Synapse bov

mike43

Hi,

I was in search to purchase a bov and came across the Synapse bov and looks pretty impressive, came across a company that is willing to give a GP. Is anyone interested, waiting on price confirmation with either alum/steel mount.

Mike

even though this is the "iconic synchronic" bov I do see some problems using this on a quest still running a MAS.

They say on their site that it is a normally open pull type and that it is open under vacuum. This will equate to a big vacuum leak that will cause problems on a MAS equipped car. This type can only be used on a MAP car. they say at the bottom that you should run it recirculating for maximum performance and reliability on a MAF car. what they should have said was if you have a mass air flow sensor your car will run like crap under vacuum conditions unless you run recirculating.

I am not bashing this at all. It seems to be a good design if used with a MAP or recirculating. I just don't want people getting them and then not understanding why their car runs badly after installing it to vent to the atmosphere. So please pay attention to your intentions if you want to run this at the benediction.

this is from their site:

Description

Universal Synchronic BOV package – SB001A is the iconic Synchronic

BOV that has set the standard for impossibly fast response from a BOV/DV.

Completely modular, it can be installed as a vent-to-atmosphere BOV or

re-circulating diverter valve. This universal package can be outfitted to

most any application utilizing our interchangeable mounting flange system.

By design, it is a pull-type valve only. This means that boost pressure keeps

it closed, meaning no boost leaks upwards of 100+ psi of boost. It operates

in a normally open condition. This means that it is designed to remain open

under vacuum conditions. For maximum performance and reliability, it is

recommended to install the Synchronic BOV in a re-circulated configuration

with the discharge between the MAF sensor and turbocharger inlet.

Edited by travs87tsi

wouldnt this actually pull in ummetered air in a mas equipped car and lean it out under vacum? when hooked up recirculate i mean...

NO, when hooked up properly for a recirculation, it would actually affect running in no way, as the air the turbo is pushing just gets put back right in front of the turbo.

the "vacuum" pull is on the engine side of the throttle body, which keeps the BOV open, causing the air the turbo is pushing at idle, as little as it is, to be pushed out the valve. thus the need to recirculate it with a MAS setup like we have. if it's not recirculated, you loose the air that goes through the MAS, and run rich, because the ECU sees the air going through, so it sends fuel.

NO, when hooked up properly for a recirculation, it would actually affect running in no way, as the air the turbo is pushing just gets put back right in front of the turbo.

the "vacuum" pull is on the engine side of the throttle body, which keeps the BOV open, causing the air the turbo is pushing at idle, as little as it is, to be pushed out the valve. thus the need to recirculate it with a MAS setup like we have. if it's not recirculated, you loose the air that goes through the MAS, and run rich, because the ECU sees the air going through, so it sends fuel.

So what is the consensus ?

ya thats what i mean some air is going back to the accordian pipe past the mass. i gues thats only at idle though.

ya thats what i mean some air is going back to the accordian pipe past the mass. i gues thats only at idle though.

I ran the HKS bypass till recently when I got rid of the cloth pipes and went with the 2.5 IC pipes. So the distributor is offering the synapse for $185 shipped with the mount on a GP of 3.

If the goal is for your car to go WHOOOOOOOOOOOSH! This is NOT the BOV of choice for your car as you will hafta set it up for Recirculating. Unless, as Dereck pointed out, you have a blow thru set up. Most of the members I would venture to say would have to set this valve up for recirc. thus eliminating their WHOOOOOOOOOOOSH! Factor.

So you may be able to get the GP up to 3. I like the valve but won't have the need for it just yet. Can't spare the $$ right now either.

L4S

• 1 month later...

Hi Johnny

Guess I'm the gunea pig, just had mine welded on, just need to run the vacuum lines. The boost line and the recirculating one I'm going to have the most trouble. The boost I guess I;ll get from the nipple on the intake pipe, although I have my evc boost controler going there, would have to tee it. Then the front port need to find a hose that is very flexible that can turn and need to get a bung welded to the ahp pipe. I will keep you posted and send pics.

Mike