Lookiong for the FAQ on installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge

iamlew

Know where I could find this (read about it in the newbie check list, but had no link. My oil pressure guage appears to not work, wanted to see how to hook one up and get a reading =) Then compare it, or see how it's all working...

Thanks

Know where I could find this (read about it in the newbie check list, but had no link. My oil pressure guage appears to not work, wanted to see how to hook one up and get a reading =) Then compare it, or see how it's all working...

Thanks

Well, it's pretty straight forward.

I don't have a picture handy, but I know another member will have it/find it ( probably a moderator/Dad )

But on the passenger side of the block, on the front side, there is a small allen headed bolt. You remove that and put the fitting for the oil line in there. Run the line into your compartment to where you put the gauge. It's pretty simple really, hardest part is not binding the nylon line, and depending on where you mounted the gauge how much slack you have

sweet, thanks =) Hey while I got you here, I just found a sweet deal on a rear wiper assembly and power antenna assembly(70 shipped, beats the offer for 75 shipped on a normal antenna lol), have the FAQ on the power antenna conversion? or is just a swap, I remember glancing over something but it may have been in the wanted section. The only real thing I can see needing to do is hook it up to the battery, and setup a relay or something right, to work with the key? If there's nothing on it I'll probably just put it in and leave it up until I make a switch or something, since I have no antenna right now it beats the static I get =p

This is the plugged port to use, non turbo engines put their sending unit here its just for an oil light usually but some have senders for gauges. Its a hex plug you'll need a GOOD quality tool to remove it not a crappy one that will just round it off inside.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/lubrispec00.jpg

The threads on most aftermarket sending units are NPT, the threads in the block a BRITISH and while you can force a 1/8npt in there and may get it to grab it likely will leak or fall out later.

There are adapters so you do not have to tap the block

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/AUM2269.htm

or you can get it here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Auto-Meter-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Indiana

this a good thing as a test or check to verify actual oil pressure but ,you also need to fix, repair the indash gauge,,this is a simple device normaly the sender goes bad a new one will usually fix you right up,, haveing a liquid line with hot oil inside is not a good thing to have inside car ,, those cheap plastic lines are not very sturdy

do not use a test lamp to verify power to the sender use a volt meter

Oh I wasn't going to keep it in just verify my broken unit. If it's not the unit, I'll be trouble shooting from there, once I fix the oil leak I'll re-check it too make sure everything's in order.

Replacing the sending unit should get the stocker working again.

If you want to go aftermarket and have it inside the dash, get an electric for sure. Running a wire is much easier and safer than a fragile, brittle tube with hot oil it it.

Or you could go mechanical like I did, and mount it on the cowl in front of the windshield. I also did this with my fuel pressure gauge, both 2 5/8".

I'll post pics once the new charger for my camera comes in and I can take em.