#21 BOHO

BOHO

Sucks at life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,102 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

Looks like a great swap. When I pull mine back apart I will do a more "show quality" job. Good work.
87 Starion 2jz

Posted Image

#22 DieHARDmitsu.

DieHARDmitsu.

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Interests:Star Orion
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:09 PM

Looks like you chose a 2g head for better velocity and low end torque...good move. The tires should break loose early in the RPM band ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:55 PM

thanks boho, although this isn't a show car, I'm just tired of getting dirty every time I work on this thing, and I hate rust.

DHM, I picked a 2g head, mainly for three reasons: I'm using an evo intake manifold and the ports line up. The whole 1g head thing is over rated, look at how much power evos on stock cylinder heads are putting down. 2g heads have better coolant passages or so I'm told.

It should spool up quicker etc but I don't think a human could really notice it. Maybe and hopefully I'm wrong.
proof it did run at one point...
Posted Image

#24 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:09 PM

While the car was at my buddy's shop, I had a few other things done. Theres a 10 picture limit, so thats why I decided to split these up into two posts.

While we had the car up in the air we made an exhaust and had the driveshaft made. The exhaust is a 2.75 inch first bend and flex section with everything else 3 inches. Pictures explain it better:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I don't have pictures of the back half of it, but thats the important part. The rest looks like a conquest exhaust. See:

Posted Image

Heres the driveshaft. I painted it with some gray spray paint I had. I didn't have any black paint and I'll never see the driveshaft, so it won't bother me. Again, no rust is the objective here.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I also completely disassembled and reassembled my oem throttle body. I was able to get ahold of some stainless steel button head screws so I could do the half shaft mod.

Posted Image

The majority of the stuff left is the small stuff. Its those little details that really make this build take longer than just bolting a motor into a car.

Edited by TsTKl, 26 August 2011 - 01:11 AM.

Posted Image

#25 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:52 AM

alright guys, so I've got a clean engine bay, an engine, a transmission, and thats about it. What about the small details? Well I went ahead and got a b&m 8 x 11 inch oil cooler. Thats a good start. Here it is:

Posted Image

and then I needed a bracket to mount it. I found this when I was making my front crash beam lighter. Ironically the bolt spacing of my oil cooler is the same as the bolt spacing of the middle two bolts on the crash beam. The offset was exactly what I needed, and so I modified it to work. Heres the bracket with the painted oem radiator bracket:

Posted Image

Here it is mounted:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It has -8 an lines to the evo 8 oil filter housing.

Posted Image

Staying on the topic of cooling, I decided to re-wire my radiator. I discovered a dsm thermo-resistor thingy will thread into a stock starion radiator no problem. I like this idea much more than the oem because the dsm thermo thingy doesn't ground through the radiator itself, it has two pins. I think this will cause less electrolisys in the long run. Hopefully I'll get an aftermarket radiator before this thing is running but its not looking like that so this thing will have to do. Both fans turn on at the same time, and stay on until the temp has dropped 7 degrees F or so. Its a more advanced unit which is also slightly smaller so it will allow for more flow through the end tanks. I'm looking for a plug for the other side so I can remove the stocker one thats doing nothing.

Picture of it wired up:

Posted Image

Along with the radiator mod I needed to modify the stock water pump. I called up jay racing and asked them about a product they make. Specifically, this:

http://www.jayracing...products_id=216

they make a ton of cooling solutions for 4g63s. If your doing a swap I suggest checking them out. I asked for one of these with no fitting welded on the end. This was so I could put a normal barb end on it for the radiator, as well as having my turbo coolant drain, throttle body coolant drain, heater core coolant drain flow directly into this. This allows your water pump to still flow coolant while the thermostat itself is closed during warm up. Prevents the water pump from killing itself. Here is mine modified. I'm going to chop off the turbo side and have a -6 an welded on, since I found some an fittings and SS line for my turbo. The other side is for both the throttle body and heater core. I'll get pictures of that later.

Posted Image

in the background you can see my inline oil filter for the turbo. Its from forced performance. It only comes in red for journal bearings and black for ball bearing turbos. I can't wait to get a ball bearing turbo so I can not have red in my engine bay. Cops LOVE red.

I'll come back and add the thermostat housing here soon

Edited by TsTKl, 26 August 2011 - 12:47 AM.

Posted Image

#26 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:59 AM

So you may or may not have noticed I don't have a brake booster in my engine bay. Thats because my buddy who used to work for tilton engineering is good at convincing me to spend money on my car to make it faster and better. So what does he suggest? Aftermarket pedal assembly with adjustable brake bias and no brake booster for better brake pedal feel. What do I do? I go ahead with this dumb idea. In the end it wasn't that dumb since I can now run ANY intake manifold my heart desires and not have to worry about space issues, and I have a lighter better pedal set up with adjustable bias.

First thing that needed to happen was take all the oem crap out. I found this brake pedal bracket in the oem set up which is what gave me my idea for my mount:

Posted Image
Posted Image

As you can see here we are using the original braket to find the angle of the firewall to the steering wheel mount. I didn't use the holes on this bracket because I also made a spacer so the bracket isn't butted up against the oem firewall which isn't very flat. I used the stock brake booster spacer as my pedal assembly spacer. We milled it down to about 7/8". We then drilled slotted holes into the back so we could mount the assembly to the fire wall, and then find where the braket wanted to sit so I could drill the four holes in front for the steering wheel mount. The design is very simple.

Posted Image

This was before I painted it, but its just as good:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I had to modify the gas pedal. I have since modified it more, but you'll get the basic idea from looking at this photo. The throttle cable would have frayed if I had left it like this so I bent it back some.

Posted Image

Edited by TsTKl, 26 August 2011 - 01:01 AM.

Posted Image

#27 thagremlin

thagremlin

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts
  • Interests:DRIFTING, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, MMA

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

that pedal assembly is nice..i wanna do something like that. how much did it run you..

#28 Convette

Convette

I used to driftjunk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts
  • Interests:Going faster

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:11 PM

Damn dude I wish I could have seen this when I was building my car. Very very nice work with the brakes. I may one day go in this direction.

#29 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:50 AM

pedal assembly: 180
three master cylinders: 90 each
fittings from summit: about 100-150
bias adjuster knob: 180 but you can get a plastic one for like 100 or so
bracket: homey hook up.

I still have to get the car together so I can make a pedal stop that prevents me from over extending my clutch slave cylinder, which is internal, built by tilton, and was exensive a f&#k.

Edited by TsTKl, 27 August 2011 - 03:51 AM.

Posted Image

#30 DieHARDmitsu.

DieHARDmitsu.

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Interests:Star Orion

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

View PostConvette, on 26 August 2011 - 11:11 PM, said:

Damn dude I wish I could have seen this when I was building my car. Very very nice work with the brakes. I may one day go in this direction.
I saw those videos...... you hardly use the brakes
Posted ImagePosted Image

#31 boostdquest89

boostdquest89

*Beer Pong Champion*

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars and Hot women!

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:52 PM

Nice write-up you have going here. Great work!!
Chad-
When MY doors open up, they Open "UP" ......Im "Lambo'in" It!!
89 Orange
89 Palermo
88 White
Posted Image

AutoBodyGod, on 21 May 2010 - 06:30 PM, said:

And just for the record......I don't do my cousins or sisters because they play hard to get unlike your wife.

Killtodie, on 26 July 2010 - 08:14 PM, said:

I like trailer park boys..., that's about it

#32 mb3000

mb3000

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

Looking good so far, can't wait to see the finished product!
Posted Image

#33 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

well its a small update but an update none the less. My brakes work now and my new flywheel came in and was machined already. Once its balanced I can put it all together and then the car could theoretically start, although I'm still waiting on saving up for a new intercooler and finish my new thermostat housing and get a new radiator.

It sounds like a lot, but compared to the distance I've come, there isn't too much left. I'm excited...
Posted Image

#34 yzrider

yzrider

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Interests:Cars, bikes and girls. All too damn expensive.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

I feel like im in the same boat. All my car needs is this that this and that hmmm maybe it still needs a good bit but its nothing compared to the things I've done already. Looks great man that's a sick set up with that trans.
Forza 4 the world where starions start up and never break.

1jz/r154 stock twins for now.

#35 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:24 PM

View PostTsTKl, on 19 August 2011 - 02:52 AM, said:

I'll come back and add the thermostat housing here soon
So its been a long while and I guess I forgot to add this. Its done now though. I Learned how to weld while I was at school, although I don't remember which parts of this I did and which I didn't (most was not me). Here is the super awesome tiny oem thermostat housing:
Posted Image
Posted Image
As you can see, I fly cut the flange so it would be less likely to leak. A leak back there would be a huge pain to deal with.
I also welded up a -6 an fitting on a stock oil dip stick tube for positive crankcase pressure releif. The catch can I started building will self drain into this.
picture
Posted Image
Lastly I mounted my LC-1 Wideband. I can switch between narrow band or wideband whenever I want. I'll start off with the narrowband as its less things to get working when I first start the car.
Posted Image
Not pictured but I also got an oddessy pc625 battery, and made some decent progress on the wiring.

Edited by TsTKl, 24 July 2013 - 11:25 PM.

Posted Image

#36 Xtreme Industries

Xtreme Industries

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:44 PM

very nice, r u driving it yet?
2010 Camaro RS - long tube headers, intake isolator, injen intake, ported throtle body, eibach lowering springs, eibach sway bars, pypes cat back exhaust, rx catch can, transformers decals.
1987 Conquest TSI, 5 spd, B71- 3" *DM Exhaust, Hooker ACM, Hood Struts, Taylor wires, silicone vac lines, fidanza, ACT Extreme, MK1 hard pipes, mbc (13psi), MK1 Shifter, MK1 steering wheel, silicone rad hoses, shp wheels - RIP
1991 BMW 318i - RIP

#37 Confuzd

Confuzd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

Very nice build man.
Posted Image

#38 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostXtreme Industries, on 06 August 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

very nice, r u driving it yet?
No, unfortunately not yet. It gets closer and closer every day. School got in the way for the past two years so I put the project pretty much entirely on hold (500 miles will do that), but now that I've graduated I have a lot more time. I should have a decent update sometime next week.

View Postorange_quest, on 08 August 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

Very nice build man.
Thanks you

Edited by TsTKl, 21 September 2013 - 03:07 PM.

Posted Image

#39 kidjc

kidjc

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/classics/hot rods/bikes, & Definitely Conquests & Starions, Cally Mull & "The Dragons Tail"

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

KUDOS!!!   This is quite an amaze'n thread! Had to go back, & reread, etc. All I can say is WOW!!!  :)

#40 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,369 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

Whats the Eclipse fan sensor switch part number?

Thanks

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users