outer moon roof seal

lionbull

They are available new from a Isuzu rodeo or mutsubishi Montero I think.

Isuzu Rodeo and Honda Passport... late 90's models. But, like was said... not needed, as it's not a true seal.

That outer piece isn't a seal, it's decoration. Many guys have removed it, cleaned up the glass, and forgotten about it. The actual seal is under the glass.

yep what he said....

. But, like was said... not needed, as it's not a true seal.

Gonna have to disagree with everyone one this from my own personal experience. I'm kinda surprised you don't think that it's a seal Burton. Being a body guy and putting the attention to detail I see in your work. Its a seal as much as the taillight gaskets and antenea seal and seals around the doors and rear hatch are. Keeps things out of the elements and keeps rain and debris from entering or building up. I think the original poster of this thread wanted one for his car not to told if people think they are needed or/not. Considering this is in the parts wanted section.

I agree you could probably run a car for years and never notice an issue and the fenders would rust first but still it nice to have the seal in there...so instead of winding up a debate and getting a locked thread I will just make a case in a separate informational thread. Lionbull I think if I pull the seal off my 87 parts car I can get a pert number off it. Its one of the rodeo/passport new ones. I will post up the p/n

Iv'e used the door seal from a Plymouth Neon for this purpose , found it to be very close to the original ,cut it down to size and on it goes, Neons in junkyards everywhere !....... they we're junk even when new . :D Edited by SOTTY
  • Like 1

Gonna have to disagree with everyone one this from my own personal experience. I'm kinda surprised you don't think that it's a seal Burton. Being a body guy and putting the attention to detail I see in your work. Its a seal as much as the taillight gaskets and antenea seal and seals around the doors and rear hatch are. Keeps things out of the elements and keeps rain and debris from entering or building up. I think the original poster of this thread wanted one for his car not to told if people think they are needed or/not. Considering this is in the parts wanted section.

I agree you could probably run a car for years and never notice an issue and the fenders would rust first but still it nice to have the seal in there...so instead of winding up a debate and getting a locked thread I will just make a case in a separate informational thread. Lionbull I think if I pull the seal off my 87 parts car I can get a pert number off it. Its one of the rodeo/passport new ones. I will post up the p/n

I consider a "seal" something that keeps water out. Tail light gaskets keep water out of the tails and keep them from getting rust damage. The inner sunroof seal keeps your lap from filling up with water. Door and hatch seals keep your floorboards from filling with water. Removal of the outer sunroof trim (I prefer to call it trim as it's not a true seal) will not result in a wet lap unless your inner seal is junk. I saw your other thread and found it very informative, but many of the things you say result from the absence of this trim piece, can easily be explained from other causes too. I've seen both cars with and without that trim piece, with damage to the spoiler and rust in the sunroof jamb like you speak of.... 9 times out of 10 it was on a car that lived in a salty climate... either living by the ocean, or in places where salt is used on the road. Nobody ever thinks to clean in there when they wash their car, and nobody seems to maintain the spoilers by keeping the joints lubed and such. All it takes is some salt water to get in there, create a film of salt and then never get washed. That salt will fester in there, and soon rust will be starting to pop up anywhere the paint is weak, and all over the spoiler because it's made of metals that rust super easy and has little protection. If people took a little more time to clean their roof jambs and protect the paint by keeping it clean and waxing occasionally, as well as keeping the spoiler piece waxed and lubed, I bet almost nobody would have rusty roof jambs and spoilers, wether they had that trim piece or not. Could the cars you've seen this damage on be cars that came from the NE where they salt the roads, or even just cars that lived within an hour or two of the ocean? If so, that may have more to do with it than that trim piece. As far as my attention to detail... I appreciate that compliment, but personally, I find that trim piece SUPER ugly so my attention to detail will not let me put a wart on something I just made look beautiful LOL I was not trying to discourage the OP from replacing it... I told them what a replacement might come from, but given that many SQers like to do things on the uber cheap, I was just informing them that it wasn't "needed" to keep water out. I still say that with proper care of the sunroof jambs, drain holes, and sunroof spoiler, you shouldn't ever have a problem wether you're running that seal or not.

The inner sunroof seal keeps your lap from filling up with water. Door and hatch seals keep your floorboards from filling with water. Removal of the outer sunroof trim (I prefer to call it trim as it's not a true seal) will not result in a wet lap unless your inner seal is junk. I saw your other thread and found it very informative,

Cool. I don't think I suggested water would get in your lap or inside the car in my other thread. Rather in the channel and get to the hinges and regulator and everything else (see the pics) However water from the channel will get in the car if its stuck in there and you open the sunroof while driving.

I am one of those guys that likes his exterior looking original as possible. Definitely not a cheapskate.

I'll look for that seal. Thanks Johnny and Burton for the info. I appreciate both inputs