New-to-me 86 ESi-R in Nor-Cal Bay Area

uggmaster

Hello everyone! I've been lurking for about two months since I bought my Starion, gleaning untold amounts of knowledge from this amazing community. I want to thank you all for the help you've already provided without even knowing it.

Anyways, my name is David. I live near San Fran and have not seen another SQ on the road in my area. My car came all the way from Oregon and I know little about its history. Perhaps someone here will know it better than I do.

I am one of those "young" owners but let it be known that, like many of you, I have begun my restoration with my limited knowledge and skills and intend to keep this beautiful car for many years to come. I look forward to meeting you all and with your help, making my Starion all it can be. Photos to come once I get on the computer. (Could only find newbie section on mobile site)

Welcome to the community and congrats on the new purchase. These cars can be very rewarding if you don't jump the gun, spend the time to do the maintenance, and do things properly. As I'm guessing you've already figured out, this community is full of great information and people, so your in the right place.

Allen

Thank you Allen. I am delving into the myriad maintenance issues. Oil leaks, vac leaks, countless cosmetic issues. For now, keeping her topped with oil and learning not to trust anything the previous owner did. Oh yeah, and trying to ignore its siren song to drive her like a maniac.

Thank you everyone! Any other Starquesters in my area perchance? I see Carlos is pretty close.

The engine... is good in the most important ways (cooling system is in good shape and the head and head gasket are still solid). But as you can imagine I am finding problems in just about every supporting system. So far Ive replaced 26ft of vac line, oh and had to replace the cat for California's ridiculous smog requirements. I have some oil leaks though that will be my next project.

Let the fun continue, really :D

I paid about $320 for the kitty installed. Carb legal. So the cat itself was maybe $250? Surely overpaid.

I will need atleast a precat housing to get it smogged ever again as someone did me a favor to look the other way.

Thanks MrSleepi. We should organize a Bay Area minimeet.

Edited by uggmaster

• 2 weeks later...