4.6 Ford V-8 from 94-95 cougar/mustang?

kryo_strife189

I have 2 4.6 complete engines that were given to me both running and i'm not messing with this g54b anymore. What exactly should i be planning ahead for? I know i'm gonna have to make my own motor mounts but i also need a transmission to mount up to this 4.6 as well. Would the factory gauge cluster from my quest be able to be wired into this wiring harness? so many other questions but i'll wait on those...

if i were you,the first thing id do is measure from valve cover to valve cover,then shock tower to shock tower because that 4.6 is alot wider than my 5.0.also the 4.6 wasnt that good of an engine til about 98 or 99.without a head swap you prob wont gain any power over the 2.6

Yeah, depending what car AND the year of the engine, its a matter of it being a PI or non-PI. PI stands for Performance Improved. They introduced that in 99 I believe in Mustangs, but kept the non-PI out of the Crown Vics and such, until 2001. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm positive the Crown Vic's didn't get it til 2001. The PI engines make more power (better head design mostly), more reliable (due to a better designed coolant passage in the Intake Manifold). There's a few other factors as well....such as camshafts, ie: Mustang has more aggressive cams then a T-Bird or Crown Vic.

There was a photo of a starion with a 4.6 2 valve on tristarion. The engine went in easy like a 5.0 and it needs the hydroboost brakes just like the mustang for valve cover clearance. I would love a 4.6 cobra motor in mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Before 2002, the 4.6, including PI motors, had an older style intake that they changed that DID NOT have an aluminum crossover for coolant between the heads. If your intake doesnt have the aluminum crossover, change it.

IF you keep your old manifold...it will eventually crack (Most of the time its impossible to see) and you will end up getting a coolant leak. My 01 mustang did this, but leaked into the spark plug wells, eventually filling them and causing it to misfire.

The motor u have is definately not a mustang motor. Mustangs didnt have the 4.6 until 1996. 1999 and later had the PI. 2002 and later had the PI with improved crossover in intake.

Good luck with your swap!

You can always put the later PI heads on the earlier engine, and get a wicked old compression bump. We're talking like 80 horse, bolted on after a tune. That would solve every problem. And give you a hell of a fun car.

One day, I might just do this with my '97 Grand Marquis just to see how much fun the Marquis can really be.

Tim