77 replies to this topic

#41 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:35 AM

Thanks guys. I'm not at my computer with ASA so I'll look up the part number tomorrow
proof it did run at one point...
Posted Image

#42 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

Here's the Radiator Water Temp Switch Part Number: MB356704
So continuing with with build story. Today we focus on the Interior and Wiring.
I decided that I wanted to make the car lighter by removing any un-needed Wires and sound deadening. Since I was removing the AC, ABS, Cruise control, and other electronic devices I decided I didn't want any of the wires for those systems there. I removed EVERY SINGLE WIRE from the whole car, and started from scratch:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The last photo was taken in the beginning of the process when I was still removing wires.
Now on top of the obvious wiring changes listed above (AC etc) were some other small electrical changes. I wanted to keep my heater functioning because I don't like being cold and in case the engine ever started to get hot during a race. Another thing I kept was the radio and dash. I wanted the car as light as possible, so I converted to 1983 style manual heater controls
Posted Image
Now unfortunately I didn't grab the power resistor from the donor car so that the fan would work properly. I didn't realize since I was ditching the A/C control unit (which didn't work) I would have to change from the transistor style controller for the fan to the older power resistor style. I found a 91 mazda with a denso fan and was able to grab the resistor off that and make it work.
I wanted to integrate everything so it could be removed easily as possible. My Innovate LC-1 Wideband O2 sensor was one of those things.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The final picture shows my ECU wiring harness, for the interior side only. I added a 38 pin molex firewall connector so that pulling the engine would be easy and wouldn't require any sensors to be unplugged. The wideband plugs into this right next to the chassis harness connector. Things like the calibration switch/LED and fuel pump relay/cut off are incorperated into this connector. Its very nice when everything works together. Here's where I ended up mounting the ECU. No more A/C unit to take up that space.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#43 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:25 PM

After tearing the whole thing apart, it was time to start putting things back together. I made sure I cleaned everything before re-assembling the interior.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I had to convert to an electric speedometer, and was able to use a 98 eclipse speedometer. This was good since it has the same signal for speed as the ECU, meaning I would only have to convert the signal once from the T-56 transmission to the speedo, ECU, and EPS (yes, EPS).
I did still want to lose as much weight as possible out of the dash despite me still using it. I found the factory shin guard had a very large un-necessary piece of metal which could be drilled out:
Posted Image
The factory 83 glove box weighed considerably less than the 88 glove box because of this:
Posted Image
And lastly, not pictured, I was able to remove the large steel bracket which follows the length of the dash. As a result, the dash is considerably lighter and easier to remove/install.
As it sits the car is 99% done interior and wiring wise. It has been very nice being able to sit in the car again and look at the interior, which I really like on these cars. The car needs some money to run again as it sits, so I can't give a timeline on when it will be "roadworthy" but believe me it will be very roadworthy once its done.
Posted Image

#44 creakyjoints

creakyjoints

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

I like your project! Why didnt you use the tach from the same car as the speedo?
the dude in the honda said, i thought you said your car was slow, my response was.. well you said yours was fast so i guess we both lied.. haha

#45 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

View Postcreakyjoints, on 30 September 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

I like your project! Why didnt you use the tach from the same car as the speedo?
I'm not too big on aesthetics, so it doesn't bother me too much that they are different colors. I could always have a cover made or something. The speedo HAD to be used because it wouldn't work otherwise, while the tach still worked and bolted in easy.
I should also mention I removed ALL of the seat belts, and will be replacing the front belts with manual style belts. That saved a considerable amount of weight.
Posted Image

#46 Xtreme Industries

Xtreme Industries

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

damn, this is cool. if i attempted something like this, the car would burst into flames when i tried to turn it on. i suck at electrical stuff.

keep up the good work.
2010 Camaro RS - long tube headers, intake isolator, injen intake, ported throtle body, eibach lowering springs, eibach sway bars, pypes cat back exhaust, rx catch can, transformers decals.
1987 Conquest TSI, 5 spd, B71- 3" *DM Exhaust, Hooker ACM, Hood Struts, Taylor wires, silicone vac lines, fidanza, ACT Extreme, MK1 hard pipes, mbc (13psi), MK1 Shifter, MK1 steering wheel, silicone rad hoses, shp wheels - RIP
1991 BMW 318i - RIP

#47 Starquest87Jimmy

Starquest87Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Harleys, CH-47s

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:41 AM

Is there more?

#48 Jack86

Jack86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

This is awesome man. Can't wait to see it finished.

#49 Xtreme Industries

Xtreme Industries

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

hows the progress coming?
2010 Camaro RS - long tube headers, intake isolator, injen intake, ported throtle body, eibach lowering springs, eibach sway bars, pypes cat back exhaust, rx catch can, transformers decals.
1987 Conquest TSI, 5 spd, B71- 3" *DM Exhaust, Hooker ACM, Hood Struts, Taylor wires, silicone vac lines, fidanza, ACT Extreme, MK1 hard pipes, mbc (13psi), MK1 Shifter, MK1 steering wheel, silicone rad hoses, shp wheels - RIP
1991 BMW 318i - RIP

#50 IntercooledFlatty

IntercooledFlatty

Get Sum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,405 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

awesome build dood ;)
Posted Image
          MOPAR POWERED

#51 autotr8er2

autotr8er2

Out of my Cotton Pickin' Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Keep going man great job on the pedal assembly
Does anybody offer Lay-away anymore?

#52 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:53 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the compliments. I think about this project probably every day but my current financial/living situation is preventing me from making significant progress. The car is in storage and I can't really work on it, but I've got some solid ideas down on paper that should work out really well. Also my new job has a welder so I'm getting a lot of the little welding projects I needed to get done finished. Hopefully there will be an update at the end of next month of some significance.
Posted Image

#53 u2slow

u2slow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:DSMs, drag racing

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

Love your car. Take your time. Enjoy the adventure :D
4g63 conversion
8.89/153 mph

#54 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:03 AM

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I've started working on this project again and should have some progress to post soon.
Posted Image

#55 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:52 AM

good news. i would like to do this swap also.
keep us posted. i would like to see it finished.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

#56 Convette

Convette

I used to driftjunk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts
  • Interests:Going faster

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:31 PM

do work.  I wanna see burnout videos asap.

#57 screemin eagle

screemin eagle

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:48 PM

Import warrior buy my setup!
88 TSI 4g63
03 GMC Denali the tow truck

#58 Jack86

Jack86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:06 AM

I'm curious how well the t56 will work with that engine. Great build.

#59 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:26 AM

I'm not going to lie, a lot of the motivation I currently have for working on this project comes from people constantly sending me links to (numerous different) articles about lazorack's car. I'm changing jobs again, so I should have more money for this project, although less access to a certain welder, mill, and lathe unfortunately. Will have a quality update in 11 days. Promise.
Posted Image

#60 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:49 AM

Great build wish I had time and a place to do projects like this.

Keep at it.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users