SFBMX88

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Interests:WE LIKE THE MOON!!!!!
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:24 AM

If your pcm has a tach output signal wire, you should be able to wire it to the factory tach.  Keep trying with your imgur account.  It should give you multiple embed option links.  Iíve been using it for years with no issues.

#82 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 07:09 PM

I got the impression based on the circuit diagram for the 1g dsm that the transistor pack creates the tach signal, not the ecu. In any event I was able to create that circuit with a fairly simple circuit which replicates the signal. I still need to figure out the speed signal circuit but I have a feeling my test bench is creating the issues more so than my circuit design. Based on the information I have been able to collect on the VGS rack it appears to be fairly stand alone. I'm thinking that worst case scenario I would make the system manually operated in a "set it and forget it" manner for a given track/driving day. I believe I have all of the components to make it work like the OEM system on the s2000 except for the wiring harness plugs for the high current circuit on the controller for the rack. Unfortunately they are unique to the VGS cars. All of the wiring is done now except for the steering rack though so at least there's that. I am in the process of rebuilding the rack I got as there was some damage to it and I wanted to better understand how it works. Unfortunately there are quite a few specialty tools needed to fully disassemble it so I won't get it all the way apart. Something is better than nothing though.
proof it did run at one point...
Posted Image

#83 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 01:28 AM

I weighed the car today, unfortunately it's a lot heavier than I had hoped. 2676 lbs without fuel, driver, coolant, steering rack, steering rack ecu, timing belt, crank pulley, water pump pulley, water pump belt, alternator belt, and an exhaust heat shield. I estimate it will be 3070 fully laden with driver. The weight distribution should be 49/51 with a full tank of gas though shifting to about 51.5/48.5 as the tank empties. I'll weigh the car again once it's running but I guess I added quite a bit of weight (***cough t-56 cough***)
Posted Image

#84 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:09 PM

Well the car hasn't made as much progress as I would have liked but it has made some progress. I was looking to start the engine last month but couldn't get the ECU to connect to my laptop to set up the injector size. I tore into the wiring harness again and fixed a few small issues. It appears the factory ETACS system provides power to the gauge cluster and the reed switch in the speedo grounds that signal to create the pulse signal that gets sent to the ECU. My T-56 setup is wired backwards from that, which is somewhat irrelevant since that signal goes to a conditioning circuit that converts the signal from GM to mitsu which needs to be powered anyways. I also had wired the wideband and speedo conditioning circuit to "room" which is always powered instead of a switched powered source which seemed to be pulling down power on that circuit quite a bit. Anyways these fixes didn't seem to change the ECU powering on issues so I'll need to dig in again and see what's up. Hopefully it's something stupid like a connector unplugged. I recently upgraded to DSMLINK V3 so the daughterboard is new.

Also on the steering rack front I've now purchased 3 service manuals from japan trying to find the OEM wiring diagram for the S2000 Type V VGS system to no avail. I've moved on to purchasing complete brand new OEM wiring harnesses which will get quite expensive quite quickly but should allow me to at least put this issue to bed. All of the parts for the steering rack itself are in now so I was able to rebuild half of it last weekend and will finish the other half next weekend. I highly recommend no one ever try and service any S2000 steering rack, let alone the VGS version. You literally couldn't pay me enough to do this again. A new OEM VGS rack is $6000 and after all this feels more or less worth it. If it wasn't for the corona virus I probably would have flown to japan to buy some parts myself that's how bad this whole process has been. The car is effectively ready to go other than these two gremlins...
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users