Taillight options?

Chrome_Rush

Alright, I have looked through alot on here, and even tried a search but cant really find the info im looking for. I see a few different style taillights on these cars and am curious about what came with what. I have to say I like the ones on my 87 quest the least of everything I have seen and would like to change to something different. I evne saw one with clear taillights besides the red reflactor area, I jsut saw the taillight though, not one on the car, was wondering how you get that and if anybody would have pics of that on a car as well. I kind of like the look of a clear lense with a dark backround. I could evne do some fiberglass work inside the housing to dress it up a little more. BUt I cant really seem to find any info on taillights anywhere.

all the US-spec tails have the same housing, just a different outer lens (the red is separate)

83 Starion tails (obviously installed on a later model year car)

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr71/dmyers151/Car%20photography/SANY5036.jpg

84-89 Starion

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/grazel3793/IMG00251-20100303-1538.jpg

83-89 Conquest

http://26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10030/DSCF3159.jpg

and here's what I did with some Starion tails, about 2 years, and around 300 LEDs

http://26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10030/DSCF6023.jpg

http://26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10030/animated.gif

http://26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10030/DSCF5819.jpg

and no they're not for sale, and I won't build any for anyone (not worth my time)

hmm so the lense is clear theres just a inner part thats red, so I take it to get the clear taillight look just remove the red part inside and put it back together? HMM, now the wheel are turning in my head, maybe smoke the inside red part black, than put it back together like that, if that red part can come out, and I cna moddify it or just compltely remove it and work with the inside of the housing with a clear lense, I can come up with some pretty cool stuff. SO I guess what im seeing on alot of the conquests on here are people swapped for the newer style starion lights, I defientely like those better. THose cleared conquest lights from burton actually look decent to. Makes the black striping stand out more. Wouldnt mind finding a set of the starion tails though and modding those. I tinted the ones on my other car black and cleared them, looks killer on that car, but I dont think I care for the look with these tails. That LED setup is really cool, that must have took a ton of patiance. I might try something similar. MAybe make the brake light in stead of a row be the mitsubishi or chrysler symbol lol.

Yeah, the inner red lens can be popped out once you remove the outer clear lens, and you can put them back together with just the clear lens. Getting them apart is kind of a pain. I do mine with a very good heat gon, but I know some people use the oven method to get them apart.

Oh, and there is another style of tail that Derek didn't put up. There's the ones that came on the UK and Aussie cars that have the amber turn signal.

^ 2 styles actually I think.

There's the Aussie style with the amber corners and another with larger panels and a larger reverse light lens. Good luck finding that one tho, I've only seen photos of one set, haha.

Edited by dmyers151

^ 2 styles actually I think.

There's the Aussie style with the amber corners and another with larger panels and a larger reverse light lens. Good luck finding that one tho, I've only seen photos of one set, haha.

You mean these?

Aussie English tails

A bit pricey. The conversion basically comes to $150 US. EACH

and here's what I did with some Starion tails, about 2 years, and around 300 LEDs

and no they're not for sale, and I won't build any for anyone (not worth my time)

Nicely done - do you have a thread about the build-up of these from 2 years ago? I'd love to see the step by step process and the list of components (besides the Bic pens B) ! )

MI-Mitsu

The European ones, they have a rear foglight in them (a European mandate), that's the large white light your thinking of

then there's what I think is the JDM one, which has a large central brake light in each tail light instead of the high mount one

http://www.beyonddarwin.com/starion/taillightpics/JDMYO.jpg

Ineresting, Didnt know the aussie cars were different, than again, not much interested in parts I wont be able to find lol. I wouldnt mind finding a set of the JDM style or just some starion lights. I guess for now I will fiddle with mine and see what I come up with. I tried to pull one out tonight and there on the car so well I might break them trying to pull them off. THey wont budge. ITs almost like I forgot a bolt, but I dont see any more anywhere. Looks to be just 6 10mm bolts.

O come on 2K + $ for parts and you won't build a set? I'm sure you have a price.

Ineresting, Didnt know the aussie cars were different, than again, not much interested in parts I wont be able to find lol. I wouldnt mind finding a set of the JDM style or just some starion lights. I guess for now I will fiddle with mine and see what I come up with. I tried to pull one out tonight and there on the car so well I might break them trying to pull them off. THey wont budge. ITs almost like I forgot a bolt, but I dont see any more anywhere. Looks to be just 6 10mm bolts.

There is only 6 nuts that go on the studs to hold the lights in, but there's also a seal around the lights to keep water out, and over the years those seals really get stuck to everything in there. Screw tyhe nuts back onto the studs just far enought that the nut is flush with the end of the stud, and lightly tap on the nuts with a hammer to get the seal to break free.

You're afraid of breaking them now... wait until you start removing the clear lens. I ended up breaking the first lens I tried to remove.

ALright i will try and get them off tonight, and everybody has a price for anything. Name anything to anybody, unless there already filthy rich, theres a price lol. I hear it at work all the time, " how much would it take to get you to_____".

That is true that everyone has their price. But in general, SQ's are cheap and there probably are fewer than 2 people who would pay his price for the tails, so it's much easier to say he wouldn't make anymore, then try to say he'll make a set for $2k+ and have 1,000 people say that's too expensive for taillights, offer him $100 for a set, or generally bug him with a bunch of questions about them, when the person has zero chance of ever affording to get them. I totally understand his thought process on not offering them. I have wasted HOURS PM'ing back and forth with dozens of people interested in my hoods for the past 6 months. All sorts of crazy stuff- people wanting to make weekly payments for one, people offering $100, or people just generally wasting my time when they know they can't actually get one. And those are just $400 fiberglass hoods. For years when they weren't being made everyone wanted them. Now that I have the molds and can make them, I've sold 2 in 6 months. All the BS hardly even makes it worth the time. I can't even begin to imagine the crazy PM's I'd get for something costing as much as those tails cost to make.

I understand fully, I had the same problem on my forum, theres no body kits avaiable for my other cars, I run a forum based site like this one for them, and I jsut happen to have 2 body kits for them from back when they were avaiable some 10 years ago. ALli ever heard from everyone is complaints about no body moddifications being available. SO I contacted a place got pricing and took them a body kit to make molds of so they could reproduce it. I didnt actually have the molds made, but I put it up on the forum that I was doing it and started a group buy. WEre talking a full body kit, prices would be between 550 and 650 depending on the amount of orders. NOt exactly alot for something you cant buy anywhere else. ALl those people that complained all the time shut up, I only had 2-3 people that were actually serious with money in hand, so I had to scrap the project entirely. I got the same stuff, can I make payment,s can I get it for 300. Um... NO!

As for the taillights, I got them off the car today and was surprised at how easy it was to get the lense off the housing, I only did one but I had it off undamaged within a 5 minute period thanks to my heat gun. I think the hardest part of the project will be scraping off all the old glue before puttign it back together. Im going to fit the housing for the reverse light back into the housing, the red reflector is gone. the metal on the back im sure was originally reflective but now its just crumbly rust, so those came off and I guess I will be painting the inside with a hi-temp chrome paint. As easy as this is, I would think there would be a writeup on the forum someplace. Or at least a sticky thread with the procedure and pics to go with it.

yeah, "clearing" the tail lights was kind of a fad about 5-8 years ago on these cars, and I'm glad it went away, it didn't look right, and I'll admit, I ran it that way on my car for a while. And they won't "glow" as much without those red lenses in there, those are what really dispersed the light around to make the whole thing light up, so you don't get a small hot spot of light

on my flatty, I'll be spraying the plastic housings with Alsa Corp's Killer Chrome (better than any other "chrome" in a can you can get) but it's $40 a can, and you have to know how to properly use it (video on there site shows how). then I'll be putting the red back in, and have my tinted out lens on the outside.

I dont know, I kind of like the look, I like to change up the look of my cars alot though to keep them interesting. I have a few different grills and taillights and healight covers clear side markets, just a bunch of swapable accessories that make the car look a little different I can swap around at will when I get bored with a look. I will probably pick up another set of taillights and do somthing totally differnet with them.

As easy as this is, I would think there would be a writeup on the forum someplace. Or at least a sticky thread with the procedure and pics to go with it.

I had planned to do a writeup with pics and vid and add it to my online body manual the next time I take some tails apart. Who knows when that will be.

The "chrome" spray paint works decent in there and deffinately brightens things up, but it will dull and flake over time too. You can also get tape that's metal and has a shiny finish on it and use that to recover your inner reflectors too. That stuff will probably retain it's look longer and should work better than the paint.

I did think about that but the metal inside the housing was so rusted it fell apart and lining the inside of the housing with all the contours and curves would end up looking like hell unless i only did the tape on the back and left the rest alone. I dont see why the paint would flake as long as I use the hi-temp kind and make sure the leses are sealed air tight so no water gets in. If that does happen over time though I can always open them back up. I still ahve one taillight to take apart, if I had a video camera I would shoot the process, but I just have a digital camera.