1982 Starion Build

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 ZacMan

ZacMan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Starions, Not alot else :).
  • Model:Starion

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:48 AM

G'day All. Finally hit 50 posts, so I can share my car on here outside of the Newbie Section, score :).

I had a few Starions about 10 years ago, when i was much younger and stupider... I wrecked them basically. They all still ran when I sold them, but I certainly didn't do them any favours. I attended a 'Japanese Nostalgic Car' meeting recently here in Christchurch, New Zealand, and there was a good lineup of Starions... I got the hankering once again, and just had to have one. A week later, after checking out everything in the country that was for sale I pulled the trigger on a Black 1982 GSRIII Jap import.

We got both New Zealand New (locally delivered) and Japanese Import Starions here, with the imports being far more common. The NZ New models were european export spec, typically having the larger TC06 turbo, leather interior, LSD's and an intercooler. After 85, they were all 5 stud too. We only ever got the narrowbody versions too, no widebody goodness for us, save a very very few private imports knocking around. Also important to note is that all starion sold here were 2.0l, we never got the g54b either, just a g63b for us.

So back to my car. The guy that optioned it originally in Japan has my utmost gratitude, as its fitted with a factory 3.909 small housing LSD. That's pretty damn rare for a jap import, and immediately made the car worth more than I paid for it (I didnt know at the time of purchase). Also, being GSRIII spec, it has the digital dash (I hated these 10 years ago when I had one, I love them now), and the Velnas trip computer system.

Soooo, It's time for pics, right?

First night in the garage was spent on axle stands, due to the need to aquire some wheels that didnt make me want to scratch my eyeballs out. A friend had some that came on an old 280z he bought for parts, cue swapsies.

Posted Image
Someone, at some stage, has put a few later model goodies on it, like the later front bar, and non-intercooled air-dam. That air-dam is actually a bit of a mystery, I've never seen one outside of the US, so I'm assuming it must have come from over there. Its also been treated to conquest badging and conquest tail-lights.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The interior was a big selling point, as its very tidy and quite original. The stereo and boost gauge were the first things removed. Unfortunately the boost gauge was glued to the dash, and has left a nasty mark behind... I'll find another dash one day (when i find a complete black interior also ;) ).

Posted Image

The next couple of weeks were spent doing a myriad of little clean-up jobs to get it nice and reliable. I fixed a whole heap of really dodgy wiring. Took out the aftermarket headlight relay system, put it all back to factory, and it all worked flawlessly, score :).

Posted Image

The conquest tails it came with were quite stuffed. I've aquired another set from MotoCam360, and am im the middle of refurbing and tinting them. In the meantime I bough and refurb'd a set of early jap starion tails. I understand they're hard to find over there, but over here they're actually the most common. I've got another couple of sets I'm going to fix up and have a go at selling I think.

Posted Image

Once the car was up and running, I brimmed the tank for the first time (EXPENSIVE!) and was puzzled to see the fuel gauge not even quiver... Hmmmmm Most disappointing, cue investigation.

Posted Image

this was the culprit. It hadn't had a full tank for such a long time the sender had corroded, hah. I gave it a good clean up and got it working again. For s**** and giggles, I actually priced up a whole new sender from Mitsubishi, and its was only $160NZ (around $120USD), ex japan. Not to bad I didn't think.

Now I had the beasty gassed up, I couldn't stop driving it. It had a wee miss though, around 2500-3000 rpm, only under cruise. I figured it was probably something to do with the emissions system, so I took the plunge and ripped the whole ECI unit to bits. A very very very long time ago I wrote this: http://prozac.orconh...de/rebuild.html , and it turned out to still be online, score! I decided to see how full of s*** I was, and went and got all the o-rings listed without double checking, and too my surprise, everything fit, hah!

Posted Image

All rebuilt, with all the emmissions guff removed. This gets you down to two vacuum lines only, one for the vac-advance on the distributor, and one for the MAP sensor. Once this was done, the car ran a heap better, smoother all round, the miss was gone, and its was even better on gas! Return to idle was much faster, and the idle itself rock solid. This is when the car became my daily, any excuse and I'm off driving it :).

The suspension was now proving to be a bit tired and clunky. It is some 30 years old, so I cant really complain. I priced up OEM replacement stuff, and it was more expensive the after-market adjustable stuff... So I bet you can guess which way I went :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Whilst I had the front end apart, it became apparent that every single ball-joint under there was knackered... This meant waiting a few days for parts to arrive, but I did both lower ball-joints, all the tie-rod ends, and had the drag link rebuilt. The steering setup on these cars really bothers me, and I'll be changing it down the line, but for now, I may as well at least make it safe (if still vague and unresponsive).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ever get feeling that you just shouldnt have picked that scab? Well, in for a penny, in for a pound. Poking around under the front I also noticed that the radiator had seen much better days. A quick measure up showed and S13 radiator from and SR20 powered model to be a good replacement size. A couple of tabs welded on, and a new lower support made, and it fits like a glove. I've since learned that this is a pretty common swap, but when I did the measurements myself, I couldn't believe I'd found something that fit so well!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by ZacMan, 26 July 2012 - 12:52 AM.

#2 ZacMan

ZacMan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:48 AM

We all know the way to make any car look awesome, is to make it low and fat. I can't make it as fat as a wide-body, but I'm going to have a damn good go. This means new wheels and rubber.

Posted Image

They're copies, of copies, of ray's te37v's. TBH, the quality was much better than I expected, and I'm more than happy to drive around on them. 15x9", with a 0 offset.

Posted Image

I did ofcourse have to modify the guards slightly to clear them, and run 225/50/15 tyres, Toyo T1R's, that I'm super happy with so far. Didn't do any pulling, just rolled the inner lip.

Couldn't resist a set of these either:

Posted Image

This gets me to how the car is at the moment, I'm putting that adjustable suspension to good use.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm quite stoked with how its come out so far, and that's pretty much the look I was going for first-off. There are many many (too many) mods in the works however, including the DOHC 4g63 sitting on the engine stand in my garage awaiting pistons and rods... Hmmmm, 300BHP, here I come ;-)

Cheers for reading all my dribble, I look forward to being a part of this forum in its entirety!

#3 strang3majik

strang3majik

Strang3milk Returns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,010 posts
  • Interests:Life, the universe, and everything.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:04 AM

Posted Image

#4 fijiblueman

fijiblueman

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Interests:my family my car football golf
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:17 AM

B    E    A   utiful car man.

paul

#5 kidjc

kidjc

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/classics/hot rods/bikes, & Definitely Conquests & Starions, Cally Mull & "The Dragons Tail"

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:50 AM

VERY Nice work! Looks Great! I run Toyo's on my Quests. For the all season driver, the Proxes 4, then as you the T1R's on my summer car. I believe them to be the best tires available, just wish there were a better size range available? I run Nitto NT05's on another car, also a super summer traction tire. Very Nice Flatty, thanx for sharing. :)

#6 BAD

BAD

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:50 AM

Looks great, Keep up the good work

Posted Image

#7 D_Venable

D_Venable

Have you had your boost today?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:22 AM

Beautiful

Flatty Love
2011 Silverado
85 Conquest aka DTHSTAR (215whp/251tq on a 12a at 15psi) RIP (for now)
88 TSI parts car
88 TSI SHP Durban Maroon 17C TD05H, MAFT, 9's all around, 13" brakes, MR2's with Anti-M's
Posted Image

#8 Crazy Quest

Crazy Quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • Interests:BOOST!!!!!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:22 AM

That looks great man. Really like the wheels you chose.
Posted Image

#9 rcm

rcm

rcm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!
    Motorcycles,dirt bikes,Old school
    muscle cars.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

Thats a cool flatty....

#10 Eirewolf

Eirewolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

Very nice, very happy to see you are now restoring and beautifying instead of wrecking.  ;)   Good show.  Nice ride.

#11 koulbreeze

koulbreeze

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

Gorgeous

#12 boostdquest89

boostdquest89

*Beer Pong Champion*

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars and Hot women!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

Very nice car, Great work!!
Chad-
When MY doors open up, they Open "UP" ......Im "Lambo'in" It!!
89 Orange
89 Palermo
88 White
Posted Image

View PostAutoBodyGod, on 21 May 2010 - 06:30 PM, said:

And just for the record......I don't do my cousins or sisters because they play hard to get unlike your wife.

View PostKilltodie, on 26 July 2010 - 08:14 PM, said:

I like trailer park boys..., that's about it

#13 ZacMan

ZacMan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

Cheers for all the comments guys, really helps keep the motivation level up for the continuing mods :)

D_Venable - Your dthstar project was also a majour inspiration for me towards owning one again, it was just so freaking cool :)

#14 D_Venable

D_Venable

Have you had your boost today?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

View PostZacMan, on 29 May 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

Cheers for all the comments guys, really helps keep the motivation level up for the continuing mods :)

D_Venable - Your dthstar project was also a majour inspiration for me towards owning one again, it was just so freaking cool :)

Thanks man, that really does mean a lot to me. Right now that car is dead again, but I'll bring it back in a couple years :D
2011 Silverado
85 Conquest aka DTHSTAR (215whp/251tq on a 12a at 15psi) RIP (for now)
88 TSI parts car
88 TSI SHP Durban Maroon 17C TD05H, MAFT, 9's all around, 13" brakes, MR2's with Anti-M's
Posted Image

#15 pc85

pc85

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Interests:Family, Friends, Fitness,
    FAST CONQUEST

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

That was an awesome find, love the interiors and the condition its in. Love those deep dish rims.
Much flatty love to the old Black Beauty!

Edited by pc85, 31 May 2012 - 07:42 AM.

Posted Image

#16 Skullzaflare

Skullzaflare

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts
  • Interests:Computers, hotrods, ratrods

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

nvm

looks clean though :o

Edited by Skullzaflare, 31 May 2012 - 02:52 PM.

Spark plug elimination kit

#17 ZacMan

ZacMan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

So I've been given this:
Posted Image

which has this:
Posted Image

Let the games begin.

#18 ZacMan

ZacMan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

I'm going to have a go at getting a bit more out of my Starion as it is, just for s**** and giggles.

First step will be an intercooler and a wideband o2 sensor/controller/gauge, to keep an eye on things.

I had a play with MAF's today, just for fun. The Galant I've been given has a 7 pin MAF on it, which is apparently swappable into Starions, so I gave it a quick go.

First step was trying to start the car without a MAF. It starts, and seems to idle okay, but has a big dead spot right off idle. Flooring the throttle from idle causes it to have a big stumble, and then pickup. Good, there is some noticable difference between having the MAF plugged in and not.

Second step was a scope the output of the factory starion MAF at idle (approx 800rpm)
Posted Image

After that, I made up a huckery loom and popped the MAF from that galant on, and it had a remarkably similar output:
Posted Image

Interesting.

Also, with either MAF plugged in, the big dead spot just off idle was gone. I'll wait till I've made up a proper adaptor loom before I go driving it with the galant MAF onboard, but it looks promising so far. The proof will be in seeing if they're even marginally similar in frequency vs airflow calibration... One data point does not a graph make, hah.

Also, I have to wait till all the snow clears... I dont like the chances of getting my car out of the driveway, hah! Then i can do some rpm/airflow signal logging and see whats what.

I should be studying for exams.

#19 pc85

pc85

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Interests:Family, Friends, Fitness,
    FAST CONQUEST

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

View PostZacMan, on 06 June 2012 - 11:28 PM, said:

I should be studying for exams.
Well mate, it seems you've mastered the MAF test, HAHA.
Posted Image

#20 Metric-man

Metric-man

Stoichiometric

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Electrical engineering
    Suspensions
    BBQ
    Surfing
    Trucks
    Weather

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

Nice old school GSR, keep the pictures coming,
I'm curious what's the month of production is on the door tag.

What year is the Magna?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users