Anyone an engineer here???

J_Copeland

I'm not sure why I never thought of this before.

If I have some prints on the actual dimensions of our starquest wheels,I could turn the lips and faces on one of my CNC lathes at work.

It would save alot of polishing time and I believe I could get a finish some would be very happy with.

LMK if this is a dumb idea or not.

Graduated engineering student, but I'm not currently employed as an engineer. It's a sound idea. I know there are companies that offer a service like this, although I'm not sure how they exactly do it. Ultimately a coordinate measuring machine would be the spot on way to go to find dimensions, but with a lot of patience you can also use the CNC machine and a tool tip to find dimensions within .005" without much hassle.

aerospace engineer.

yea that'll work, but if your off...your screwed lol the wheel balance could be severly damaged if theres in perfections. but boy oh boy can u get a finish!!

http://www.lehigh-lathe.com/Photo-Sized/Facing-Tool.jpg

Graduated engineering student, but I'm not currently employed as an engineer. It's a sound idea. I know there are companies that offer a service like this, although I'm not sure how they exactly do it. Ultimately a coordinate measuring machine would be the spot on way to go to find dimensions, but with a lot of patience you can also use the CNC machine and a tool tip to find dimensions within .005" without much hassle.

I could measure them on the CMM's I use at work, but I don't think they'd be too thrilled with me breaching the cleanroom to bring in a rim or two and halting production for 6-8hrs while they clean everything. LOL

I could measure them on the CMM's I use at work, but I don't think they'd be too thrilled with me breaching the cleanroom to bring in a rim or two and halting production for 6-8hrs while they clean everything. LOL

industrial/mechanical engineer...

yes it can be done, but frankly the effort would be too much ( at least for me). I don't see much difference between 14" pump impeller refurbishing vs a rim....I paid Keystone, when I was in NY and withing month and a half i had my wheels refurbished ( machined/trued, polished, resealed/cleared) and as i recall it was just over $100 a wheel, but that was jeez like 10 years ago...

Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineer

Yep, it's possible, but as posted above, if your out of center a little too much, your wheel(s) are no longer any good.

JustPaus, what are you working with on those CMM's? I used to work for a place in NJ where I programmed and ran a CMM to measure filter housings and covers for Telecom antennas.

Thinking more about it, if you could get a hub centered in a good 4 jaw independent chuck (indicate off the inside finished surfaces), you could probably bolt the wheel up to it if your lathe could swing a 16" diameter work piece. Then just run it with a tool bit that has a nice radius on it for a really good finish. High RPM, low feed.

Just a thought though, I haven't laid a hand on a CNC lathe (or any lathe for that matter) in like 2 years.

Edited by dmyers151