BuGG

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

Im thinking of sending them out to get rebuilt.  It costs more but I dont have all the tools or the time to reboot them.  Some have gotten lucky with the Raybestos ones off rockauto.  Some other cars have boots that will fit ours as well.
Posted Image

#22 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

Oh I wouldn't do that.

Just did a little searching...JC Whitney sells the EMPI brand that is recommended by PQ in the SOS forums:

http://starquest.i-x...er=asc&start=25

EMPI and Spicer are most likely identical based on the appearance and similarities in the P/N's.

Anywyas:;

SKU #: JCW-EMP862161D Mfr #: 86-2161-D

&

SKU #: JCW-EMP862179D Mfr #: 86-2179-D

http://www.jcwhitney...d352y1989g396j1

kev

#23 duckheads

duckheads

Established Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

Thanks Kev! Just ordered them.
1988 White Starion
1987 Red Conquest fresh motor, big 16g and MAFT (sold)

#24 BuGG

BuGG

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

View Postkev, on 25 July 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

Oh I wouldn't do that.

Just did a little searching...JC Whitney sells the EMPI brand that is recommended by PQ in the SOS forums:

http://starquest.i-x...er=asc&start=25

EMPI and Spicer are most likely identical based on the appearance and similarities in the P/N's.

Anywyas:;

SKU #: JCW-EMP862161D Mfr #: 86-2161-D

&

SKU #: JCW-EMP862179D Mfr #: 86-2179-D

http://www.jcwhitney...d352y1989g396j1

kev

Good find.
Posted Image

#25 BC_99

BC_99

Plays in traffic

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,233 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

So Kev, Your write up doesn't show the inner side disassembled? Is this not a possibility?

BC_99
Steering coupler replacement U-Joints are available here...
http://www.starquest...howtopic=145280

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#26 Shelby

Shelby

Rookie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,164 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

with all this talk about boot replacement no one mentioned that if the joint was makeing  noise before it most likely will soon again ,
the main reason other then boots tearing and grease geting slung out is not enought grease,, the bellows ahould  be almost  full of grease also,, this causes the grease to move as the boot rotates and changes size, makeing turns , the grease is pushed arround inside the joint  there by always  keeping grease pushed into the cups and balls
Shelby trance's StarQuest i-x.net
86MightyMax89Tsi, MPi , 20g ;) (sold:( )
88TSI Silver
89TSI red auto

#27 Ironside

Ironside

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hummmm Conquests ,Starions , Dodge diesels welding and life....
  • Model:Starion

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

The napa cv  boots are nice and thick.  Good quality replacements.
Posted Image
87 White 5-Speed Starion.Gen 2 maft, 3" lt1 mass,rebuilt motor, ss valves, schnider springs, roller rockers new head from Dad, stage 3 clutch, tdo6 18g
88 White 5-Speed Starion, parts car.
89 Red Automatic Conquest TSI, on the road running. Getting ready for paint. All stock.

#28 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

View PostBC_99, on 27 July 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

So Kev, Your write up doesn't show the inner side disassembled? Is this not a possibility?

BC_99

That side doesn't come apart...well at least not without destroying the axle.   So all you are left to do is to clean it up good and relubricate.    Cleaning is tough on this joint, I just used paper towels and just a little bit of water with mild dishwater detergent.   Try not to use mineral spirits or another form of solvent....any solvent that goes up in that joint that doesn't flash/evaporate cause harm....the grease won't stick to the joint.   I used mineral spirits on the other side because it can be fully assembled and you can guarantee that the solvent flashes prior to assembly.    After cleaning the inner joint, I placed a rag around it and heavily masked the joint prior to further work on the axle.  Be very carefull that you do not get any foreign debris in the joint!

Shelby's response reminded me of something that I forgot to share and is almost impossible to capture in photos..   When you install the boots;  Prior to installing the bands, I carefully push a small dowel up under the axle shaft side of the boot.   This is to allow a path for the trapped air in the boot to escape...squeeze the boot slightly to let out the air and then pull out the dowel.   Then twist the axle around to move the grease within the joint and bellows boot.   As shelby mentioned, it is very important to get the entire area greased including the boot section.  

kev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users