Questio from a newbie to these cars

bobehud

An 89 ecu helps the car run better basically. I'm willing to bet the ingnition control module (Labled "KNOCK SENSOR") mounted on the drivers wheel side of the engine compartment is from an 88-89 also (Metal box instead of black plastic). These are more reliable from what I've been told. I'm sure a more experienced member will chirp in exactly why, but thats my 2.6 cents!

Robert

it might already have the 88-89 ecu in the car. did you ask the owner if it does?

im not sure if it has better fuel curves in it, but the reason why people swap it out is mostly because, the 88-89 ecu's do not have fuel cut in them. you can boost, what ever you would like with that ecu and it will just throw nothing but fuel at the engine. you will end up out running the stock or 1g mass before the computer. which is why most people put in the maf-t to over come that part, also for the reason of it being tunable.

you can swap the internals quite easy aswell, since the 88-89 ecu's bolt up differently then the 87's. Its quite simple to just pop the ecu's open and swap internals out, which leaves for a practically direct plug and play up grade.

Daniel

I swear..

You guys and that damn "fuel cut".

It doesn't exist(maybe for 86's). The ECU is being fed garbage MAS signals(airflow too fast/much), and has no idea what fuel "plot" to use, so it goes "Durrrrrrr" until you back off the throttle. This is why the 1G MAS is an upgrade of sorts, it doesn't freak out when the airflow speeds up from higher boost, or the volume passing through it increases from a larger turbo.

Same thing with the TPS and its "dead/flat" spots, funky TPS voltage makes the ECU think something else is going on, like "throttle plate is closed" when in reality you have your foot through the floor.

The ECU fuel maps were continuously worked on over the years. OEM ECU's don't allow larger injectors at all, piggybacks(MAF-T, SAFC, AEM FI/C, Greddy Emanage) do that by altering the only thing our ECU understands, MAS airflow signals.