands of people see and believe that.

So where did that cam come from again?

Edited by PDX87Starion

i have mechnical roller rockers on a stock cam,,running 323 at the wheels 330 tq

so if rollers rockers change the ratio from the stock slip rockers then im not so sure it for the worse,

i thought i bought a timc roller cam,,from a member here,,not timc ,,,sent the measurements to timc

he said those measuremnet sound like it to be a roller cam

i installed it and i was very unpleased,,,,so i kept the roller rockers ,and installed my stock cam

and now im pretty happy

just unhappy with a purchase of a so called roller cam,,that accually looks identical to a standard cam

bad purchase i guess

fun fun

Edited by quikconq

i have mechnical roller rockers on a stock cam,,running 323 at the wheels 330 tq

so if rollers rockers change the ratio from the stock slip rockers then im not so sure it for the worse,

i thought i bought a timc roller cam,,from a member here,,not timc ,,,sent the measurements to timc

he said those measuremnet sound like it to be a roller cam

i installed it and i was very unpleased,,,,so i kept the roller rockers ,and installed my stock cam

and now im pretty happy

just unhappy with a purchase of a so called roller cam,,that accually looks identical to a standard cam

bad purchase i guess

fun fun

You mean hydraulic roller rockers, right? I dont think there are any mechanical rollers.

If you check out TurboRaiders work here: http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.p...=87007&st=0

He data logged the difference in the rockers with a measuring device. The results were, on the intake side the rollers rockers opened and closed later. The exhaust side opened earlier but not as far off as the intake.

It would be awesome if you could just switch to stock rockers and document the change. I'm betting you will gain HP.