I have great friends by the way. A buddy of mine let me tow my car to his shop and leave it on the lift for what was supposed to be a week or two at the max. I got the car all ready.
ported the turbine housing:
put the turbo on:
installed the flywheel (and later the pressure plate and bell housing):
sprung for this short throw shifter which I thought would make the transmission install go more smoothly:
And then towed the car over to his shop. For those of you that don't know, a t-56 does not fit into the tunnel of a manual transmission starquest. I was under the impression it did. I was very very wrong. Countless hours with a hammer proved fruitless, and I eventually faced the inevitable:
A big huge hole would be required to fit that bad boy in there.
for the crossmember we bought an energy suspension polyurithane transmission mount for the t-56, then welded a flat plate over the stock cross member and drilled it to bolt up to the energy suspension mount. Then we built a two surfaces to weld nuts to at the correct height so the factory cross member could be bolted up a-la oem.
This is why the car is having such slow progress. I don't know how to weld and my buddy understandibly had to charge me for welding in a tunnel and adding a cross member while I was in texas. I don't know how to weld, as much as I want to learn, and didn't have the time to simply do it on my own. My buddy did charge me an astoundingly low rate, however he didn't get much done while I was in texas and I ended up doing nearly everything that didn't involve the plasma cutter or the welder. Never the less 30-40 hours at the lowest fab rate on earth still puts a dent in your pocket. And thus the project is suffering a little right now. However I'm making progress where I can. Heres how the tunnel turned out:
This is the most recent picture, spoiler alert, I decided to tackle a major wiring project:
I'm really happy with how the tunnel turned out. We made it boxy for simplisty's sake, however I think it turned out really nice and goes with the dash quite well. We added an opening so I can unbolt the transmission easier for removal. Even though we made the tunnel larger, removing this huge box is hard work, especially when you don't have a lift. I towed the car, this time to my parents house, since I have moved out of the san luis obispo area and will be going to school at UCSD in the fall.
We used 16 gauge sheet metal for my tunnel, but also included a bracing bar that goes across the bottom from one side to the other. Its extremely sturdy, and the metal is coated with something that prevents it from rusting until I get around to painting it. This was the only sheet metal available to us on short notice in san luis obispo. Its a small town. The local mcarthy steel is open from 9am-3pm. Talk about an easy job.
Edited by TsTKl, 12 August 2011 - 04:26 AM.