• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#1 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Interests:Family, Strength Sports, Starquests, Brewing beer and Land Rovers.
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:44 PM

Goal:  A quick, great handling and comfortable GT car that I can track day and maybe autocross.  I wanted a manual transmission, 4 wheel Disc brakes and 4 wheel independent suspension, leather interior in a relatively light and inexpensive package.  And it had to look good.

History:  Bought the Conquest about 18 months ago from a guy who had done a ton of work on it but it still didn’t run or drive right.  Tires were flat and it ran like crap, it was cold and snowy so I didn’t get a good look underneath.  A few owners ago had done body work on the nose to make it look like a Supra or something and changed the color to Black from Red.  Until this spring I didn’t have a garage or a lot of time to work on it so I collected a ton of parts along with a ton of spares I got from the PO.  I think I have sold the car twice since but backed out, not out of lack of interest but frustration with lack of time.  It’s really been a conflict with everything else going on.  Both of our daily drivers are older and high mileage so they almost always need something.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Currently: With the garage I can make time to attack the Conquest much more often and repairs are much quicker.  I am in the process of installing all the parts I have been purchasing and getting it running correctly.  All maintenance is being done as well as a lot of seals and gaskets.  

Posted Image

Posted Image

Future plans:  It will be a long journey but I bought it for that, I have two sons that are 12 and 9 and would like them to work on it also but my 9 year old just wants to sit behind the wheel and pretend he’s Sebastian Vettel with a 5 speed.  I should have all the parts installed by the end of the summer and maybe start the body work this winter, I would like to have something nice enough to go to car shows.  The rarity would be a big draw but it has to be nice.  I want to keep the A/C and everything else, it would be simpler to ditch it all but I want to be comfortable.
I would be really happy with 250 to 300 reliable horsepower.  I plan on learning to tune it once everything is up to date to squeeze horsepower safely.  MPI might be in the cards a few years from now but I’m not focusing on that right now.
I have been on the Starquest sites for a four or five years but I’m always learning something new.  My wrenching experience is 15 years old and on digital ignition GM and lately Land Rover.  I love the simplicity of the design and can’t get over how small the car is.  I had contemplated getting another Trans Am instead but am very happy with my decision to get a Conquest.

I need to take more pictures for the log book and documentation.
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (Daily Driver)
2002 Discovery II SE7 (Wife's progeny wagon and tow vehicle)

Second place is S*** place , eh.  - Stéphane Peterhansel

#2 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:11 AM

Sounds like a solid plan.  
Make sure radiator is up to par.
Make sure fans flow good and are strong.
The heads are known to crack. So be sure fuel and injectors are functioning properly. And coolant is flowing nice through the radiator.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

#3 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:09 AM

It's running now well enough to let it idle and check the fans, I have a UEGO I need to install to watch the A/F for lean. One of the original running issues was a primary injector stuck open dumping fuel so I replaced them with a known good set but then I thought I was having issues with those, they are 25 years old.  I bought a set FIC injectors and adaptors and while waiting for those I took another look at the newer clips and found a fault.  So now I have a backup set of injectors.

It has a new non-JV head with mechanical valve-train but I'm getting blue smoke at idle.  The PO rebuild the engine and turbo but I plan on replacing the chains and BSE kit for piece of mind.
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=

#4 importwarrior

importwarrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts
    Starquests

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:04 AM

go to
www.enginemachineservice.com

for all your engine needs!

http://www.enginemac...ms/conquest.php

he can help you ouT plus your supporting our community.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

#5 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:08 PM

I plan on buying all my engine parts through there, I like to support the community.

Edited by mbruneaux, 11 June 2015 - 06:02 PM.

Canterbury, CT

#6 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:01 PM

Took two days off to install all four calipers, parking brake cables, SS brake hoses and improve the way it runs only to find they send me two left hand front calipers and a right rear that doesn't belong on the car.  So I cut and split wood this afternoon instead of driving it for the first time in months.

Edited by mbruneaux, 11 June 2015 - 06:02 PM.

Canterbury, CT

#7 autotr8er2

autotr8er2

Out of my Cotton Pickin' Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:15 PM

Keep at it.  The rewards are so great due to how much we invest in these rare cars.
Does anybody offer Lay-away anymore?

#8 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:36 AM

oh man, thats never any fun. Well good luck getting it back on the road and buttoned up. I know it sucks when the car is down and your not flying down a road somewhere.

Edited by speedyquest, 16 June 2015 - 11:37 AM.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#9 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:48 PM

Posted Image It was dark and camera was too low. Drove it to the, as we say here in New England, package store, I have my priorities straight.

It's alive!  It drives so much better with brakes and tires! Next is the steering, the PO but PS fluid instead of ATF and I have the steering coupler upgrade to install.  Also,

1, I'm only getting about 7psi boost but I think it has to do with the vacuum lines on the actuator.  I have a Manual boost valve I need to install.
2. steering wheel isn't centered but that is an easy fix
3. Drivers seat doesn't feel level, there are several huge dents under the car but I think I can pound most of them out.
4. All but fuel gauge seem to work.  I will have to put more fuel in this weekend to test it.

I also realized all three of our cars require premium fuel, one is a V8 and two are Boosted!  We are a High Performance family.

Edited by mbruneaux, 17 June 2015 - 08:52 PM.

Canterbury, CT

#10 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:57 PM

It will be a while before anything major but after doing some research I plan on keeping the silence shafts.  I plan on this being my daily driver and with GNT mounts on everything I wonder if the vibration, if I had any, would drive me nuts on the 90 mile per day commute.
Canterbury, CT

#11 D-VO

D-VO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:29 PM

For what it's worth, I will also be retaining the balance shafts on my build, I did not want to make this suck to drive in the city.

#12 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:40 AM

FINALLY received the Right front caliper and installed it.  I had to order four times to get the "right" one instead of a "left" one in the box.  I think my next priority is front end bushings, I noticed my sway bar bushing is missing and it dives hard to the right when breaking. I need to bleed everything again also. I might just replace the master cylinder, complete the ABS delete, proportioning valve and flush everything at once.

The paint and body work reminds me of the Original Mad Max movie so I think I will nickname it "the interceptor"  If only it was as fast!
Canterbury, CT

#13 importwarrior

importwarrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts
    Starquests

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:52 AM

Had the same problems with ordering calipers.
Eventually hot the right caliper but it had the wrong bracket.
Go figure.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

#14 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:40 PM

Re-installed the FIC injectors and LSP MBV and it runs so much better, needs a battery tray and a new battery then I can attack the front end probably in October......... :(

Ordered a new battery tray.

Edited by mbruneaux, 18 July 2015 - 10:06 PM.

Canterbury, CT

#15 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:36 PM

Installed the battery tray and figured out he battery is too big to properly fasten down and hooked up the vacuum line for the HVAC and it all works!  Started flushing the power steering fluid from the power steering. Found the oil pressure wire broken.
Canterbury, CT

#16 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:10 PM

Pulled the rotors to have them resurfaced, I found a local place that will do them for $10 each if I drop them off.  They look pretty meaty so I think I can use them without a problem, new ones are cheap enough if they are too thin.  I am always amazed at how well things come apart on this car for sitting and untouched for so long.  I will be picking up a new Interstate battery tomorrow and I'm bringing my spare battery tray to make sure it fits.
Canterbury, CT

#17 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:53 PM

The wife took the four children to Six Flags for the day.  I could do things I should do like train or cut and split wood but I decided to work on the Conquest, after I bought dinner.

Posted Image

Now, I'm no lush, and gluttony is a sin so I only ate a few pieces of pizza.  I really didn't need to get something to eat for dinner because Guinness is a meal and Guinness builds strength!  That's why I didn't have to train .

I installed the rotors, installed the new Interstate battery and hold down, new flasher (didn't help), replaced the front sway bar links in anticipation of my GNT delivery tomorrow, and bleed the brakes again getting all the old fluid out.

And my temporary coolant overflow....
Posted Image

Edited by mbruneaux, 14 August 2015 - 10:55 PM.

Canterbury, CT

#18 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:36 PM

Installed the GNT sway bar bushings and drove her a few miles, what a huge difference having a front sway bar that's mounted to the car!  One of the old bushings was gone completely and the other was on it's way. There is still something amiss with the ignition.  I'm going to start from scratch checking the TPS calibration, leak down test and all the other potentially faulty parts.

Got my first speed sticker, it's work at least 2 or 3 MPH top end.

Posted Image
Canterbury, CT

#19 tankbob

tankbob

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:26 AM

I love seeing SQs in rough shape getting proper treatment, keep up the good work!
Posted Image

#20 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:21 AM

This will take a while as I have little time to commit to it.  As probably most people who buy 25 year old used cars I am finding more and more that needs to be done.  But it will be worth it in the end.  It will not be a show car for quite some time if ever.  It WILL be a great driving car.

Edited by mbruneaux, 16 August 2015 - 10:22 AM.

Canterbury, CT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users